Concern with LMG Sponsors

In the last month, both ASUS and EK have had company destroying accusations come out against them.  Youtubers have been very public about ending relationships with both vendors and JaysTwoCents has ripped EK out of his builds. Why is LMG silent? Not a word on WAN show or in some other public way. This is huge news. I am glad to see LMG not use either company for a sponsor spot in the last month but I am curious what Linus thinks about the whole thing and would love to know if he will support EK possibly ASUS in the future of LMG. 

Any Ideas anyone.  

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

I gotta say, the ASUS accusations are nowhere near "company destroying". They will promisse to do better, say they implemented new policy and then everyone will forget and keep buying ASUS.

EK are screwed tho lmao

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Linus had a video a week or two ago with a bunch of EK stuff but with a disclaimer saying this was recorded before the ek controversy.

Havent seen any EK stuff since tbh. Not sure about wan show.

Why is it so important to you that every YouTuber has an opinion? You can also just make up your own mind.

Even IF LTT would start a boycott of Asus, which they probably won't, this is hardly more than a speed bump for Asus. Sure, some enthusiasts will probably boycott them in the short or long term, but most customers probably haven't heard about it yet and never will.

My guess would be that LTT will put Asus on a sponsorship blacklist, but nothing more. Not taking their sponsorship doesn't mean their parts won't still show up in builds from time to time, simply because a lot of Asus products are already in their hands. I don't see them throwing away dozens or hundreds of perfectly good electronics just to appease the pitchfork and torch crowd.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, ChaseB said:

In the last month, both ASUS and EK have had company destroying accusations come out against them.  Youtubers have been very public about ending relationships with both vendors and JaysTwoCents has ripped EK out of his builds. Why is LMG silent? Not a word on WAN show or in some other public way. This is huge news. I am glad to see LMG not use either company for a sponsor spot in the last month but I am curious what Linus thinks about the whole thing and would love to know if he will support EK possibly ASUS in the future of LMG. 

Any Ideas anyone.  

TBH the ROG Ally debacle is likely just Asus' service center policy trying to save some time/money by coercing customers into getting a refurb instead of actually fixing their device.

The whole thing with GN and Asus trying to get them to replace the screen because of a dent from opening the device is likely them just trying to EZ swap their Ally with an already fixed refurb to shorten repair turnaround metrics. Not saying that its justified or good customer service at all, but a lot less shifty when you consider why a company might do that. It's doubtful they're simply trying to make extra $ off a repair.

Regarding EKWB, that's a whole other minefield and significantly more important. That's more of an indication of a company imploding than anything close to a service center scandal with Asus.

Why LMG is silent? Probably to avoid picking a side or getting involved. LMG is a lot more complex of an organization compared to Jay's. There's also some skeletons that Jay was probably happy to reveal about how much they've screwed him with simply paying him for his work.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

33 minutes ago, ChaseB said:

Why is LMG silent?

Why does it matter? Their "product" (the type of videos they make) is different than that of GN. 

2 hours ago, ChaseB said:

Why is LMG silent? Not a word on WAN show or in some other public way.

Confidently incorrect.

@ChaseB, this could fit Sponsor Discussion. However, neither is current LMG sponsor, so any comment would be about industry in general. For Asus discussion, here's one about follow-up and using Asus products in showcase videos. Here's the discussion on GN video. For EK situation, here's discussion about it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Agall said:

TBH the ROG Ally debacle is likely just Asus' service center policy trying to save some time/money by coercing customers into getting a refurb instead of actually fixing their device.

Its not just the ROG ally, its everything people have been RMAing to Asus the last year and a half.  Its policy for the last year and a half to violate consumer protection laws. 

3 hours ago, Agall said:

The whole thing with GN and Asus trying to get them to replace the screen because of a dent from opening the device is likely them just trying to EZ swap their Ally with an already fixed refurb to shorten repair turnaround metrics. Not saying that its justified or good customer service at all, but a lot less shifty when you consider why a company might do that. It's doubtful they're simply trying to make extra $ off a repair.

