Help I Have a angry customer coming to my house (as directed by the guy who made game of thrones...)

Lil Chillbil

Use underpayed child labor to build yourself a vantage point before he gets there, shouldn't take too long if you get a few 100 little minions working on it.

ok, so luckily I live in california and there are tons of rich celebertys with foreign adopted kids like angelina jolie. What happens if he gets there before they are done? do I ask him to wait outside? 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Bottom line OP. You work on someones equipment they expect it to continue working. A failure 5 months down the line is unacceptable. A display cable should not be "loose". The connector it plugs into should be snug. If it is loose then you should have informed them of this as it likely occurred when the machine was first broken or when you disassembled the machine. You have already admitted to doing a "shitty" initial installation of the part which then you had to redo it. If the connector isn't loose than there could be a small break in the display cable. If that is the case then you still should have let them know.

Either way you are liable whether you like it or not. And since you drafted up no contract stipulating anything you have no grounds to decline.

This is why when I work on customer machines for hardware repair we give them a 1 year in store warranty. If the component fails we can RMA it and install the new part at no out of pocket expense to us or the customer. We also have a form that they have to sign which has many stipulations within to keep us from the exact scenario you are in.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

ok, so luckily I live in california and there are tons of rich celebertys with foreign adopted kids like angelina jolie. What happens if he gets there before they are done? do I ask him to wait outside? 

Yeah just mount one of these outside and you'll be good:

65523_340.jpg

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Hmm i remember the first time this happened to me, you dont want customers like this guy, they are not worth the trouble. You get used to dick customers after some time.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You may be getting in over your head, especially since you're only 15 years old. At that age, the only things I would consider fixing would be within the family and close family; never strangers. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Bottom line OP. You work on someones equipment they expect it to continue working. A failure 5 months down the line is unacceptable. A display cable should not be "loose". The connector it plugs into should be snug. If it is loose then you should have informed them of this as it likely occurred when the machine was first broken or when you disassembled the machine. You have already admitted to doing a "shitty" initial installation of the part which then you had to redo it. If the connector isn't loose than there could be a small break in the display cable. If that is the case then you still should have let them know.

Either way you are liable whether you like it or not. And since you drafted up no contract stipulating anything you have no grounds to decline.

This is why when I work on customer machines for hardware repair we give them a 1 year in store warranty. If the component fails we can RMA it and install the new part at no out of pocket expense to us or the customer. We also have a form that they have to sign which has many stipulations within to keep us from the exact scenario you are in.

Ok, the connector is loose by hp's origional installation. Which is why they put a strip of sticky tape in there that keeps it firm in place. This laptop has been dropped again clearly, and it caused the connector to completely come out 

#KilledMyWife 

Buy a gun. Also explain to him that it was working when I gave it to you, so it isn't my responsibility.

Imtcb4e.jpg

Manners Maketh Man

Ok, the connector is loose by hp's origional installation. Which is why they put a strip of sticky tape in there that keeps it firm in place. This laptop has been dropped again clearly, and it caused the connector to completely come out 

Uh, no. Almost all laptops have pieces of tape to ensure that certain cables do not shift and are neat. As to what caused the issue you don't know. Do you have the laptop in front of you as you post? Is there any indications of fall damage? (IE: Damage to the laptop case, to the screen etc). I've been doing this stuff for more than a decade. You are making assumptions you should not be making.

There could be many things causing the issue. The replacement screen could have failed (it happens), the connector could have come loose, the cable could have a break in it (caused by initial fall or you taking apart the laptop), the display connector could have fried (also happens) etc.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Uh, no. Almost all laptops have pieces of tape to ensure that certain cables do not shift and are neat. As to what caused the issue you don't know. Do you have the laptop in front of you as you post? Is there any indications of fall damage? (IE: Damage to the laptop case, to the screen etc). I've been doing this stuff for more than a decade. You are making assumptions you should not be making.

There could be many things causing the issue. The replacement screen could have failed (it happens), the connector could have come loose, the cable could have a break in it (caused by initial fall or you taking apart the laptop), the display connector could have fried (also happens) etc.

I may be making assumptions but your being a SmartPants, 

#KilledMyWife 

I may be making assumptions but your being a SmartPants, 

I'm not being anything but rational. I've been doing repair for a decade. That is 5 years less than you have been on this Earth. That would imply I know what I am talking about and that I have a wealth of experience in dealing with these things. I don't say any of this to act holier-than-thou or superior. It is a statement of fact.

