CHEAP Korean 144Hz Gaming Monitor - Classic Unboxing

3 hours ago, Dr. KEK said:

Linus, the man that uses the buttons on the BACK of the monitor, even though it came with a REMOTE CONTROL

Like me.

OK, so, there's a monitor that caught Linus' interest, is not very common, so I'd expect at least ... you know ... some kind of information about it when video is made. Just like with that cringeworthy non-review of Korean 3440x1440 Freesync monitor with (at that time) brand new Samsung panel, this video left many questions unanswered.

1. Freesync range?

2. Which DisplayPort standard it supports?

3. Which HDMI standard it supports?

4. PIP, picture by picture, ...?

5. Does it have scaler, how it behaves with lower resolutions, etc?

6. Overclockable?

7. Color uniformity, color output, backlight bleed, IPS glow, and other ... kind of important things for IPS panels?

5. Where to order, availability?

Do not get me wrong, but this is getting more into "reality show" and not "tech information" territory. To make matters worse, half of video is dedicated to different product - without even telling basic things about it, like, for example, do those graphic cards even support Freesync to make video relevant in first place? Why even bother then?

11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Or if you're with green team, you can get the cheapest Gsync equivalent for only double the price!

Would not consider a B-Grade AUO AH-VA with a 30-90 freesync window to be anywhere near equivalent to any of those AUO G-Sync panels. In fact, I don't even consider the AUO AHVA G-Sync panels to be anywhere near as good as their TN panels due to the color uniformity issues that plague those panels, lol. The S2417DG has gone on sale for $350 quite often, and even as a TN, it's a far better deal than both this korean panel AND those "IPS" panels if you are on the green side.

If you want more information about the Crossover Fast and it's freesync issues, there is an entire thread dedicated to it: http://www.overclock.net/t/1594755/crossover-27v-27100q-27-fast-144-27-matte-60-100-144hz-1440p-ahva-with-free-sync

Hopefully once Freesync 2 comes along, this freesync range issue will be resolved. At the moment, it's basically a roll of the dice with the range you get, as some are reporting 40-75, while others are reporting 30-90. They do include a guide to bypass the freesync range with EDID editing, but that's pretty hit or miss.

While I know it's wishful thinking to expect an in-depth review of a cheapo korean monitor, I would have loved to see some frameskipping tests in the video along with actual tests of the freesync range. As it currently sits, this video makes the monitor look like a perfect deal without pointing out any real downsides aside from the complaints he had with the OSD buttons (and lack of remote batteries). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Holy wow.  $300 isn't THAT cheap.  D:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

wow all 335 monitors sold since this video was published.  The review was not very informative either.  Just goes to show the value of a positive review from Linus.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Wish it was still on sale, it's like 420 now on ebay and around 600 on amazon :/

8 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

But not batteries.

quarter million$$ in RED cameras and a pack of AAA's is nowhere to be found. 

mfw I purchased a 144hz dell panel for almost the same price on sale

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

20 hours ago, MageTank said:

Would not consider a B-Grade AUO AH-VA with a 30-90 freesync window to be anywhere near equivalent to any of those AUO G-Sync panels. In fact, I don't even consider the AUO AHVA G-Sync panels to be anywhere near as good as their TN panels due to the color uniformity issues that plague those panels, lol.

downsides aside from the complaints he had with the OSD buttons (and lack of remote batteries). 

mmmh, you justify nothing, argue that you are right how you want people taking you seriously.

i would be really amazed to see a TN panel better than an IPS one in ANY CASE. TN has always been bad for color quality/colors reproduction, uniformity, ...

to my knowledge the only way they found is to higher the resolution, WQHD looks better but even ips win really far the contest.

i would be really interested in such a panel. wanting to game with better colors than my "cheap" 144TN, for example for non fps games, wanting to see movies with decent colors (that my tn can't), would be a very good choice at a price i can pay for. For me theses others Asus / Acer FAST IPS at the price of a full config are really too expensive for me. $300 is a sweet spot.

and i think you are really going too far saying it wont last 6-12months.. korea is the first country of the world for gaming, i think they know what is a gaming usage. also really i never sawn anyone telling his monitor, even an ultra cheap one, bugged or died and that they had to buy a new one. it happen but i think it's the same for any brand. 

About that maybe "B type", i think we don't know, nobody reviewed this monitor, and if light uniformity; ips defaults are a bit worse with that monitor than with an high end one, it still worth the $400/$500 saved.

