Sorry about this but GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB?

Noyu
Go to solution Solved by Noyu,

woah I didn't quite expect a heated debate on my pretty boring post.

anyways, after much deliberation, I've decided to go with the RX580. it seems most of you guys would prefer FreeSync over a 30$ savings.

I'm also leaning towards the XFX over the MSI. Now I just need to confirm that it will fit on either of my cases (SG13, and later, the ML08). It's really weird that I can't find this informaton on the specs page of xfx.

anyways that is all thanks everyone!!

background: see current rig in sig

1. Case: I will be switching my case to a Silverstone ML08 for better portability.
  2. Games: I don't really play the latest AAA games. But I do have some heavyweight titles that were AAA when they were released (e.g. BioShock Infinite. Quantum Break)
  3. Monitor: not on my sig is a 27" 1080p 60-75Hz FreeSync IPS Monitor (LG 27MP78VQ). that will be my daily driver.
  4. OC: I have no plans on overclocking (other than the factory OC). I don't wanna risk overloading the 450W PSU.

Moving on, I'm really getting tired of researching soo I'll just trust your feedback on this ahaha

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE ON MY GPU. THERE ARE NO MORE OPTIONS OTHER THAN WHAT IS INDICATED BELOW:

(if not listed here, it's probably not available or too expensive).

Notes:

• as you can see, it seems that the RX 580 is still expensive due to the supply problem. other than 2 options listed above, the next cheap RX580 choices would be the Sapphire NITRO+ RX 580 8GB and the MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB which is are both around 340$, 40$ overbudget.
  • I'm really leaning toward ZOTAC's Mini / AMP 1060s. Compared to the MSI Armor, I would save 20-30$, probably get better performance (with the AMP!) but lose FreeSync functionality.

HELP

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

pony up for the XFX 580 for freesync support. the 580 performs about the same or slightly better than the 1060 6gb.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

FreeSync> having GTX in front of you video cards name. 

Go 580

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Go for 580. Msi or xfx

Get an NVIDA.  Over 30 years, every single ATI/AMD card I´ve come in contact with sooner or later gave weird problems, so I consider them as junk and wouln´t put one into my computer even if I got payed for it.

4 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Get an NVIDA.  Over 30 years, every single ATI/AMD card I´ve come in contact with sooner or later gave weird problems, so I consider them as junk and wouln´t put one into my computer even if I got payed for it.

That is bad advice. Your own limited experiences do not apply to everyone else.

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

That is bad advice. Your own limited experiences do not apply to everyone else.

The best advise anyone can give is the advise based on their own experience, and giving such advise doesn´t mean to apply ones own experiences to anyone else.

What do you base the advise on you´re giving?

Just now, heimdali said:

The best advise anyone can give is the advise based on their own experience, and giving such advise doesn´t mean to apply ones own experiences to anyone else.

What do you base the advise on you´re giving?

Pretty much everyone else in the world. Your point is like saying "I got a bad reaction to Cipro/Adderall/any other medication so no one else should use it either.

7 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Pretty much everyone else in the world. Your point is like saying "I got a bad reaction to Cipro/Adderall/any other medication so no one else should use it either.

So you give advise from hearsaying rather than own experience, only repeating what others say, others of whom you might not know how they came to whatever advise they´re giving.  That is bad advise.

Your comparison with medication is invalid because everyone does react differently to it.  Do you try out a medication when you´re being told to better not try it because everyone who did had a bad reaction to it?  Go ahead and try it if you want, you may just happen to be the exception.

Graphics cards, or ppl to graphics cards, do not react differently like ppl react differently to medication.

Rx 580 and undervolt it or Rx 570 because of that Freesync monitor.

Else 1060 because of that 450w psu and casing. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'd go for a RX 580, like some already said you are going for freesync so you might as well use it.

Do keep in mind that an AMD Graphics card is louder/hotter then most NVIDIA counterparts.

This is what I noticed when going for an RX480 with the ASUS STRIX cooler.

If you'd get a STRIX Variant I'd advice installing MSI Afterburner and running the fan at a constant 44%. Or making a fan curve that limits the fan to 44% of its speed.

Anything above that and even my CoolerMaster Silencio 652s lets through too much noise.

It keeps it full speed while but does reach 73C° at peak, averaging about 67C°.

That is what I'd do, feel free to disagree ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

18 minutes ago, heimdali said:

So you give advise from hearsaying rather than own experience, only repeating what others say, others of whom you might not know how they came to whatever advise they´re giving.  That is bad advise.

Your comparison with medication is invalid because everyone does react differently to it.  Do you try out a medication when you´re being told to better not try it because everyone who did had a bad reaction to it?  Go ahead and try it if you want, you may just happen to be the exception.

Graphics cards, or ppl to graphics cards, do not react differently like ppl react differently to medication.

GPUs do. You were unlucky with the AMD cards. Do you hear people complaining like this regularly? 

11 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

GPUs do. You were unlucky with the AMD cards. Do you hear people complaining like this regularly? 

I've gotten unlucky with NVIDIA last time around, 2 GTX980's with overheating and stability issue's.

But my 650Ti Boost before that worked like a charm.
Honestly it is a bit of a lottery.
I tried AMD, and I'm happy with it.

Only paid € 270 for my 8GB RX480, open box but bought it retail.
No issue's and I've got it for about 7 months.

FreeSync is a nice touch.

But when I buy me a successor I'll consider NVIDIA again.

For me it is about pricing, what gives me what I need for the lowest price.
Luck is luck, you either have it or you do not.
But it changes every time you try. 50/50.

EDIT:

GTX980's came from MSI

GTX650 Ti came from GigaByte

RX480 came from ASUS

Just in case anyone cares

Edited by Sfekke
Added what brands of GPU's I had, instead of just the model.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

anecdotal evidence > actual evidence and logical reasoning

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Some people really stick to what they personally experienced.

You cannot blame them, but giving it another chance could be worth it.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

GPUs react differently to ppl as ppl do react differently to medication?  Do you have at least an explanation why this would be the case?

I don´t know what you mean by "complaining".  If you´re asking if I see many ppl saying that their experience with ATI/AMD cards has been consistantly bad over the last 30 years with a number of arbitrary models:  No, I don´t --- and I don´t see how that matters because I don´t know anyone who has 30 years experience with graphics cards in their own computers and the ones at their workplace.  There are probably some ppl who have that, so find those and ask them.  They´re probably not very inclined to make a post like I did because when you do that, there will always be someone who tries to argue against your experience, which is pointless.

I can tell you that when I got my first NVDIA card, it was just another graphics card, and I was prepared to experience all the pain that used to come with graphics cards.  It took a day or two, and I was greatly relieved and amazed how easy and simple things suddenly had become because that card just worked great without any issues and no pain at all.  No other card I´ve had before ever did that, and NVIDIA cards have continued to do that for the last 20 years or so.  The only issue they have is that they tend to fail when they´re about 3.5--6 years old, having run 24/7 365 days a year.  They were all aftermarket ones, so last time I got a FE to see if it´ll hold up better.

As said, every ATI/AMD card I´ve come across has given me problems, and they continued to do that over the last 30 years, and they have also given me more trouble than any other card.  Of course, I stopped buying them about 20 years ago, but I found them in computers at work /because/ they gave trouble.  You can even change out the card in the same computer with one of the same model, and it´ll work for a little while until the replacement suddenly quits.  You can try for hours to fix it and you aren´t getting anywhere.  That makes ATI/AMD cards very expensive.

Now you´re trying to argue that ATI/AMD GPUs don´t like me and react badly to me.  That is mysthicism, and if you believe in that kind of magic, that´s ok, but if you were to give advise, please add to it that your advise is based on magic rather than experience or scientific data.

You also do not know if these cards don´t like the OP and if they will react badly to him.  The only advise I can give is to avoid ATI/AMD cards because they´re a piece of shit, and I give that advise for good reasons.

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Consistant failure with various models of a brand over 30 years is not anecdotical.  What is your actual evidence and logcial reasoning that would contradict the practical experience?

6 minutes ago, heimdali said:

GPUs react differently to ppl as ppl do react differently to medication?  Do you have at least an explanation why this would be the case?

I don´t know what you mean by "complaining".  If you´re asking if I see many ppl saying that their experience with ATI/AMD cards has been consistantly bad over the last 30 years with a number of arbitrary models:  No, I don´t --- and I don´t see how that matters because I don´t know anyone who has 30 years experience with graphics cards in their own computers and the ones at their workplace.  There are probably some ppl who have that, so find those and ask them.  They´re probably not very inclined to make a post like I did because when you do that, there will always be someone who tries to argue against your experience, which is pointless.

I can tell you that when I got my first NVDIA card, it was just another graphics card, and I was prepared to experience all the pain that used to come with graphics cards.  It took a day or two, and I was greatly relieved and amazed how easy and simple things suddenly had become because that card just worked great without any issues and no pain at all.  No other card I´ve had before ever did that, and NVIDIA cards have continued to do that for the last 20 years or so.  The only issue they have is that they tend to fail when they´re about 3.5--6 years old, having run 24/7 365 days a year.  They were all aftermarket ones, so last time I got a FE to see if it´ll hold up better.

As said, every ATI/AMD card I´ve come across has given me problems, and they continued to do that over the last 30 years, and they have also given me more trouble than any other card.  Of course, I stopped buying them about 20 years ago, but I found them in computers at work /because/ they gave trouble.  You can even change out the card in the same computer with one of the same model, and it´ll work for a little while until the replacement suddenly quits.  You can try for hours to fix it and you aren´t getting anywhere.  That makes ATI/AMD cards very expensive.

Now you´re trying to argue that ATI/AMD GPUs don´t like me and react badly to me.  That is mysthicism, and if you believe in that kind of magic, that´s ok, but if you were to give advise, please add to it that your advise is based on magic rather than experience or scientific data.

You also do not know if these cards don´t like the OP and if they will react badly to him.  The only advise I can give is to avoid ATI/AMD cards because they´re a piece of shit, and I give that advise for good reasons.

May I add my question.
You said you didn't buy ANY AMD/ATI card in the last 20 years.