You have a lot yet to learn and this current situation is part of that learning process. Accept it, deal with it, and move on.

PSU

I always make sure my warranty rules and regulations are clear and signed.

I always make sure my warranty rules and regulations are clear and signed.

Nice name by the way. MTG FTW :D. I still have all my cards and my B/G Madness/Psychatog deck too!

PSU

Just stand with pride, fists up, come at me bro.

Simple.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Nice name by the way. MTG FTW :D. I still have all my cards and my B/G Madness/Psychatog deck too!

Psychatog/upheaval deck won me my city championship in the JSS

I'm not being anything but rational. I've been doing repair for a decade. That is 5 years less than you have been on this Earth. That would imply I know what I am talking about and that I have a wealth of experience in dealing with these things. I don't say any of this to act holier-than-thou or superior. It is a statement of fact.

You have a lot yet to learn and this current situation is part of that learning process. Accept it, deal with it, and move on.

I will deal with this situation, but you are coming across as the "average" nerd who comes onto a tech forum to try and show off his knowledge. and I get that you know more than me, but this isn't Tom's Hardware or Macrumors or even Overclockers.net. This forum is filled with nice people who can joke around about child labor laws and gun violence, were like a family on here and its strange to get people that take themselves to seriously. 

just a heads up 

#KilledMyWife 

I will deal with this situation, but you are coming across as the "average" nerd who comes onto a tech forum to try and show off his knowledge. and I get that you know more than me, but this isn't Tom's Hardware or Macrumors or even Overclockers.net. This forum is filled with nice people who can joke around about child labor laws and gun violence, were like a family on here and its strange to get people that take themselves to seriously. 

just a heads up 

You asked for help, did you not?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

just a heads up 

I never said that you couldn't joke around. My commentary was strictly on the fact that you were even thinking about fighting the repair of the customers machine. You asked for help/advice, I gave you real world advice. Nothing more, nothing less. I am also well aware of what LTT is and isn't. I've followed Linus since his NCIX video days. I've lurked here for a while ,just decided to make an account recently. Don't let the post count fool you. I'm no "noob" to the forums. :P

PSU

just fix the  laptop,never work with him agian.

I never said that you couldn't joke around. My commentary was strictly on the fact that you were even thinking about fighting the repair of the customers machine. You asked for help/advice, I gave you real world advice. Nothing more, nothing less. I am also well aware of what LTT is and isn't. I've followed Linus since his NCIX video days. I've lurked here for a while ,just decided to make an account recently. Don't let the post count fool you. I'm no "noob" to the forums. :P

mmkay mr mackey :P

I will prolly have to fix the laptop, but I have chubby fingers and I have this new policy where I generally don't work on anything but Desktops 

#KilledMyWife 

mmkay mr mackey :P

I will prolly have to fix the laptop, but I have chubby fingers and I have this new policy where I generally don't work on anything but Desktops 

What are you going to say when someone else asks you to fix their laptop? "Sorry, my fingers are chubby." :P

What are you going to say when someone else asks you to fix their laptop? "Sorry, my fingers are chubby." :P

I am like a gorilla lol, I just can't grip onto those screws lol. 

#KilledMyWife 

I am like a gorilla lol, I just can't grip onto those screws lol. 

There's an app for th-..nope, nevermind.

If you still want to work on laptops for your own study get a nice set of magnetic tip precision screwdrivers if you don't already. Saves the hassle of handling the screws. Also screw grabbers (the little thing that looks like the device Arnold shoves up his nose in Total Recall to remove the tracking device) work really well too!

I have small hands for a man so working on/with tiny electronics is perfect for me.

PSU

If you informed them of the loose connection when they picked it up initially picked it up then they have no recourse. At this point $20 for a laptop tear down is pretty reasonable. I charge way more than that in labor when I work on laptops. That being said just this once you might as well do it for free, send him on his way and reiterate the fact that the connector is loose.

EDIT: So you found an issue with the laptop and did not inform the customer about it? (IE: Loose connector). :| BAD BEAR! BAD!

For something as little as 20$ better not to piss of repeat bussines. I know I was on the other side of a situation like this before I knew much about tech. It is very easy to feel like you are being tech guys, but a nice gesture goes a long way.

i would just fix it for free its not big a job anyway 

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?