Older AMD CPUS over new ones?

After discovering how cheap DDR3 RAM is compared to DDR4, I'm planning on buying an AMD FX-8370 over a Ryzen 3 1300X. The 8370 FX has a higher clock speed, more memory and more cores for $30 more. You can get a better motherboard for cheaper, more RAM for cheaper.. Any draw backs? Instead of a 4 core CPU, 8 gigs of ram, a micro ATX board and a 1050 mini card for $500ish with the PSU and case I can get an 8core 4.3GHz CPU, 16Gigs of RAM and a full sized ATX board for almost the same price with the same GPU, PSU and a $20 more case. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

5 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

I'm planning on buying an AMD FX-8370 over a Ryzen 3 1300X.

That's a worse decision that picking up a hitchhiker holding a blood-covered hatchet.  The FX CPU's are garbage.

Get an R3 1200.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's a worse decision that picking up a hitchhiker holding a blood-covered hatchet.  The FX CPU's are garbage.

Get an R3 1200.

What exactly makes them worse? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Nooooooo get the R3 the FX CPUs have horrible efficiency and IPC. 

The 1300x thrashes an 8370 at any frequency, the ryzen cores have 52% better IPC than FX

That means that a 1300x at 4ghz = 6ghz  worth of FX horsepower while taking less power and getting you an upgrade path.  Why not spend the same $30 extra for a 1400?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, BadluckBrian said:

What exactly makes them worse? 

Everything.   They're awful.  Take a look at some benchmarks.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

For sole gaming, avoid FX CPUs.  As others already mention, a Ryzen will out perform a FX CPU.

Otherwise, they pretty decent cheap chips for BOINC crunching and daily tasks.  But for gaming, nope.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I would rather pick n used 3770K system with proper motherboard and overclock the shit out of it and get better performance than both of these AMD CPUs would

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I would rather pick n used 3770K system with proper motherboard and overclock the shit out of it and get better performance than both of these AMD CPUs would

An overclocked 1300X should do better than an overclocked 3770k.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

An overclocked 1300X should do better than an overclocked 3770k.

Hell no

While the example I'm about to present isn't an R3 or FX 8350, it should paint a fairly close picture.

My desktop has an FX 6300 OCed to 3.9GHz, 16GB of ram, and an RX 480 @ 1350MHz.

My laptop has an i5-7300HQ (4 cores, no HT/SMT), 8GB of ram (Single DIMM), and a GTX 1050 (Non-ti).

In games like the Witcher 3, my laptop has smoother (Better minimums and significantly less stuttering) FPS. The laptop also feels more responsive beyond games (Both have decent enough SSDs, so that isn't a factor.)

An OCed R3 should at least be 15-25% faster than the i5 7300HQ. The FX 8350 might be ~33% in multi-threading at same clocks as the 6300, and the OC to 4.3 should make it ~10% in single threaded performance over my 6300.

Please, brah.....

Y u gon drink poison,pls don't, cuz i'm sure we have members who'll follow ur path to drink that as well.

On the FX stuff, I am still using a Phenom 2 x6 1090T, overclocked to 3.9ghz. Its the same as fx ones, just  run a lil bit faster.

Everytime I start up my PC and play anything new, i rarely see 60fps despite using a gtx 1060 on a 720p screen. Cpu or I should say lag-pu, lags everytime wherever there's even just minimal cpu usage.

I play csgo mostly, but am stuck with 120-150fps where I should be getting 300fps+ with my gpu/resolution combo.

And dont even get me started on PU-fuckin-BG, shit goes from 90-100fps to 20fps almost instantly when i see anyone on screen.

Do me a favor brother, dont drink the poison. Save ur life. The world is a better place with u in it(and with FX going extinct)

I can't say much more then what others here have said but i owned the 8350 and i could only OC mine to 4.4ghz and i had it paired with 1866mhz dual channel memory i even had the CPU/NB OC to 2600 and performance was just bad for gaming for everything else it was ok but for gaming it was pretty terrible a game really had to use all 8 integer cores for it to perform OK. I mean it literary couldn't keep my 770 at 90+ usage in a LOT of titles. Got an I3 4360 to tie me over until i could get my 4790K let me tell you that 4360 beat the crap out of my older 8350 OC in every single game i could find, i almost never got the 4790K and now i'm on Ryzen. 

