Some one make a dual socket motherboard

Iihron

Some one make a dual socket motherboard that can use intel and amd at the same time .. where one lags the other makes up for ..like the r7 and a i7 cpu .. just a Idea...Was told to move to this topic

1 minute ago, Iihron said:

Some one make a dual socket motherboard that can use intel and amd at the same time .. where one lags the other makes up for ..like the r7 and a i7 cpu .. just a Idea...Was told to move to this topic

pretty much impossible the different architectures wouldn't play well together not to mention the windows issues

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

That's like swapping out your legs to a horse's legs to run faster while keeping your ability to write, use a fork, whatever. Just possible in the world of imagination.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Can't a programme be made to make them communicate 

uuhhh yeaaahhh ....not gonna happen nope no way nada zilch gooseeggs 

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

3 minutes ago, Iihron said:

Can't a programme be made to make them communicate 

Not really, it could be possible to do so however the amount of effort wouldn't be worth the end result as even a working version of this concept would have issues that make it impractical. Besides what is the point of using a chip from each brand, bragging rights?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

not with competitors cpus no that would be like asking trump to have hillary as his vice president

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Not really, it could be possible to do so however the amount of effort wouldn't be worth the end result as even a working version of this concept would have issues that make it impractical. Besides what is the point of using a chip from each brand, bragging rights

I Understand lol 

You used to be able to install Intel or AMD (or other) processors on your motherboard.  Think Super Socket 7 days, Pentium MMX, AMD K6, K6-2, K6-3, Cyrix 6x86 and MII , IDT Winchip 2 , and a few others .,.. they all used to fit in Super Socket 7

There were multiple companies making chipsets for Super Socket 7 .. Via, ULI/ALi , Sis, Intel

Intel wanted to make more profits by making their own chipsets and their own sockets and slots so they started to refuse other companies licenses and documentation to make chipsets for new sockets or slots so that also forced AMD to make their own sockets and for a time AMD allowed companies like nVidia and SiS and Via to continue to make chipsets.  (of course their argument was they wanted their platforms to be more stable and reliable but at some points via chipsets were actually more stable and better performance than Intel's own chipsets)

These days, AMD makes their own chipsets as well or they contract companies to make chipsets for them - for example the socket AM4 chipsets are made by AsMedia for AMD.

So you can't interchange processors these days because of different ways chipsets communicate to the processor and the different sockets. AMD has/had HyperTransport and now Infinity Fabric and chipsets talk to the cpu through a plain pci-e x4 link, while Intel has multiple versions of DMI (something similar to pci-e x2 or x4 when it comes to raw speed) to make connection between processor and chipset.

Other than chipset and socket combo, the rest on a motherboard is pretty standardized.. ddr4 slots, pci-e slots, usb 3 headers , fan headers etc

I would of love to try it tho just to see how it turns out 

Long story short, it may have been possible in the late 90's with Super Socket 7-which had Intel, AMD, Centaur, Rise and Cyrix on it-though I don't think there were any dual CPU chipsets. And even then the architectural differences between all CPU would have made such a board a nightmare to design let alone get functioning.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

There were some motherboards that had hacks which allowed two processors to work at same time, processors that weren't designed on purpose for that.

There were some boards which made it possible to use two AMD Athlon processors (plain athlon, not MP versions) in dual cpu mode  and I remember there was a company probably Abit that hacked an Intel chipset to allow two Intel Celerons to work at same time as a 2 cpu system (Celerons were much cheaper compared to server processors)

But it wasn't possible to have processors from two different companies at same time... and it would be incredibly complex.

These days the hardware is so cheap that you could actually have two motherboards for less than what a motherboard used to cost. You can buy a no-frills A320 chipset based motherboard (socket AM4) for less than 50$ (sometimes less than 30$ after mail-in rebates) and Intel equivalent boards are also often less than 50$.

Motherboards used to cost more, in the 100$ range in today's money for some budget boards.

A feasible but somewhat useless "dual socket" motherboard could be a massive Stx or eatx mobo with 2 sockets, 2 sets of dimms, 2 chipsets, 2 sets of pice lanes etc. Etc.  It would be two boards melded on to one absurdly large pcb essentially.

It would cost more than most CPUs and IMO would not be worth it.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious