[UPDATED V2] Several countries respond to Loot Box outrage in SWBF2

ItsMitch

http://www.pcgamer.com/australian-gambling-analyst-says-loot-boxes-constitute-gambling-by-legal-definition/

Australian gambling analyst says loot boxes 'constitute gambling' by legal definition

totally agree with the guy above, Americans wants less state regulating everything, and then spend all of their time getting screwed over by big businesses and complaining. 

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well what about games like Paladins then? that game is almsot entirely based of the lootboxes, seeing as they are a major income for new cards, essence and skins. you can earn them from just playing but you can also play. takeing away lootboxes would more or less destroy the game. if this is just an age restriction this will have no impact what so ever though

The skins you can get trough lootboxes they can easly put in their micro transaction store

And the currency to get the  cards are piss easy to get while playing the game

Keep in mind paladins is f2p and you can play the game without spending ANY money on it and have the full experience

I had 135 hours without spending any money on it and recently decided to buy the founders pack - vip pack and a mount to support the devs 

And yes i got in those packs about 65 chests ... wich game me pretty much nothing (some stock skins you can buy with ingame currency and a voice pack or 2) 

Paladins can easly survice without loot boxes 

Let's agree to disagree

3 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

to support the devs 

they dont deserve a fucking penny of your money with how buggy this pice of shit is and how reluctant they are to do anything but add skinns and champs(yes i know why, its ftp and they need to add content to make the game interesting). there are still bugs, some major ones like never getting a horse, that have been here for well over a year now and they havent even touched. the only reason i still play is that its the most fun game i have found so far when its not totaly broken

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

The skins you can get trough lootboxes they can easly put in their micro transaction store

with the recent change that you can get crystals from quests this could work, but earnng crystals that add up to a skin is still a lot more then the chests they come in.

4 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

And the currency to get the  cards are piss easy to get while playing the game

you barely get any from playing, like almost none. the radiant chests from the recent log in bug(where you got 35 chests instead of 1) have totaled me more essence then playing the game has added upp too in total im pretty sure.

7 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

Keep in mind paladins is f2p and you can play the game without spending ANY money on it and have the full experience

yah i am extremely aware seeing as i have over 900h clocked and havent spent a penny xD 

7 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

(some stock skins you can buy with ingame currency and a voice pack or 2) 

those skinns all cost crystals, every skin costs premium currency now, which you can get from playing to a greater extent then ever, but its still a lot more expensive then getting a random one from a chest

8 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

Paladins can easly survice without loot boxes 

it could, but some pretty major changes would have to be made to the rewards system, skin system and essence and gold balance. in the end im SURE they would end up with even more of a grind, to make people buy the founders pack or crystals to an even greater extent. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

GBZYXVO.png

how does one not talk about politics when subject involves governments? ._. (serious question)

I seen Net Neutrality  getting spoken about at 3am in the morning and i was v confused wtf its getting mentioned when the OP doesn't state it at all, good sir. 

I dont really want this kind of thread being locked because of minor political discussion, that's all. 

Edited by SC2Mitch

On 11/21/2017 at 8:06 PM, aisle9 said:

Oh good, loot boxes are going to be banned now. Since we no longer have a way to let the stupid few subsidize the game for the rest of us, I hope everyone enjoys paying $80 for the non-DLC base copy of games going forwards.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:22 PM, Bensemus said:

That’s what tons of people wanted. They don’t want games cantered around loot boxes. They want to pay once for a complete game. 

I would rather do this but as it is even with dlc in modern games they offer less content then in the past and so I would argue most games are really only worth about 30-40 bucks. In the case of battlefront I wouldn't even pay 20 bucks for it.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

After some more scouting around for more news relating to this, France has jumped into the mix a few days ago which went well under the radar with it's French Senator Jérôme Durain with the following tweet. 

It's coming to the USA!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/news/hawaii-crack-predatory-loot-boxes-video-games/

https://kotaku.com/hawaii-wants-to-fight-the-predatory-behavior-of-loot-1820664617

Video gets good at 1:20 where it addresses the whole phone to pc thing

I should point out i wont ever buy a game with a price tag of $80 that requires further purchases in such a way like look boxes to progress my gaming abilities. $5 ok but not 80, and i really think thats what is pissing everyone off.

