Help I Have a angry customer coming to my house (as directed by the guy who made game of thrones...)

Lil Chillbil

So here is the rundown. 5 months ago I fixed this guys laptop, I put in a new display and the 1st time I put it in there and it didn't work. So I then took it apart and discovered that it has a very fidgety connector. So after replacing the tape that was there to hold the connector back in place and make it so it would never come loose. It was back to a fully functioning state. I informed the guy that his daughter should be a bit careful when handling the laptop and not just throw it in her purse like how she broke the last one. 5 months pass and I do several more jobs for the guy and everything goes swell. I make about $400 off of him fixing stuff upgrading stuff. At a price of $50 a job flat rate pretty much. Doing back-ups fixing laptops/desktop removing malware upgrading his gpu etc. I thought that was pretty fair pay and poured the money I made into my own rig, And so now after not talking to him for about a month he calls me about 30 minutes ago and says, Hey my mannn... Uhhhhhhhh that computer that you fixed for my daughter, yeah um the screen is just blank?. to which I reply "oh yes that one, um so its just blank... That sounds like the display's connector has come loose. And so then he says well i'll just bring it over so you can "tighten it" and I say well that would be a $20 job to repair. And he laughs and says "yeah but you broke it" "i'll be over in about an hour" and hangs up. 

did I break it? what should I do?

i've been a very bad bear...

l.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Call cops, take refuge in bomb shelter and start filing for a restraining order.

Either that or get to a vantage point with a rifle and pop him as he approaches.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Tell him its no longer under warranty

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Wasn't that the problem in the first place? (The screen being blank)

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Wasn't that the problem in the first place? (The screen being blank)

the problem was that the screen was cracked all to hell. He never knew about the connector as I found that out while it was still in the shop 

#KilledMyWife 

If you informed them of the loose connection when they picked it up initially picked it up then they have no recourse. At this point $20 for a laptop tear down is pretty reasonable. I charge way more than that in labor when I work on laptops. That being said just this once you might as well do it for free, send him on his way and reiterate the fact that the connector is loose.

EDIT: So you found an issue with the laptop and did not inform the customer about it? (IE: Loose connector). :| BAD BEAR! BAD!

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Call cops, take refuge in bomb shelter and start filing for a restraining order.

Either that or get to a vantage point with a rifle and pop him as he approaches.

Instructions not clear enough, what if I can't find a vantage point?

1425318_550301321729529_942705482_o.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

Refuse to fix it if he won't pay you. That is his fault and it is not fair of him to ask you do do it for free when it was working when you gave it to him. Your job ended after you gave it back to him in a working state.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Ask him to compromise it sounds like kind of a quick job anyway and if he goes to you whenever he breaks something you should try and keep a good relationship with him so he keeps coming back and giving you money to fix his stuff.

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Just tell him it's no longer your responsibility because it was functional when you returned it to him and what sounds like 5 months after.

PC Specs:

New Compact Build

CPU: i7 8700k (Delidded)  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti ACX 3.0 Black  |  Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming  |  Case: EVGA Hadron Air    

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz  |  SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  |  Monitor: ASUS PB287Q

OS: Windows 10  |  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus  |  Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 5

Surface Book 2 15"

CPU: i7 8650U  |  GPU: GTX 1060M  |  RAM: 16GB DDR3

just fix it for free, honestly it should be a simple fix. for my opinion on who broke it, it wasnt really anyones fault, its just become loose and you should tell him that, you should also see if you can replace the connector so it wont become loose again

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

If you informed them of the loose connection when they picked it up initially picked it up then they have no recourse. At this point $20 for a laptop tear down is pretty reasonable. I charge way more than that in labor when I work on laptops. That being said just this once you mind as well do it for free, send him on his way and reiterate the fact that the connector is loose.

EDIT: So you found an issue with the laptop and did not inform the customer about it? (IE: Loose connector). :| BAD BEAR! BAD!

It was with my shit installing, I forgot to replace the tape in the 1st teardown. So I had to do that all over again 

#KilledMyWife 

Refuse to fix it if he won't pay you. That is his fault and it is not fair of him to ask you do do it for free when it was working when yo gave it to him. Your job ended after you gave it back to him in a working state.

He is responsible. He found a loose connection and did not inform the customer of it.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Fix it for free and maybe he will continue to bring you business and spread the word that your work is good and you stand by it. Although it doesn't make any sense cause obviously the daughter broke it again but I would try to find a way of securing it so it won't come unattached again.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Instructions not clear enough, what if I can't find a vantage point?

1425318_550301321729529_942705482_o.jpg

Use underpayed child labor to build yourself a vantage point before he gets there, shouldn't take too long if you get a few 100 little minions working on it.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

When you send out a faulty repair, this is going to happen.

He should not owe you a penny except for the price of the replacement part if to comes to it.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Tell the guy look man ill fix it for free and formatt the HDD instead.

What are we, 12? You don't do that kind of thing. It opens you up for litigation.

PSU

What are we, 12? You don't do that kind of thing. It opens you up for litigation.

Oh well shit happens right he trusted you to do a job and you can just be like well I suck at computers and it broke you should have never trusted me.

He is responsible. He found a loose connection and did not inform the customer of it.

Hp themselves put the tape onto the connector when the original panel was installed. I simply replaced the tape 

#KilledMyWife 

He fixed the connection and told the customer to handle it gently. He probably should have told him why he should handle it with care but I do not believe it is his obligation to.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

He fixed the connection and told the customer to handle it gently. He probably should have told him why he should handle it with care but I do not believe it is his obligation to.

It 100% is because without a service contract stating certain things, he can be held legally responsible for it.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

If you're charging people to fix their stuff for them, be prepared for this to happen. You're (in a way) responsible for the stuff you fix.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Oh well shit happens right he trusted you to do a job and you can just be like well I suck at computers and it broke you should have never trusted me.

i'm not going to format some guys hdd, that would put me in the wrong. My issue is this is a situation of when someone thinks that ANYTHING that happens to their computer within the next 2 years after you fix something its your fault. 

#KilledMyWife