Help I Have a angry customer coming to my house (as directed by the guy who made game of thrones...)

Lil Chillbil

There's an app for th-..nope, nevermind.

If you still want to work on laptops for your own study get a nice set of magnetic tip precision screwdrivers if you don't already. Saves the hassle of handling the screws. Also screw grabbers (the little thing that looks like the device Arnold shoves up his nose in Total Recall to remove the tracking device) work really well too!

I have small hands for a man so working on/with tiny electronics is perfect for me.

Perfect description of screw grabbers lol

If he hasn't come by yet: just check what the issue is, if it's something you could've prevented, repair it for free. If it's clearly their fault, charge for it.

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

I am like a gorilla lol, I just can't grip onto those screws lol. 

so, what happened?

did he came with the laptop?

what did you said?

even if I wouldn't have the chance to work for him, I would try to explain him that it's not my fault that his (f*cking) daughter is treating electronics like potatoes

don't be a p*ssy

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

It was with my shit installing, I forgot to replace the tape in the 1st teardown. So I had to do that all over again 

The best saying to ever go by, is "always do it right the first time, that way you do not have to do it again" my personal opinion is to fix it for free since you kind of half assed it the first time, that really is not the customers fault. Plus if you do this out of generosity, he will keep coming back if you do not take the loss for your mistake, then chances are you loss that customer and the income that came with him.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Get a legal document that you get signed before you release the PC to them stating that they are happy at the state of repairs and the terms of any warranty you offer. 

so, what happened?

did he came with the laptop?

what did you said?

even if I wouldn't have the chance to work for him, I would try to explain him that it's not my fault that his (f*cking) daughter is treating electronics like potatoes

don't be a p*ssy

he hasn't come by yet, frankly thats good news 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Just fix it and charge for the job, and make clear that it wasn't your fault.

Signatures are stupid.

just use two-component-glue and mould it in place with that. just the way you would use hotglue to mantle something with it so it will stay intact. let two days pass and you could throw that laptop off a 10-storrey-building and the whole thing would shatter to pieces but not so the mould. taht stuff is shock-resistant. but then you clearly can't replace the display anymore. better speak with you customer first about that possibility. and I'd do it for free especially if you didn't tell him about the connector so he will stay your customer and doesn't hurt your reputation. but after you took it apart and before you gave it back to him, cal him and tell him that it looks like it has been thrown or something so he will take a serious word to his dougther.

BUT tell him that it's only free this time and you're making an exception.

EDIT: YO ALIVE YET?? .D

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

say: I gave it to you fixed. it broke when your daughter had it, its not my fault, it will cost 20$ because it wasn't in my hands when it happened.

don't be mean to him use a polite calm voice but stand your ground!

also start think about rolling out a warranty so stuff like this dosent happen in the future. make it around 7 days. make a document saying after 7 days or what ever you want, that you are not liable for any damages to the electronics, you can also have them put contact info down on it so that way you can file them as a client!

Edited by CAKEwasTRUE

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

he hasn't come by yet, frankly thats good news 

still didn't came?

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

As has been said before the moment he paid you for the initial fix and he took it home it was a done deal. Unless you promised him N days of warrantee or some other verbal agreement that extended past the day he paid for it.

Fix it and charge the regular fee, if he does not like it then never ever fix anything for him, end of story. If he ever comes back in desperation for something else request any back dated fee before taking anything new on and ask for half of the new repair up front. If he doesn't like it off he goes somewhere else and its end of your problem, if it escalates call the Police, you're a kid so most likely they'll tell him he is a fool for asking a kid to fix his stuff (not that you're bad at what you do but adults don't use kids if they don't want this to happen).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

still didn't came?

He is supposed to come at 5:30, I ordered a pizza and am sitting here on my laptop watching the clock tick by. 4:30 4:31 4:32....

#KilledMyWife 

He is supposed to come at 5:30, I ordered a pizza and am sitting here on my laptop watching the clock tick by. 4:30 4:31 4:32....

You should know if its your fault or not. If you know it isn't your fault. Tell him when he arrives that you're not fixing it for free. Explain why, remain calm, don't let him bait you. Say you're willing to take a look but your fees haven't changed, (You should have all customers sign paperwork that states they've agreed to leave their system with you for servicing. There is a reason every big company does this). Never let yourself be manipulated and never take a backwards step from your initial position when you know you're in the right and someone tries to manipulate you. Trust me, caving in only causes more problems in the future. If you're doing honest, quality work one guy bad mouthing you isn't going to hurt one bit.