In addition to the fact that ANYWAY, even the high end very expensive fast asus / acer ips are basically not made for photo / movies, and are still bad at that compare to the other one, non gaming, more cheaper, made especially for basic usage (movies, web, photos, etc..).

Really, when i'm sure there is not BIG default on this monitor, like even with an ICC impossible to have good colors, or light uniformity really that bad, i think i will buy it. perfect for movies, photo and non fps gaming.

there's something i don't really understand on their description though, they say :

* Graphic Card Compatibility
- It uses Bypass type board. Compatibility issue with Graphic card and Mainboards may occur. Please check the compatibility before purchase.

And my GPU, 1060 6GB, is not listed...

Are you even TRYING with the videos lately? I think you are just trying to lure old viewers back with these unboxings. It's not working very well. We don't want sponsored bs, we want unbiased reviews and great build guides that can still be sponsored, but you shouldn't be recommending $120 cases with $1000 computers unlike the terrible i5 build video.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, JDE said:

Are you even TRYING with the videos lately? I think you are just trying to lure old viewers back with these unboxings. It's not working very well. We don't want sponsored bs, we want unbiased reviews and great build guides that can still be sponsored, but you shouldn't be recommending $120 cases with $1000 computers unlike the terrible i5 build video.

This video wasn't sponsored by either Xforma.com (Charles is an old buddy) or Ziotac (they just told me about the monitor and sent it over when I said it sounded pretty good). 

Also, literally the last thing uploaded is a sponsored build log (and a super cool one at that). If you're not watching (or paying attention to) the content there isn't much I can do to draw you back in :P

2 hours ago, JDE said:

wasn't even sponsored lmao

18 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

This video wasn't sponsored by either Xforma.com (Charles is an old buddy) or Ziotac (they just told me about the monitor and sent it over when I said it sounded pretty good). 

Also, literally the last thing uploaded is a sponsored build log (and a super cool one at that). If you're not watching (or paying attention to) the content there isn't much I can do to draw you back in :P

At least a single somewhat budget (and not sponsored as f***) build guide a year????????? :ph34r:

This review sounded really sponsored, assumed it was :P

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 hours ago, irrelevancyhack said:

mmmh, you justify nothing, argue that you are right how you want people taking you seriously.

i would be really amazed to see a TN panel better than an IPS one in ANY CASE. TN has always been bad for color quality/colors reproduction, uniformity, ...

to my knowledge the only way they found is to higher the resolution, WQHD looks better but even ips win really far the contest.

i would be really interested in such a panel. wanting to game with better colors than my "cheap" 144TN, for example for non fps games, wanting to see movies with decent colors (that my tn can't), would be a very good choice at a price i can pay for. For me theses others Asus / Acer FAST IPS at the price of a full config are really too expensive for me. $300 is a sweet spot.

and i think you are really going too far saying it wont last 6-12months.. korea is the first country of the world for gaming, i think they know what is a gaming usage. also really i never sawn anyone telling his monitor, even an ultra cheap one, bugged or died and that they had to buy a new one. it happen but i think it's the same for any brand. 

About that maybe "B type", i think we don't know, nobody reviewed this monitor, and if light uniformity; ips defaults are a bit worse with that monitor than with an high end one, it still worth the $400/$500 saved.

In addition to the fact that ANYWAY, even the high end very expensive fast asus / acer ips are basically not made for photo / movies, and are still bad at that compare to the other one, non gaming, more cheaper, made especially for basic usage (movies, web, photos, etc..).

Really, when i'm sure there is not BIG default on this monitor, like even with an ICC impossible to have good colors, or light uniformity really that bad, i think i will buy it. perfect for movies, photo and non fps gaming.

there's something i don't really understand on their description though, they say :

* Graphic Card Compatibility
- It uses Bypass type board. Compatibility issue with Graphic card and Mainboards may occur. Please check the compatibility before purchase.

And my GPU, 1060 6GB, is not listed...

Either you quoted the wrong person, or you really didn't read anything I said. Also, in order for me to argue that I am "right", someone has to tell me that I am wrong first, lol.