So on asus's side they should just swap in under warranty still, not charging 200. 

3 hours ago, Agall said:

Why LMG is silent? Probably to avoid picking a side or getting involved. LMG is a lot more complex of an organization compared to Jay's. There's also some skeletons that Jay was probably happy to reveal about how much they've screwed him with simply paying him for his work.

They have not been silent, LMG dropped Asus months before the video came out for similar reasons

3 minutes ago, starsmine said:

They have not been silent

So OP is just incorrect... I don't watch WAN shows very often if ever, so whether or not LMG has talked about it outside of their official page is off my radar.

*shrugs* 

image.thumb.png.4f656bcfbb37ff89c8993f43b9b7e3a3.png

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Why is it so important to you that every YouTuber has an opinion? You can also just make up your own mind.

Even IF LTT would start a boycott of Asus, which they probably won't, this is hardly more than a speed bump for Asus. Sure, some enthusiasts will probably boycott them in the short or long term, but most customers probably haven't heard about it yet and never will.

My guess would be that LTT will put Asus on a sponsorship blacklist, but nothing more. Not taking their sponsorship doesn't mean their parts won't still show up in builds from time to time, simply because a lot of Asus products are already in their hands. I don't see them throwing away dozens or hundreds of perfectly good electronics just to appease the pitchfork and torch crowd.

I found it crazy when Linus dropped Anker because of Eufy. I respect the approach and I support LMG because of it. He wont even sponsor the parent company if the side company mess up. I just see bias by not addressing EK. He is good friends with JTC and I was shocked he did not come to his friends defense here. 

4 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Why does it matter? Their "product" (the type of videos they make) is different than that of GN. 

2 hours ago, LMGcommunity said:

Confidently incorrect.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

@ChaseB, this could fit Sponsor Discussion. However, neither is current LMG sponsor, so any comment would be about industry in general. For Asus discussion, here's one about follow-up and using Asus products in showcase videos. Here's the discussion on GN video. For EK situation, here's discussion about it.

1 hour ago, LMGcommunity said:

We discussed EK here and here.

We discussed ASUS here and here.

I am looking for a response to EK like Linus did with Anker. Telling the community that they are dropped and we will not be using there products period.  Even with LTT controversy last year, Linus has always stood up for us little people. He is a beacon in this industry for change and fairness. Why is he taking EK to the side here. 

I just dont like youtubers who knowingly use bad sponsors or recommend we purchase from sponsors of the Youtuber that we the community know are bad like EK. His stance should be clear and easy to find. Thank you for finding the WAN clip I have been looking for. Why is there not an LMG Clip of this? 

For all those I tagged. Why not take the Anker approach on EK? Period!!!!!!!!!

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

17 minutes ago, ChaseB said:

I found it crazy when Linus dropped Anker because of Eufy. I respect the approach and I support LMG because of it. He wont even sponsor the parent company if the side company mess up. I just see bias by not addressing EK. He is good friends with JTC and I was shocked he did not come to his friends defense here. 

I am looking for a response to EK like Linus did with Anker. Telling the community that they are dropped and we will not be using there products period.  Even with LTT controversy last year, Linus has always stood up for us little people. He is a beacon in this industry for change and fairness. Why is he taking EK to the side here. 

I just dont like youtubers who knowingly use bad sponsors or recommend we purchase from sponsors of the Youtuber that we the community know are bad like EK. His stance should be clear and easy to find. Thank you for finding the WAN clip I have been looking for. Why is there not an LMG Clip of this? 

For all those I tagged. Why not take the Anker approach on EK? Period!!!!!!!!!

EK has not scammed customers, EK "side" was also taken by GN on the first video they put out, look at the time stamps of when those videos game out. 

Also sides is such a weird way to view these things. These are not things to take sides on. They are like, hey here is how you improve, I hope you improve. Being antagonistic does not get you results.