That's not to say you don't do the occasional free simple fix up on good customers but never when they try blame you when it isn't your fault.

If I understand correctly OP is a minor. In most jurisdictions this would mean OP has no legal responsibility to this client. In the future they, like anyone else doing this sort of work for compensation, should clearly show on invoices/receipts the period of warranty on labor and also make clear that parts only carry the manufacturer's warranty.

Until OP knows what the actual issue is, there is little point in getting too worked up.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

So here is the rundown. 5 months ago I fixed this guys laptop, I put in a new display and the 1st time I put it in there and it didn't work. So I then took it apart and discovered that it has a very fidgety connector. So after replacing the tape that was there to hold the connector back in place and make it so it would never come loose. It was back to a fully functioning state. I informed the guy that his daughter should be a bit careful when handling the laptop and not just throw it in her purse like how she broke the last one. 5 months pass and I do several more jobs for the guy and everything goes swell. I make about $400 off of him fixing stuff upgrading stuff. At a price of $50 a job flat rate pretty much. Doing back-ups fixing laptops/desktop removing malware upgrading his gpu etc. I thought that was pretty fair pay and poured the money I made into my own rig, And so now after not talking to him for about a month he calls me about 30 minutes ago and says, Hey my mannn... Uhhhhhhhh that computer that you fixed for my daughter, yeah um the screen is just blank?. to which I reply "oh yes that one, um so its just blank... That sounds like the display's connector has come loose. And so then he says well i'll just bring it over so you can "tighten it" and I say well that would be a $20 job to repair. And he laughs and says "yeah but you broke it" "i'll be over in about an hour" and hangs up. 

did I break it? what should I do?

i've been a very bad bear...

l.jpg

so you are 15 and fixign laptops, and have that as work?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

so you are 15 and fixign laptops, and have that as work?

yeah, i'm fixing stuff 

#KilledMyWife 

Ask him to compromise it sounds like kind of a quick job anyway and if he goes to you whenever he breaks something you should try and keep a good relationship with him so he keeps coming back and giving you money to fix his stuff.

+1, it sounds like the OP's been making a lot of money from him.

Pretty disappointing how the highest rated comments aren't even remotely helpful...

So here is the rundown. 5 months ago I fixed this guys laptop, I put in a new display and the 1st time I put it in there and it didn't work. So I then took it apart and discovered that it has a very fidgety connector. So after replacing the tape that was there to hold the connector back in place and make it so it would never come loose. It was back to a fully functioning state. I informed the guy that his daughter should be a bit careful when handling the laptop and not just throw it in her purse like how she broke the last one. 5 months pass and I do several more jobs for the guy and everything goes swell. I make about $400 off of him fixing stuff upgrading stuff. At a price of $50 a job flat rate pretty much. Doing back-ups fixing laptops/desktop removing malware upgrading his gpu etc. I thought that was pretty fair pay and poured the money I made into my own rig, And so now after not talking to him for about a month he calls me about 30 minutes ago and says, Hey my mannn... Uhhhhhhhh that computer that you fixed for my daughter, yeah um the screen is just blank?. to which I reply "oh yes that one, um so its just blank... That sounds like the display's connector has come loose. And so then he says well i'll just bring it over so you can "tighten it" and I say well that would be a $20 job to repair. And he laughs and says "yeah but you broke it" "i'll be over in about an hour" and hangs up. 

l.jpg

You broke it after 5 months. Dang sith lords. Anyway, in this business or hobby, these customers are aspected. I wouldn't be surprised it their is a 5 part guide to this whole situation. 

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

or.. just fix it for free, then explain to him the situation. I'm sorry 20$ isn't a lot nor is it worth risking a loss of a potential customer who could pay u more in the long run.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chase him down the road with a dildo... hit him with the penetrating side

Character artist in the Games industry.

l.jpg

here is what you do you video record or just sound and when he confonts you ,you tell him that you dont work for free and that if he dosent acept the price and is trying to foce just say that he mus leav now,  but record with you phone in your pocket and if he get agresiv close the dorr or say that you will call the cops

if the issue was caused by you for not doing it good the 1st time then repair it for free obviosuly. if the issue was caused by them then ask for dem dollarzzz.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I think I speak for everyone when I say---

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED

WE NEED TO KNOW

Nothing to see here - move along.