Firefox 57 (aka Quantum) out now. Huge performance improvements.

pyrojoe34
18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That's weird.

It says that webm is disabled in my about:config, but clearly it is working on youtube for me. You sure it's not some old issues that has since then been fixed?

That was how my nightly install was setup , however this was on an Atom Z3735 with 1GB RAM so it may be dependant on the device ,probably if it supports hardware VP8/9 decoding to prevent it being an abysmal experience and putting people off (the number of people selecting 1080p video on a 720p screen because they thing it will provide a noticeable quality improvement 

EDIT: Seems that youtubes compression and bit rate can lead to higher resolutions being beneficial.

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Getting around to comparing the way Firefox is now handling Youtube videos to Chrome:

• Videos start a lot faster
  • significantly shorter wait when changing video resolution
  • No dropped frames at all (stock 4790K+stock GTX 970 G1 Gaming)
  • Lower CPU usage, higher GPU usage (I wonder if I could set FF to use my GTX 650ti for decoding).

And overall the user experience has been better.

From the comments on this thread I am fairly certain Firefox has an issue with hardware decoding depending on the codec and platform. My R9 290 used to use ~150W while watching a 720p YouTube video until some combination of updates put an end to that.

4 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

(the number of people selecting 1080p video on a 720p screen because they thing it will provide a noticeable quality improvement (downscaling isn't that impressive ) is large).

With streaming sites (especially YouTube) it absolutely does make a huge difference... but it has nothing to do with the resolution. It’s because the bitrate served is resolution dependent. You can try it yourself. Use a 1080p screen and compare 1080p YouTube vs 4k YouTube (especially with moving scenes and foliage artifacting). You will notice a massive difference in video quality (even works with 1080p vs 1440p).

I always watch YouTube videos at 4k on 1080+p screens and watch in 1080p or 1440p on my laptops (which are 768p and 900p). There is absolutely a massive increase in quality even considering the interpolation.

For example: YouTube uses ~8Mbps for 1080p30 and ~35-45Mbps for 4k30. Personally, when rendering 1080p30 h.264 videos I use at the very least 45Mbps to minimize compression artifacts. That’s also why you should upscale 1080p footage to 4k before uploading, you get a noticeable increase in quality compared to uploading in its native 1080p resolution due to YT’s compression metrics.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

7 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

From the comments on this thread I am fairly certain Firefox has an issue with hardware decoding depending on the codec and platform. My R9 290 used to use ~150W while watching a 720p YouTube video until some combination of updates put an end to that.

AMD's cards have always been a bit power hungry compared to Nvidia's when it comes to video decoding, can't find the review I saw the figures on, but it was around 50W for an R9 290/290X watching Blueray.

2 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

With streaming sites (especially YouTube) it absolutely does make a huge difference... but it has nothing to do with the resolution. It’s because the bitrate served is resolution dependent. You can try it yourself. Use a 1080p screen and compare 1080p YouTube vs 4k YouTube (especially with moving scenes and foliage artifacting). You will notice a massive difference in video quality (even works with 1080p vs 1440p).

I always watch YouTube videos at 4k on 1080+p screens and watch in 1080p or 1440p on my laptops (which are 768p and 900p). There is absolutely a massive increase in quality even considering the interpolation.

For example: YouTube uses ~8Mbps for 1080p30 and ~35-45Mbps for 4k30. Personally, when rendering 1080p30 h.264 videos I use at the very least 45Mbps to minimize compression artifacts. That’s also why you should upscale 1080p footage to 4k before uploading, you get a noticeable increase in quality compared to uploading in its native 1080p resolution due to YT’s compression metrics.

My internet's only good enough for 1440p :(

However, even 1440p still gives a noticeable quality increase.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And I'm back on Edge. 

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I absolutely love the new Firefox Update. I have noticed the speed updates and less resource usage the most. Super happy with it :) 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And I'm back on Edge. 

How does Edge work for you when compared to other browsers?It's significantly slower than chrome and firefox on my PC.

2 hours ago, MyName13 said:

How does Edge work for you when compared to other browsers?It's significantly slower than chrome and firefox on my PC.

Hands down the fastest.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Hands down the fastest.

Fastest in what way?

28 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Fastest in what way?

Load, response, and download times.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Load, response, and download times.

When you compared, did you use an old or a new install of Chrome/Firefox? Did you use any extensions for the different browsers?

Load - Several independent benchmarks actually puts it behind Chrome and Firefox on a lot of sites, but sometimes coming out on top. Seems like all three are trading blows with one another.

Response - You mean like in the UI? I don't think I agree but at the same time I don't think there are any objective tests I can point towards to say that you're wrong.

Download times - Wait, so what you're saying is that downloading files is faster in Edge than other browsers? That I call BS on, unless you have some proxy or VPN setting enabled in the other browsers which slows them down.

Edit:

It might seem like I am attacking you by asking so many questions but I am actually just curious how you arrived at your conclusions because they contradict the tests I have done and looked at. Browsers are one of my big interests so when someone comes with a different POV I wonder how they think and what tests they have done.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

When you compared, did you use an old or a new install of Chrome/Firefox? Did you use any extensions for the different browsers?

Clean FF57 install.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Several independent benchmarks actually puts it behind Chrome and Firefox on a lot of sites, but sometimes coming out on top. Seems like all three are trading blows with one another.

FF57 has only been able to load YouTube faster as far as my personal testing goes. But not by a meaningful margin.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You mean like in the UI? I don't think I agree but at the same time I don't think there are any objective tests I can point towards to say that you're wrong.

In Windows, FF57 is fairly clunky after letting the browser sit on the home screen for just a few minutes. I only keep pinned sites on home. It's worse than Edge, FF56 on Windows, and FF57 on OSX. FF57 in Ubuntu in HyperV is more responsive.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, so what you're saying is that downloading files is faster in Edge than other browsers? That I call BS on, unless you have some proxy or VPN setting enabled in the other browsers which slows them down.

Yes. Not by a huge margin, but Edge has been consistantly faster than 57. 56 was faster than Edge, and Safari on OSX is faster than both. Even when browsing mock sites off of my NAS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

16 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And I'm back on Edge. 

Microsoft will welcome this extra telemetry ;) . The fact that edge constantly tries to set the homepage to MSN + Ads each update should put most people off.

I guess that it is useful on laptops due to a longer battery life, however it's RAM management seems on the level of that of chrome ( or chrome is really good at reducing memory usage on intel ark).

I actually really enjoy it, kinda thinking about fully switching from chrome to firefox. I have had a few random crashes with it though.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Clean FF57 install.

That might explain it. Because of how Windows manages memory, as well as browsers cache things, older installs which has frequently been used will often perform better.

For example Windows might preload certain program files into memory before (SuperFetch) you even launch it. Since your FF install was new, Windows will preload the browser you are used to (Edge) and not do the same for Firefox.

As for websites loading faster, it can be explained with Edge already having some content cached since you've used it more.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

In Windows, FF57 is fairly clunky after letting the browser sit on the home screen for just a few minutes. I only keep pinned sites on home. It's worse than Edge, FF56 on Windows, and FF57 on OSX. FF57 in Ubuntu in HyperV is more responsive.

Does it get "clunkier" just by having it open? That does not sound right at all. FF57 performing worse than FF56 sounds like your install is messed up. I have so far not seen a single test which shows this.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Yes. Not by a huge margin, but Edge has been consistantly faster than 57. 56 was faster than Edge, and Safari on OSX is faster than both. Even when browsing mock sites off of my NAS.

Wait, has it been faster downloading things or loading web pages?

Because the way I interpreted your post, it was faster at downloading for example files, and I find that very hard to believe.

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

I guess that it is useful on laptops due to a longer battery life

You really shouldn't trust what Microsoft says. According to Linus' test Edge actually resulted in shorter battery life than Firefox and Chrome, although the difference was very small (using the same test Microsoft used).

Remember, RP statements like "Edge has better battery life!" is only said in an attempt to make your product look better than competitors. It's very often half-truths or flat out lies.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You really shouldn't trust what Microsoft says. According to Linus' test Edge actually resulted in shorter battery life than Firefox and Chrome, although the difference was very small (using the same test Microsoft used).

Remember, RP statements like "Edge has better battery life!" is only said in an attempt to make your product look better than competitors. It's very often half-truths or flat out lies.