2 minutes ago, ChaseB said:

Why not take the Anker approach on EK? Period!!!!!!!!!

Anker was a sponsor of the channel paying for LMG to insert advertisements in to their videos to advertise their products. EK isn't a sponsor paying for advertisements (at least not recently as far as I'm aware, I'm not sure if they have been in the past). LMG has used EK's hardware on occasion (sometimes that hardware is provided for free by EK). Put simply: LMG can't drop EK as a sponsor if they're not a sponsor.

The EK stuff was discussed on WAN show and in a video that LTT posted a day or two after the news broke (but filmed prior) which featured some EK products where they inserted a message about the situation with EK. Both clips LMGCommunity linked to above.

As for Asus, LMG already cancelled their sponsorship deal with Asus back in January due to a series of complaints from customers about poor warranty experiences and failure to see any signs of improvement from Asus. Aside from the forum posts LMGCommunity linked to announcing the end of their sponsorship deal with Asus, LMG has discussed the more recent Asus warranty complaints on this weeks TechLinked - Their tech news focused channel. (Timestamp 4:14).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

44 minutes ago, ChaseB said:

I glanced article about EK thing. To me it doesn't look like something that warrants full on forever drop. Just another company having bad management. Not unlike what LMG themselves faced last year. Nothing about screwing the "little people" like what you can think with Asus. Or have some major HR issues like sexual harassment allegations, misogyny etc. Or having major hacking with leaked customer data that they would have hidden for months.

So warning customers in general, sure. Not working until they get their shit together, sure. But you are asking essentially canceling a company for pretty common things. Not fun or nice things. But also not something I would cancel someone on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, starsmine said:

EK has not scammed customers, EK side was also taken by GN on the first video they put out, look at the time stamps of when those videos game out. 

Also sides is such a weird way to view these things. These are not things to take sides on. They are like, hey here is how you improve, I hope you improve. 

I have over a hundred employees myself and if I treated my customers, my vendors, or creators this way, I would expect my company to die.  

Chase B

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I gotta say, the ASUS accusations are nowhere near "company destroying". They will promisse to do better, say they implemented new policy 

That's what every company says when they fuck up and I doubt very little actually put what they say into action.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

10 hours ago, ChaseB said:

He is good friends with JTC and I was shocked he did not come to his friends defense here. 

Didn't know that Jay needed defending? 

As for the rest - what of value would LMG be adding to the reporting? GN has already brought the information to the public and in a rather... well, public... manner. 

Other outlets have supplied with their own stories, and LMG have touched on both topics in both reporting and acted by retracting sponsorshipdeals.

So what do you actually want? Some rant so you can eat popcorn? There is no relevance to such content other than entertainment and creating outrage. 

There is also a bit of cach-22 in this as if LMG did a big ranty video they would just risk coming under fire for jumping on the bandwagon for easy clicks while GN did all the work. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

10 hours ago, ChaseB said:

I am looking for a response to EK like Linus did with Anker.

Why? You seem weirdly intent on this. Yeah, EK and Asus fucked up with their behavior. What do you get out of LMG publicly dropping them as sponsors, even in a symbolic manner if they haven't been sponsors recently? Do they also have to call out BP or Shell every time one of their oil rigs pollutes the ocean and mention that they'll never accept sponsorship from them? Because if you're gonna do it once, you'll have to do it each time, in every case, just to assuage people like you, who can't function without daddy Linus telling you how to feel about something, apparently.

The correct response is to stop using or mentioning their products in their videos, not to produce public statements about the issue unless they have anything valid to add. Otherwise, it's just drama content for the sake of drama. And if that's what you want, then just come out and say it. I'd criticize LMG over continuing to use these products once the run of already filmed videos featuring them before these situations were publicized have been released. That'd at least be a valid reason to be upset over. Because using their products in a non-sponsored context still counts as advertising through word of mouth.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█