Intel GPUs are coming

tsk
13 hours ago, zberry7 said:

You beat me! This is the best thing to happen in a long time :) 

I wish I could share your optimism. However, I can't see a way in which having more pieces of the puzzle under the same company isn't bad.

You may say this is already the case with AMD, but AMD is currently the smaller player in both markets. If AMD was the leader in the CPU and GPU markets, it would probably be the MHC (Most Hated Company :P) by now.

13 hours ago, tsk said:

By now you've all read the news about Intel CPU's with Radeon graphics on the same PCB as well as them snapping up Raja Koduri from AMD. 

With this news also comes a big, but subtle announcement from Intel; they are gonna start building dedicated graphics solutions. 

Can this mean future gaming graphics cards from Intel? 

Possibly. But it certainly means Intel is seeing the huge potential of HPC and GPUs important role in that. 

Now my little birds at Intel tell me all of this is a result of one competitor Intel sees as a serious threat; Nvidia. 

The GV100 compute chip from Nvidia sits alone at the throne in the Compute space, and Nvidia is making some serious money selling it. 

Any thoughts on Intels future role in the GPU market? 

PS!  This thread revolves around Intels future plans to join the GPU market, not Raja Koduri joining the ranks or the recently announced EMIB board mixing Radeon and Intel. 

Source

To quote Bits and Chips;

https://mobile.twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/928552779945308161

yeah.... dGPUs in 2017, great plan

No, intel isnt aiming for gaming. They are aiming for AI, Automotive and other similar applications which benefits hugely from having mass parrallellism

13 hours ago, tsk said:

Intels future role in the GPU market

Would this mean that the consumer will be getting new adaptive sync technology for monitors?

OR with the help of Raja, be able to take advantage of Freesync?

ORR will they find some way to be compatible with both Freesync AND G-Sync?!

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Would this mean that the consumer will be getting new adaptive sync technology for monitors?

OR with the help of Raja, be able to take advantage of Freesync?

ORR will they find some way to be compatible with both Freesync AND G-Sync?!

Intel is going to implement adaptive sync with ice lake iGPUs, that'll work with freesync monitors. 

2 minutes ago, tsk said:

Intel is going to implement adaptive sync with ice lake iGPUs, that'll work with freesync monitors. 

That's good to hear since it's free to use, unlike G-Sync, and significantly cheaper.

Following up what @Prysin said, we are most likely years away from a consumer card. Most of these will be Quadro level corporate cards made for high level computing and not gaming.

14 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel has tried this, what, 3 times before? We aren't going to see consumer cards. AMD & Nvidia can prevent that with IP lawsuits.  However, this is a Tesla competitor in the HPC/ML/AI space. That's something Intel has patents within the space to do, and they've been losing customers to the really focused GPU compute setups.

However, it'll be 3-4 years before we see anything. And Raja has to actually deliver a product that competes with Nvidia.

what if they buy matrox?

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/oem/developer-tools/ip-licensing/

could that be a possibility?

Y'all are too excited. 2/3/4 years is a long time, where pretty much everything has the possibility of changing. 

(Obviously, I hope this is true, the GPU market really needs competition).  

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

My initial reaction was Great (sarcastic)  Intel will start making Mid-ranged GPUs at Nvidia high end prices.  The more i think about it though Imagine what RTG could do with Intels Budget.  It could be very good for competition but It might take RTG out of the running.  Im not sure the market can handle 3 players where everyone can make the returns they want/Need

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

To quote Bits and Chips;

https://mobile.twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/928552779945308161

yeah.... dGPUs in 2017, great plan

No, intel isnt aiming for gaming. They are aiming for AI, Automotive and other similar applications which benefits hugely from having mass parrallellism

I actually would disagree. Why would they create an architecture for graphics and not ever release a consumer variant. And by Intels own wording on the matter, they specifically state graphics and compute and not just the latter. Also “wide range” and “high end”. It would be quite the shite business decision to not use some of the chips for consumer variants, they can target two separate markets with a single GPU, like the other companies do.

People are overly pessimistic about this imo. Since I’ve been into hardware I haven’t seen nvidia or AMD create an entire new architecture and never release a consumer variant, because it’s expensive to make and you want to recoup that investment in all applicable markets.

edit: before someone says Volta, they will eventually lol. Intel will probably start with business/professional/compute cards but they almost definatley will also release consumer cards. Also Raja is in charge, I have faith 

Force to wear blue

Going to be chief architecture and senior vp.

Work starts in December.

Eyeglasses slightly crooked.

NEW-MCM-small.jpg.9a365d4927f1c906b64fcc9f5301dcd2.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Eyeglasses slightly crooked.

Those of us who have to work for a living don't have the time to straighten our glasses, or address popped collars.

Too bad people don't realize you can't just pull a gpu out of thin air it takes quite a lot of time before an architecture comes to life. By the time team blue comes out with something it'll be at least 2020 :/ Still will be interesting to see some new competition their haven't been 3 gpu manufacturers since 3DFX

R7 2700x (4.3ghz), Gtx Titan Xp Galactic Empire (Watercooled), 2x8 Gskill Trident 3200mhz, Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi, Corsair 900D, SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 256gb, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, 4x3tb 7200rpm Segate Barracudas in Raid 10 EKWB Custom Loop, Corsair AX1500i Power supply

22 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Those of us who have to work for a living don't have the time to straighten our glasses, or address popped collars.

Or comb your hair, or even out your beard, straighten up your shirt, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Honestly, I'm not complaining. Intel has the money, resources and a well known engineer now, who I believe with the money could make something amazing.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 hours ago, zberry7 said:

I actually would disagree. Why would they create an architecture for graphics and not ever release a consumer variant. And by Intels own wording on the matter, they specifically state graphics and compute and not just the latter. Also “wide range” and “high end”. It would be quite the shite business decision to not use some of the chips for consumer variants, they can target two separate markets with a single GPU, like the other companies do.

People are overly pessimistic about this imo. Since I’ve been into hardware I haven’t seen nvidia or AMD create an entire new architecture and never release a consumer variant, because it’s expensive to make and you want to recoup that investment in all applicable markets.

edit: before someone says Volta, they will eventually lol. Intel will probably start with business/professional/compute cards but they almost definatley will also release consumer cards. Also Raja is in charge, I have faith 

Consumer dGPUs would come later, if ever. Intel's business reasons in graphics barely touch on the normal Gaming/Retail space. They need some better dGPU-like tech for Mobile/Consumer Products, and they also need HPC-type as well. Those are the areas that will be profitable. 

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd love to see a return of Matrox into the consumer space. Those were some awesome, super-stable 2D cards back in the day. 

always used some of their software on my win7/8.1 partitions

I know powerdesk for sure, might still have it on jump drive

always took awhile to find the version that would work without their hardware

2 hours ago, SwingLifeAway92 said:

By the time team blue comes out with something it'll be at least 2020 :/ 

That's around the corner.

Spoiler

(Spoken like a true old man on a deadline :P )

*cough* Intel, you mean AMD GPUs *cough*

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Make it faster and cheaper "Value Per FPS" and it wins.Simple, people will buy if its worth buying. I've allways been green team. But i would love to swap colours and im not into red :) 

My main worry with this is drivers. Their GPU drivers are horrible even outside of graphics in general, if this is full assault against Nvdia on anything related to graphics not just games, they really have to changes things and a lot, specially the part of abandoning support for old hardware. Nvidia is still supporting (though not perfectly mind you) 7-8 year graphics on modern hardware, i mean there's proper driver support for 500 series for current windows 10. But sandy bridge iGPU's, which is hardware that released nearby to 500 series, actually a bit later that 500 series, only has official driver support up to windows 8.1, yeah you can install drivers for 8.1 in 10 but your shit out of luck when you eventually have an issue with them, and probably due to this the windows desktop on those drivers look like absolute trash compared to Nvidia, it all looks blurry as hell putting it side by side with Nvidia, at least that's what happened when i had double monitors and since the second runs on vga, which 10 series doesn't support, it was plug into my mainboard, due to this i limited my use of the second monitor when stuff was filled on the main.

Anyways, if Intel wan't to be serious with graphics now, i say they have more work to do with the software side of things that with the hardware.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

nVidia will never make x86 CPUs because Intel is not allowing it. x86 licensing is very complex and Intel has all the buttons, nVidia had plans for an x86 CPU but without Intel approval it was a lost project. On the other hand I don't think Intel will make discrete GPUs for consumers. At best Intel will enter the deep learning / skynet making stuff with Phi like product but based on a GPU architecture. 

8 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I think they could easily market it (better performance/gimping competitors) as some sort of new technology that they're implementing that allows the CPU and GPU to communicate more easily. I also think they could easily get away with it.

except when consumers can choose between an over priced all Intel system or a ryzen + AMD/Nvidia GPU.   If there was no competition in the CPU market then absolutely it could happen, but while ryzen is just as good as any Intel CPU they really only stand to lose custom.  But as I said, you never know just how low any company is willing to sink or what they are willing to risk for more $$.

EDIT: and this of course is assuming Intel are even interested in the gaming side of discrete GPU's and not just after the compute side of the market.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.