I want a Quest 3 without the VR...

The clickbait title is technically correct. In short, I have tried every sort of remote play for PC and they have all had too much latency except one... The Meta Quest 3. It's the only thing I've found with low enough latency to be playable with a keyboard and mouse.

That leaves me in the awkward position of wanting a Quest 3 without VR that I can plug into my TV. Surely there is something else that is as good as a quest 3 for remote play right? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to use a VR headset everytime I want to use my PC remotely.

18 minutes ago, BobNobody said:

The clickbait title is technically correct. In short, I have tried every sort of remote play for PC and they have all had too much latency except one... The Meta Quest 3. It's the only thing I've found with low enough latency to be playable with a keyboard and mouse.

That leaves me in the awkward position of wanting a Quest 3 without VR that I can plug into my TV. Surely there is something else that is as good as a quest 3 for remote play right? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to use a VR headset everytime I want to use my PC remotely.

laptop

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

PS Vita. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Perhaps list what you have tried so far?

I can throw stuff out there but since you have tried "every sort" I assume you have already tried them.

Steam Remote Play / Steam Link, Nvidia GameStream, Sunshine+Moonlight, Parsec all work on a PC or laptop.

I personally agree with you that FPS with keyboard+mouse will always feel bad in remote play with the possible exception of strong wired LAN.

4 hours ago, BobNobody said:

An HDMI cable and a bluetooth controller?

23 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

laptop

Tried that, too slow.

23 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

PS Vita. 

Just no.

22 hours ago, thevictor390 said:

Steam Remote Play / Steam Link, Nvidia GameStream, Sunshine+Moonlight, Parsec all work on a PC or laptop.

I've tried all of those and they all lagged more than the Quest 3.

It just seems absurd to me that the Quest 3 solved remote video (because they had to in order to make airplay work) and nothing else is as good, you literally cannot buy something similar as far as I can tell.

10 minutes ago, BobNobody said:

Tried that, too slow.

slower then the quest 3... huh. sure... right.

4 hours ago, BobNobody said:

Tried that, too slow.

Just no.

It just seems absurd to me that the Quest 3 solved remote video (because they had to in order to make airplay work) and nothing else is as good, you literally cannot buy something similar as far as I can tell.

I dunno mate.

I have tested moonlight and gamestream for gaming and movies.

Also have tested quest3 and it has higher latency than 7th gen i5 laptop. Did a comparision with snapdragon 835 and snapdragon had 2x latency compared to intel. Almost all of that latency came from slow video decode, for example 70Mbps video stream, intel 3-5ms, snapdragon 7-12ms

On 5/15/2024 at 9:41 AM, BobNobody said:

Tried that, too slow.

Just no.

Can you explain more what your setup has been with a pc/laptop in the past? I've had extremely low-latency performance on computers before - even over the internet using Parsec to remotely play games away from home and all playable. I also have a quest 3 and found that the quality was a lot lower on the actual game (brightness especially) so maybe try lowering the output resolution on the device you are streaming to (PC)

Both nvidia and Steam solved this both on the hardware and software side. Hardware side never worked out for both of them. I believe you can still buy the nvidia tv shield pro but the steam link is long gone and the hardware was never great to start with. I also don't think official software support for the nvidia tv shield is still there for what you want.

But simply using remote play on steam should achieve pretty damn low latency. Unless you're playing competitive games I don't see how the latency would be big enough to actually matter. If the quest 3 latency is fine then steam remote play latency will also be fine. The TV's display latency is much worse than the network and processing latency...

Most likely you're taking the low display latency from the quest 3 and thinking it's to do with some networking or processing but it's really got nothing to do with that. While oculus likely has lower latency for processing and networking it won't be easily perceivable, we're talking microseconds at this point not milliseconds.

If you want it to work well use steam remote play on a laptop with a decent monitor. Or a desktop connected to a decent display.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:41 PM, BobNobody said:

Tried that, too slow.

my 2015 macbook pro handles steam link perfectly, hardly breaks a sweat. granted its the top spec one, but its still a 9 year old machine. i think theres a problem on your end

for the once a year i remember i have it, my old steam link box still works fine as well

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 14TB combined HDD | macOS 14 Ventura, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 16.5 with Dopamine 2 + Trollstore 2

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang