OnePlus 5/5T Can't Play HD Video Streams

budget phone, budget phone problems.

oneplus is great but they always seem to have little annoyances like this.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

To be honest, the only annoyance I've had with the3T is that it doesn't print money.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

To me its night an day.

I quite agree, it's pretty obvious when my phone goes 720 for w/e reason and I have to hit 1080.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

To me its night an day. I mean hell, most S8 users can tell the difference between 1440p and 1080 for power saving. 

From a normal viewing distance of let's say 30 cm?

3 hours ago, Matu20 said:

From a normal viewing distance of let's say 30 cm?

With average vision and a distance of 30 cm you will be able to see around 300 PPI.

The non-plus Galaxy S8 the 1080p mode gives you 425 PPI and the native resolution gives you 567 PPI.

There are two problems though...

1) Running at less than native resolution will always look worse because of the interpolation needed.

2) The Galaxy S8 uses a pentile subpixel matrix which means the red and blue resolutions are only ~2/3 of the green one.

So the PPI of red and blue is actually around 280 in 1080p mode, which is below the range for average vision.

In the 1440p mode that subpixel PPI for blue and red goes up to 403, which is quite a bit above the average human vision for 30 cm distance.

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

The only problem is, $500 is hardly a "budget" price. Even phones at half the price of the OP5T shouldn't have little niggles like this.

Never Settle for DRM-protected 1080p content 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

40 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

The only problem is, $500 is hardly a "budget" price. Even phones at half the price of the OP5T shouldn't have little niggles like this.

True. But if their whole goal is to have a flagship phone beater for half the price they are doing it... the best phones always seem to be $1k nowadays...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

With average vision and a distance of 30 cm you will be able to see around 300 PPI.

The non-plus Galaxy S8 the 1080p mode gives you 425 PPI and the native resolution gives you 567 PPI.

There are two problems though...

1) Running at less than native resolution will always look worse because of the interpolation needed.

2) The Galaxy S8 uses a pentile subpixel matrix which means the red and blue resolutions are only ~2/3 of the green one.

So the PPI of red and blue is actually around 280 in 1080p mode, which is below the range for average vision.

In the 1440p mode that subpixel PPI for blue and red goes up to 403, which is quite a bit above the average human vision for 30 cm distance.

Yeah, that was my point, while not pixel peeping, it's very hard to notice one res over another.

Personally I would find that a selling point (DRM must die), but I can see how others may consider it a problem. Just give us a setting to turn it off 1+, ok?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Personally I would find that a selling point (DRM must die), but I can see how others may consider it a problem. Just give us a setting to turn it off 1+, ok?

OnePlus replied to me on Twitter and said they're bringing Level 1 support soon.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

OnePlus replied to me on Twitter and said their bringing Level 1 support soon.

Custom rom time for me I guess. Not that I'll get that update, but eventually I'll need a new phone :P

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Custom rom time for me I guess. Not that I'll get that update, but eventually I'll need a new phone :P

Oh don't worry OnePlus hates pushing updates. They rushed the launch of the 5T in order to avoid having to provide Treble support for it.

Soon I'll install Lineage cos there will be no more major updates on OP3 and OP3T allegedly (despite being a 2016 flagship).

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

53 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh don't worry OnePlus hates pushing updates. They rushed the launch of the 5T in order to avoid having to provide Treble support for it.

Soon I'll install Lineage cos there will be no more major updates on OP3 and OP3T allegedly (despite being a 2016 flagship).

Yes, well, I have a oneplus X so I haven't had updates for a while now. At least they delivered marshmallow as promised and it's not very buggy. Still, given the price I can look the other way, but nowadays their phones cost almost as much as Samsung's or Huawei's. Meizu is the hot chinese brand nowadays according to my sources.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Be warned that Netflix doesn't support custom ROMs or root. Without a workaround (I think currently, one called Magisk), you won't be watching Netflix at all, nevermind the HD streams.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Be warned that Netflix doesn't support custom ROMs or root. Without a workaround (I think currently, one called Magisk), you won't be watching Netflix at all, nevermind the HD streams.

Wait what? Lmao xD. Netflix won't have my money then...