As for a TN that is better than an IPS in "any case", TN's are better in general at response time. This is no secret, nor is it anything anyone can argue against. As for a good TN, I mentioned the exact monitor in my post (the one you somehow didn't read). The panel in the S2417DG is the AUO M238DTN01.3 (Information on the panel here) and is by far one of the best TN's I have laid eyes on. I also have Samsung PLS panels and high end IPS panels to compare against, and aside from horrible contrast out of the box, it's able to hold up quite nicely despite being a TN. All that without the "IPS glow" or color uniformity issues that plague the M270DAN02.3 found in the 144hz/165hz IPS G-Sync panels (information on the panel here). If you need proof of the color uniformity issues those panels have, look no further than the many, MANY threads online: 

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/backlight-bleeding-acer-xb270hu.2431123/#post-37397019

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/363165/xb270hu-color-uniformity-is-this-normal

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87657-Color-issues-PG279q-dirty-yellow-screen&viewfull=1#post608232

http://www.overclock.net/t/1597567/asus-pg279q-vs-xb271hu-regarding-uniformity

http://www.overclock.net/t/1583466/asus-pg279q-returns-and-serial-numbers-database

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4nebh2/asus_pg279q_color_uniformity/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4fb9gy/are_asus_rog_pg279q_safe_to_buy_now/

Also, where in the world did I say it wouldn't last 6-12 months? Are you putting words in my mouth? Or making this up as you go? Seriously, you have to be quoting the wrong person here.

As for whether or not the panel is B-grade, you have to understand that these companies are not making panels. They are buying them in bulk from an actual manufacturer/supplier. Now, who makes fast 1440p AHVA panels in the IPS variety? AUO, Samsung and BOE. This means the panels they are sourcing, have to be one of three panels.  The BOE panel (HV320QHM-C81) cannot be the panel, because that panel is 31.5 inches, which means it's ruled out entirely. The Samsung LSM270DP01;  while it is 1440p, 27 inches, 144hz, and AHVA, it's a curved panel, meaning it cannot be the same panel used in these cheaper Korean monitors. This leaves only the AUO panel. The aforementioned AUO M270DAN02.3 (without the G-Sync module to cut down costs) is the easiest choice, mostly due to it's wide variety and how it's used by several brands in dozens of different monitors on the market. Which is more likely: A company is paying full price for these panels and selling them at a loss/ almost no profit margin? Or that they are sourcing panels that didn't quite make the cut (either for slight color accuracy/pixel clock EDID restrictions or inability to achieve overdrive refresh speeds)? Sure, it's a little far reaching of me to just assume they are using B-grade panels, it's not entirely a bad thing if they do. The Samsung PLS panel I use is B-grade, and I love it. From a price:performance standpoint, it makes sense to take a perfectly functioning panel that failed to meet a specific requirement and just scale it back some and resell it. It's a win-win for both sides. My only point was that I wished a more in-depth review of the panel was performed in the video so that we could get more information about the product. That, and that we can't really compare these panels to the $700 Nvidia panels due to the aforementioned lack of G-Sync modules, panel overdrive and potentially other unknown specifications (due to lack of an in-depth review). 

As for their description on Ebay, I wouldn't think much of it. They often copy-paste information from other sales on to their new ones. If you pay attention to the picture in that ad, they have a DVI port on the monitor despite the finished product not actually having a DVI port. The bypass board means their is no controller logic on the panel itself (similar to the X-Star DP2710 Korean PLS panels). This is actually a good thing, as it often allows for higher panel overclocking from what I've tested. Seeing as these are likely B-Grade M270DAN02.3's, you might even be able to hit 160-165hz on these after all, just check for frame skipping.

To end this post, I'll say this. Please don't randomly accuse me of things I never did, whilst adding words I didn't say to my post. It not only detracts from the points I try to make, it wastes both our time when I have to correct that misinformation.

EDIT: Added links I previously forgot to add. Also cleaned up the spoiler issues from the 2nd edit.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

35 minutes ago, MageTank said:

To end this post, I'll say this. Please don't randomly accuse me of things I never did, whilst adding words I didn't say to my post. It not only detracts from the points I try to make, it wastes both our time when I have to correct that misinformation. 

Never go in against a MageTank when credibility is on the line.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

By any chance, will you be making a review of the monitor? The unboxing video left me with a lot of unanswered questions about the monitor. Seeing that no one has made a video on it yet, along with you being the first to mention it, was a missed opportunity of a great video. Hope you do consider it as there is still a few days, at least, before they start shipping out the monitors.

5 hours ago, MageTank said:

Either you quoted the wrong person, or you really didn't read anything I said. Also, in order for me to argue that I am "right", someone has to tell me that I am wrong first, lol.