Get Ryzen 3 keep it until you can get a higher end Ryzen chip or find a way to get a 1600 which is what i would do, but i'm saying it as a past owner don't get the fx series at times it was slower then even the Phenom II x6 that i had OC to 3.9ghz like in dolphin emulator.  

2 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

Hell no

Despite the fact a 3770K in on a dead socket just like AM3+ so i wouldn't recommend either you are correct a 3770K once OC will beat a Ryzen 3 based CPU steve from hardware unboxed or techspot did a 2500K vs Ryzen 3 battle with both OC to their max average overclocks that we can expect and the 2500K won a little a 3700K would win a lot more. 

I recommend the user simply sells what he has on craigslist or something and use that extra cash to get a Ryzen 1600 at the very least once Intel comes out with mainstream boards for coffeelake and when prices come to their MSRB i'll recommend the 8400 but not until then. 

15 hours ago, jdwii said:

Despite the fact a 3770K in on a dead socket just like AM3+ so i wouldn't recommend either you are correct a 3770K once OC will beat a Ryzen 3 based CPU steve from hardware unboxed or techspot did a 2500K vs Ryzen 3 battle with both OC to their max average overclocks that we can expect and the 2500K won a little a 3700K would win a lot more. 

I recommend the user simply sells what he has on craigslist or something and use that extra cash to get a Ryzen 1600 at the very least once Intel comes out with mainstream boards for coffeelake and when prices come to their MSRB i'll recommend the 8400 but not until then. 

It's called MSRP not MSRB

User clearly want's DDR3 based system haven't you understood that?

21 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

It's called MSRP not MSRB

User clearly want's DDR3 based system haven't you understood that?

Oh cute i messed up and said MSRB instead of MSRP anyways the advise stays i couldn't care less if the user wanted RDRAM. 

Simple matter is the 3770K and the FX series is based on a dead platform with NO upgrades. 

Bad idea to get either. 

3 hours ago, jdwii said:

Oh cute i messed up and said MSRB instead of MSRP anyways the advise stays i couldn't care less if the user wanted RDRAM. 

Simple matter is the 3770K and the FX series is based on a dead platform with NO upgrades. 

Bad idea to get either. 

You don't understand that some people can't afford DDR4 RAM?

21 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

You don't understand that some people can't afford DDR4 RAM?

Let me see if the savings are worth it to buy into a dead platform with no upgradability 

Cheapest 16GB DDR3 kit from newegg cost $99.99

Cheapest 16GB DDR4 kit from newegg cost $142.99

45-50$ more for a platform that isn't dead that can still be upgraded in 2020 yeah i think even waiting or selling old parts to get the extra money is well worth it. 

If however he is looking for a quick cheap temporary fix then i'd recommend getting a older 120$ i5 2400 build that comes with 8GB of memory included. 

6 hours ago, jdwii said:

Let me see if the savings are worth it to buy into a dead platform with no upgradability 

Cheapest 16GB DDR3 kit from newegg cost $99.99

Cheapest 16GB DDR4 kit from newegg cost $142.99

45-50$ more for a platform that isn't dead that can still be upgraded in 2020 yeah i think even waiting or selling old parts to get the extra money is well worth it. 

If however he is looking for a quick cheap temporary fix then i'd recommend getting a older 120$ i5 2400 build that comes with 8GB of memory included. 

Who would buy DDR3 memory brand new?

On 12/3/2017 at 12:58 AM, jdwii said:

Bad idea to get either. 

Upgrades are overrated. Just build a 3770 machine with DDR3, and then build a new machine three years from now when there are more funds. Any one building an i5 machine with intentions of buying a second or third CPU within the next two years is a fool because it's a false economy.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430