Edit:

@SC2Mitch 

You mentioned it :P

Just now, AresKrieger said:

source.gif

It has started

Is that 1/5 piece turning into a 0/3 piece? What kind of sleight of hand bulls#it is that!?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Is that 1/5 piece turning into a 0/3 piece? What kind of sleight of hand bulls#it is that!?

Theres also a 4/4 turning into a 3/4, also a 5/6 turning into 3/6, also a the 3/4 turns into a 3/3, also the 3/6 turns into a 2/6, and finally the 0/3 turns into a 2 or 3/?

xD

You bent my mind over and just fucked it jesus

Well I'm lazy and it was there, but we can say it represents the bullshit that is politics or whatever xD

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Theres also a 4/4 turning into a 3/4, also a 5/6 turning into 3/6, also a the 3/4 turns into a 3/3, also the 3/6 turns into a 2/6, and finally the 0/3 turns into a 2 or 3/?

xD

Seems like the commies are invading the domino industry.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I really wonder what other countries will begin to investigate this really, Germany, UK mayb? :Shrug: 

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

how does one not talk about politics when subject involves governments? ._. (serious question)

Don't talk about policies themselves. Just call everyone stupid.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Don't talk about policies themselves. Just call everyone stupid.

Ok, Stupid :P, or were you referring to politician themselves?

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

Ok, Stupid :P, or were you referring to politician themselves?

Yes, stupid, I'm referring to the politicians themselves. However, calling everyone involved in the conversation, both friend and foe, stupid is optional but highly encouraged.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 21/11/2017 at 7:02 PM, Beowulff83 said:

#1 EA deserves every bit of this.

#2 Anyone who contacted a government official about EA's actions are complete Idiots.

Once you start down the Governmental control path, for ever will it dominate your gaming future.   We just gave the governments of the world reason to get their fingers in the gamming industry.  Everything Government controls usually fails hard.  In a few years we will probably be begging for Loot Boxes back.  

I honestly dont think thats possible, govt wont control gaming, it will just regulate Loot Boxes, just like they started regulating into age categories 15+ years ago. No need to get paranoic about something as little as this.

On 21/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, aisle9 said:

Oh good, loot boxes are going to be banned now. Since we no longer have a way to let the stupid few subsidize the game for the rest of us, I hope everyone enjoys paying $80 for the non-DLC base copy of games going forwards.

Not long ago, $60 dollar games came with everything, then DLC came and with it $80-$100 Game Editions for collectors to "better finance" studios and publishers and nowadays we have $100 Edition Games that come with a $60 game. DLC but it`s not complete, because a $100 isnt enough for a complete game you now have to pay (gamble) if you want to get mre stuff. Loot ºBoxes dont subsidize, they just give money to studions, it they did subsidize the we`d have $30 or $40 games, not the 15+ year old $60 game price. 

2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I really wonder what other countries will begin to investigate this really, Germany, UK mayb? :Shrug: 

Sweden has announced that they will do it.

10 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

I honestly dont think thats possible, govt wont control gaming, it will just regulate Loot Boxes, just like they started regulating into age categories 15+ years ago. No need to get paranoic about something as little as this.

The ESRB (the ones labeling games as 15+) is actually not government run.

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sweden has announced that they will do it.

Any link to it? (Not that I don't believe you, just want to add it into my OP)

26 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Any link to it? (Not that I don't believe you, just want to add it into my OP)

Here is a link, but it's in Swedish.

It's not conclusive yet, but it seems like lootboxes like the ones in Battlefront will not be classified as gambling in Sweden since the law specifically says it needs to have a real life value.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Here is a link, but it's in Swedish.

It's not conclusive yet, but it seems like lootboxes like the ones in Battlefront will not be classified as gambling in Sweden since the law specifically says it needs to have a real life value.

Wouldn't the fact that money is used to purchase it for a probabilistic risk, rather than a fixed item, be considered gambling?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Wouldn't the fact that money is used to purchase it for a probabilistic risk, rather than a fixed item, be considered gambling?

The way I read it (just read through it briefly), no. It seems like it is only gambling if the reward you get is or can be converted to money.

Just now, LAwLz said:

The way I read it (just read through it briefly), no. It seems like it is only gambling if the reward you get is or can be converted to money.

Someone contact them about CS:GO, PUBG, Rocket League ect. Plenty of people open CSGO boxes in hopes of getting an item worth something. Same with the others. As much as I don't agree with P2W RNG boxes, the boxes that institute gambling and manipulate you I hate just as much.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)