EDIT: Added links I previously forgot to add. Also cleaned up the spoiler issues from the 2nd edit.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i red a comment saying something about what will be the panel after 6-12 months, maybe it wasn't you, no offense dude.

the whole utility of theses forum posts is to make sure we have enough information before buying / recommending, and to tips each other about that with what we know. 

so thanks you for your very useful informations, i appreciate it!

about what you said, few points :

first don't expect the real cost price of a panel (parts + labour) being any close to half the retail price. Margins are in an other area, i mean you have tons of intermediate that take a part, and even the source usine sell at a price people are ok to buy, not at the price it worth. Depending on demand, competition, rarity of the raw materials they use.. (that can be cheap but difficult to have in huge quantity for example) etc etc

so for me price is not really something to see first, look xiaomi, some of their phone are exact same copy of some of iphone models, but with longer battery and 1/3 of the price (think iphone 5C).

anyway, about deception of linus not making an in depth review, linus is a youtube businessman that touch his part for making the video, it's obvious he even give the ebay link to buy it. so yeah for this price it can't be better than $700 asus one, and the compagny that sell it surely asked linus to just make people buy it, not making a real review that would, especially tech enthusiast that drink linus words like the truth, make them be not sure of this being a real good product..

anyway, linus is not so bad he give us the opportunity to talk about it here! and he host it! haha. 

i wonder what a B model can look like. i know a normal issue on ips panels is brightness uniformity, and yes i think color uniformity too, but not 100% sure about this last one.

// about me i would wonder if it worth it. would movie looks amazing on it? or just ok. 

about the compatibility thing, it's a bit weird, because they don't quote all the gtx gpus, it would worth to have the information about that.

about the ebay description being uncorect, i really doubt it. ebay description are uncorect for cheap crap or when it's obvious. i'm sure the description is correct. maybe linus received an other model, i don't know. 

about overdrive it do have an overdrive mode, is it working i don't know but it's on the description.

i think we should share this to a lot of product testers, at the end we will know what can be achieved with a $300 / cheap fast wqhd ips monitor

ps: for dp version i wouldn't worry that much, it's obviously a dp version that support 144hz@WQHD. but true for the freesync range it's a bit a deception. i really think adding g sync to a panel really increase the final cost a lot. that's just maybe what we are paying for on $700 asus one, this + all the taxes and intermediate we pay when don't buy directly to someone directly from the factory...

Just got this monitor in. How do you turn the menu to English?

1 hour ago, Dr Cthulhu said:

Just got this monitor in. How do you turn the menu to English?

OK. It took forever, but found it. Here is a screenshot in English for anyone else that might need the same help.

IMG_20180105_202548.jpg

On 12/31/2017 at 11:39 AM, Princess Cadence said:

You can it is called Fast Sync lol... for real though Fast Sync works better than FreeSync if it is 60hz... for 144hz though it becomes troublesome since it works differently (requires fps to be above refresh rate instead).

I'm pretty sure Fast Sync works that way no matter what the refresh rate of the monitor is. The point of Fast Sync is to stop tearing above the display's refresh rate, not to stop stuttering below the monitor's refresh rate. So for users like me (with a GTX 1080 and a 144Hz 1080p monitor), Fast Sync doesn't do a lot to help since I'm usually below my monitor's refresh rate.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So anyone else that bought it how is the Backlight bleed on it? Any dead/stuck pixels?

I just set up mine and I found 2 green pixels near the center and the bottom left has some slightly noticeable backlight bleed. It is nice otherwise though, much better than the TV I have been using for the past 7 years lol.

Looks to be priced at $399 now on ebay

and not available on Amazon, atm.

let me know if anyone is still finding it for $299?

24 minutes ago, STRyKR said:

Looks to be priced at $399 now on ebay

and not available on Amazon, atm.

let me know if anyone is still finding it for $299?

Dream-Seller usually lowers the price again when he has more stock. Though Linus' video may not be helping that this time.

1 hour ago, BakaWolf said:

So anyone else that bought it how is the Backlight bleed on it? Any dead/stuck pixels?

I just set up mine and I found 2 green pixels near the center and the bottom left has some slightly noticeable backlight bleed. It is nice otherwise though, much better than the TV I have been using for the past 7 years lol.

I buy several Qnix/Crossover monitors from Dream-Seller on Ebay every year. I have only ever had one with one dead pixel and that was off to the far right and isn't visible unless I actively hunt for it. The perfect pixel monitors, in my experience, were just that. I have also never had a problem with backlight bleed on any of these panels. Some have of course, but no more than with any other brand. Stuck pixels by the way can sometimes be fixed using an online utility, as can backlight bleed by tightening or loosening the bezel. There are instructions on what to do on the Crossover/Qnix owners club threads at places like overclock.net.