20 Years ago AMD and ATI didn't merge yet did they?
Look I'm not saying they had on issue's 20 years ago (before I was born, so I'm staying out of that argument)

But what I am saying is from my experience and what I heard/tried since they get branded "AMD Radeon" it seems as if they improved quite a few things. Thermals being on of them.

I had problems with my GTX980's, expensive joke I can tell you that.
But when my brother needed a new Graphics card, I advised a GTX1060 6GB.
Price/Performance for what he did seemed better on the green team.

About 5 months in on he's card, still no issue's.
My 980's at the time where crawling and begging for mercy. Aka crashing/overheating being unstable PoS'es.

What I noticed is that luck is involved, you either have it or you do not.

EDIT :

Noticed you did get in contact with them at work, didn't read that part my apologies.

Edited by Sfekke
Misread a part, apologized.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

Go with the advice from the guy that can spell advice.  I chose an RX480 over the 1060 before I upgraded.  And I didn't regret it.

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

I hate to say it but your comparison here is also not valid because you're the only one saying that you've had problems with all of your AMD cards.

I don´t know what you mean by "complaining".  If you´re asking if I see many ppl saying that their experience with ATI/AMD cards has been consistantly bad over the last 30 years with a number of arbitrary models

Either you or the person you are talking to are lying, ATi/AMD haven't been making GPU's for 30 years.

4 minutes ago, veli2501 said:

Go with the advice from the guy that can spell advice.  I chose an RX480 over the 1060 before I upgraded.  And I didn't regret it.

I hate to say it but your comparison here is also not valid because you're the only one saying that you've had problems with all of your AMD cards.

He might have had serious problems with AMD in he's personal rig.
I've had that with MSI, and had a huge hate for them for years. (Honestly I still feel betrayed, but know this is a really isolated issue and chain of events terrible luck)

AMD Isn't all perfect.

Neither is NVIDIA.

No brand is perfect.

I had bad luck with MSI three times in a row, yet after that I seemed to get lucky again.

1 laptop 2 graphics cards from MSI break down after weeks of usage.
Now when I go to get a new Graphics card for a friend of mine, end up getting him an MSI GTX1070. He is the happiest guy in the world and has no problems.

I used that system at he's place for a while, it works as it should.

While I will never forget what MSI Support did to not help me.
It was a very rare issue, and seemingly isn't around anymore.
I got unlucky, that doesn't mean you will.

That mentality is something @heimdalishould obtain, pun intended.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

21 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Consistant failure with various models of a brand over 30 years is not anecdotical.  What is your actual evidence and logcial reasoning that would contradict the practical experience?

It's anecdotal if it's not based on any actual facts or evidence, the quantity/years does not count for shit. 

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/962-5/cartes-graphiques.html

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/954-5/cartes-graphiques.html

(numbers sourced from LDLC, the biggest PC retailer in France - hardware.fr is one of their companies)

While AMD had higher failure rates overall, it very much does depend on the manufacturer, as one can deduce from the per-model field. 

While some 1070s had as high as 7% failure rates, so did the RX 480/580s. 

It's luck of the draw, really. AMD has slightly higher failure rates, but not as bad as what you are saying. 

idk

anyways, after much deliberation, I've decided to go with the RX580. it seems most of you guys would prefer FreeSync over a 30$ savings.

I'm also leaning towards the XFX over the MSI. Now I just need to confirm that it will fit on either of my cases (SG13, and later, the ML08). It's really weird that I can't find this informaton on the specs page of xfx.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

1 minute ago, Sfekke said:

May I add my question.
You said you didn't buy ANY AMD/ATI card in the last 20 years.

20 Years ago AMD and ATI didn't merge yet did they?
Look I'm not saying they had on issue's 20 years ago (before I was born, so I'm staying out of that argument)

But what I am saying is from my experience and what I heard/tried since they get branded "AMD Radeon" it seems as if they improved quite a few things. Thermals being on of them.

I had problems with my GTX980's, expensive joke I can tell you that.
But when my brother needed a new Graphics card, I advised a GTX1060 6GB.
Price/Performance for what he did seemed better on the green team.

About 5 months in on he's card, still no issue's.
My 980's at the time where crawling and begging for mercy. Aka crashing/overheating being unstable PoS'es.

What I noticed is that luck is involved, you either have it or you do not.

Perhaps they made some improvements, yet how come that every time I hear someone saying they´re having some graphics issue, it turns out they have an ATI/AMD card?  I don´t hear these things about NVIDIA cards.

Of course you can have bad luck, so why didn´t you return the 980s?  How likely is it that ATI/AMD cards have always given me trouble while NVIDIAs have not is no more than bad/good luck?

It works out for me to keep things simple, so when stuff from a particular manufacturer shows issues, especially when not only in a single case, I quit buying their stuff, especially new stuff, and the problem goes away.  I might still buy it when there is no alternative, but yet again, last time I did that, it didn´t take long before I wished I didn´t.

3 minutes ago, Noyu said:

Go with XFX. MSI's current design iteration is the exact same as the boring, overdone motif from last generation. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.