I am basing this off independent tests, some are below. Microsoft does like to exaggerate about edge's efficiency however this can be beneficial as Chrome was later improved in order to counter this statement.: https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/15/14932718/google-chrome-browser-battery-life-tab-throttling

https://www.custompcreview.com/articles/chrome-vs-edge-vs-firefox-best-browser-battery-life/ 

-Firefox is worse than Edge, noticeably in video streaming.

https://www.avg.com/en/signal/chrome-battery-life-vs-edge-and-firefox

- Edge now noticeably ahead, this was FF51 though.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/web-browers-battery-life-tested/

-Firefox 55 worse than Edge.

image.png.294840527a07a6673cc5fca982b84430.png

-Firefox seems to be doing a slightly worse than edge, not much worse though.

Overall from what I have tested myself and the above tests Edge can be and mostly is better than Firefox in the battery life department. However this is not Firefox 57+, all these tests used older versions. Mozilla have done an impressive job and are continuing to work on this. From my testing if the plugin container process can be reigned in (mainly by disabling flash for all websites) there would be an improvement.

Neat I might have to try ff  esp for laptop use....that would be great for more battery life 

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That might explain it. Because of how Windows manages memory, as well as browsers cache things, older installs which has frequently been used will often perform better.

For example Windows might preload certain program files into memory before (SuperFetch) you even launch it. Since your FF install was new, Windows will preload the browser you are used to (Edge) and not do the same for Firefox.

As for websites loading faster, it can be explained with Edge already having some content cached since you've used it more.

It would, if it weren't for the fact that I've used FF56 almost exclusively since my last clean install of Win10 on my main machine, and the only sites I've used Edge for have been a few downloads and PDFs that I've downloaded.

I've also disabled SuperFetch and the page file. Don't really need either when I'm running 32GB of RAM and approx 1.25TB of SSD storage just for OS and programs.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Does it get "clunkier" just by having it open? That does not sound right at all. FF57 performing worse than FF56 sounds like your install is messed up. I have so far not seen a single test which shows this.

The issue with going off of tests is that it's practically impossible to test all configurations. I don't have these issues with the OSX or Ubuntu counterparts of 56. Only in Windows 10.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, has it been faster downloading things or loading web pages?

Because the way I interpreted your post, it was faster at downloading for example files, and I find that very hard to believe.

Downloading files.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I just got a new laptop that only has 2 gigs of ram and a celeron b800 and I must say that firefox loads and runs much faster.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

57 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

[...]

Downloading files.

I still don't see how this could be possible.  Rendering pages, sure, every browser does that differently and there's a ton of room for optimization but downloading files is just a simple bulk transfer... I can't imagine how this would differ between browsers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I still don't see how this could be possible.  Rendering pages, sure, every browser does that differently and there's a ton of room for optimization but downloading files is just a simple bulk transfer... I can't imagine how this would differ between browsers

My working hypothesis is that Edge is capable of getting more access to network resources due to its integration with Win10. It's also the only browser that doesn't slow down to a crawl when  downloading games on steam or anime through the Movies & TV app.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

My working hypothesis is that Edge is capable of getting more access to network resources due to its integration with Win10. It's also the only browser that doesn't slow down to a crawl when  downloading games on steam or anime through the Movies & TV app.

They are probably giving it priority then, that would explain the Steam thing, but just like boosting the priority of an app when there's nothing else competing doesn't really affect performance, I can't see how that would impact download speeds without anything else running

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

They are probably giving it priority then, that would explain the Steam thing, but just like boosting the priority of an app when there's nothing else competing doesn't really affect performance, I can't see how that would impact download speeds without anything else running

With no interest in the inner working of any of the current browsers, I don't really care about the why, only the what. And the what, is that FF57 doesn't play as nicely with my system as FF56 and Edge do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

With no interest in the inner working of any of the current browsers, I don't really care about the why, only the what. And the what, is that FF57 doesn't play as nicely with my system as FF56 and Edge do.

Hm... it is odd.  You've got me curious enough to run some tests myself

Edit: I ran speedtest on FF57, then Edge, and then back to FF57 and I can't say there's any noticeable difference.  The variance between each test is greater than any variance between the browsers.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Same here, Edge is personally the fastest browser i've ever used but it lack some features to be my daily driver.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Same here, Edge is personally the fastest browser i've ever used but it lack some features to be my daily driver.

Beyond loading web pages, initiating downloads, and not crashing/freezing, I have no additional need or expectation of my web browsers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.