Louqe Ghost S1 cooling blunder

dizmo

Which one?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which cooling option would you go for?

• AIO
    • 2 slim 120mm fans
    • 4 slim 120mm fans
    • 2 regular 120mm fans
    • Other

So after looking at many, many ITX cases, I think the one that will be my next build is the Louqe Ghost S1.

It's a very adaptable case, which is great, but I'd like to keep it as small as possible.

I have very little experience with fans, placement, etc. So I'm hoping to pick the minds of the ones in the know :P

The case will be on a desk, and will likely have a blower style card, though not guaranteed as it looks like a non blower card would still get lots of airflow.

Quick case breakdown:

Super small at 140mm wide, 188mm tall, 322mm long. It has swappable top hats, which can increase your customization options. The case is all made of aluminium.

Top Hats

Small - 16mm - slim fans, SSDs

Medium - 26mm - fans, SSDs

Large - 57mm - AIOs, 3.5" drives, etc

y7.png

y6.png

The build:

• GTX 1080/Ti
    I'll likely go with the 1080, as I'll only be running a 1440p monitor (for now)
  • Intel i5 8400/8600k/8700
    8400 - Doesn't get quite as high as the others, but it's within a few frames of the 8700
    8600k - Best performance, but also highest heat. This is the CPU I'd like to use
    8700 - Threw this in there as an option, but honestly I don't think the gains are worth it over the 8400
  • Supporting hardware

Cooling:

• Scythe Big Shuriken 2
    I was looking at thermals of another case I was pretty set on, the Firewolfy MI6, and it was a few degrees cooler than the Noctua offering, so I assume it'll be just as cool in this set up.
  • Celsius S24/Kraken X52
    These are the two water coolers that are recommended for the case.

Option 1

57mm top hat, on top with a 240mm AIO.

This would obviously be the best for cooling, however it'd also be the most expensive, and also increase the size of the case the most.

Option 2

Big Shuriken 2, and a small top hat located on the bottom of the case, pushing air out the top via 2 120mm fans.

This is the one I'd want to use the most, but I don't know how feasible it is. Obviously temps would be higher, but I wonder how high.

Option 3

Big Shuriken 2, small top hat on the top, small top hat on the bottom, 4 120mm fans.

Option 4

Big Shuriken 2, medium top hat on top, 2 larger 120mm fans.

Option 5

Your suggestion.

I know the easiest solution is to just get a bigger case...but...I'd rather have something tiny. I've had lots of bigger cases and it's time for a change.

What do you guys think? Can I get away with option 2 or 3?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

One think ill say about the Celsius AIOs, they have the most durable hose connection to the block, every single AIO i've seen leak before has leaked out the side where the hoses come out of the block. The hoses are quite thick though so its going to be a tight fit.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

One think ill say about the Celsius AIOs, they have the most durable hose connection to the block, every single AIO i've seen leak before has leaked out the side where the hoses come out of the block. The hoses are quite thick though so its going to be a tight fit.

Ah that's good to know. It's actually one of the recommended coolers, so it's been tested and fits. It was selected because of its flexible tubing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What does the rest of the case look like for cooling? I would probably use as many fan spots as I could for intake and just blast it with volumes of air.

Just now, dizmo said:

Ah that's good to know. It's actually one of the recommended coolers, so it's been tested and fits. It was selected because of its flexible tubing.

Its flexible but not for the first 2cm at either end, its quite stiff.

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

What does the rest of the case look like for cooling? I would probably use as many fan spots as I could for intake and just blast it with volumes of air.

I think there's a fan mounting point on the bottom of the case, and that's it. Pretty bare.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I'd go for the bottom fans and the air cooler, the S24 is however not bad but it might be a bit clunky to install and increases the total volume quite a lot 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

40 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I think there's a fan mounting point on the bottom of the case, and that's it. Pretty bare.

Yeah I'm watching Jay's video on the case and I can see how there's not much to it. I would imagine two really good static pressure fans should be able to take care of the cooling for the case? We've already seen SFF computers work well enough with one or two SP fans.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeah I'm watching Jay's video on the case and I can see how there's not much to it. I would imagine two really good static pressure fans should be able to take care of the cooling for the case? We've already seen SFF computers work well enough with one or two SP fans.

Haha yeah. Were those cases using an overclocked CPU though? With a smaller air cooler?

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd go for the bottom fans and the air cooler, the S24 is however not bad but it might be a bit clunky to install and increases the total volume quite a lot 

Yeah, the AIO definitely isn't my first choice...but do you think that set up could handle the 8600k with an overclock?

Almost tempted to delid.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha yeah. Were those cases using an overclocked CPU though? With a smaller air cooler?

Yeah, the AIO definitely isn't my first choice...but do you think that set up could handle the 8600k with an overclock?

Almost tempted to delid.

You probably can, it's a pretty beefy cooler tbh. I wouldn't expect amazing results if you get a voltage hungry chip though but if you get a good chip you can probably overclock no problem 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Almost tempted to delid.

its SFF, id delid either way, you actually get results unless you do it like linus does lmao.

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You probably can, it's a pretty beefy cooler tbh. I wouldn't expect amazing results if you get a voltage hungry chip though but if you get a good chip you can probably overclock no problem 

Hmm very true. Now I just have to decide if that's worth the added cost :P The 8400 might be all I really need, and I think I could get away without an additional case fan at all.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

its SFF, id delid either way, you actually get results unless you do it like linus does lmao.

True. They do guarantee it  too, which is nice. I'd probably get them to bin it as well just so I don't have to do any tinkering on my own when it comes to setting up the OC :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm sure there have been a few OC'd builds with an i5 or i7 that ran a SFF cooler. It's not going to be clocked very high or run very cool but I would never have expected it to.

22 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm sure there have been a few OC'd builds with an i5 or i7 that ran a SFF cooler. It's not going to be clocked very high or run very cool but I would never have expected it to.

I could OC my I5 4690K if the Toaster had any airflow, that has C7 lol

Builds:

Spoiler