What To Do Directly After Building A PC

KyberKylo77
Go to solution Solved by TopHatProductions115,
8 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

I'm still clueless when it comes to this but what exactly do you do right after building yourself a pc? Step by step detailed instructions please... so i can refer to it in the future.

In this Mini-Guide (the first, in a while, of a series), I'll be going over what you should do right after building a PC from scratch.

1) Grab 2 good thumb drives if possible. Preferably, one should be around 8-10GB (Correction by firecrow797) in size, to accommodate for modern OS's. The other only needs to be around 3-4GB at most. Also, make sure that it's empty. If not, back up its contents to a separate computer.

NOTE: Make sure that you have purchased a verified Windows license before following this guide. If you need to, call Microsoft and have them verify the key (if you purchased your license via third-party). Otherwise, you will have a bad time. I suggest purchasing Windows 10 Pro for Workstations if you build is a workstation, or plain Windows 10 Pro if you'll simply be gaming, livestreaming, or doing other normal tasks. Don't buy Windows 10s if you see the option. It's utter nonsense to pay for a neutered product.

Windows 10 Pro ::

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt/48DN

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (coming soon) ::

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-may-have-price-increases-in-store-for-windows-10-pro-workstation-win-10-downgrade/

2) Grab a second computer and make sure it's at least running Windows 7 or higher. It can be a laptop, a desktop, a workstation - anything that can run a current version of Windows 10.

3) Plug the larger thumb drive into your second computer, and format it to NTFS.

4) Open you favourite web browser and head to:
        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

NOTE: Since you will be downloading some content soon, please create a folder on your Desktop, called "New_PC_Windows_Setup". That is where all the downloads should be placed from here on.

5) Under the section that says "Create Windows 10 installation media", click the blue button that says "Download tool now". Once it's finished, tell it to download the ISO so you can burn it to a DVD or thumb drive later.

NOTE: I know that most modern builds don't include optical drives currently. So, you'll be burning it to a thumb drive (unless you have an empty DVD larger that 4.7GB and an optical drive sitting around).

6) While the Windows 10 ISO is downloading to your drive, identify all parts and peripherals that you have installed into your new. scratch-built PC. For every part that isn't the motherboard, the CPU, or USB-connected peripheral (like a mouse, keyboard, or microphone), go to the manufacturer's website in a new tab and download the driver(s) for that specific device.

7) Go to your motherboard's manufacture's website and look up your motherboard model. Download the latest BIOS/UEFI update as well.

8) Using the smaller thumb drive (of the 2 retrieved), follow the directions on the motherboard manufacturer's website to install the BIOS/UEFI update to your new, scratch-built computer.

9) By now, your Windows 10 ISO should be finished downloading. If not, grab some tea or coffee. Otherwise, go on and burn the Windows 10 ISO to the largest thumb drive using your favourite USB-burning program. Please note that some programs, when told to only wipe and burn one partition, will wipe and burn the entire drive instead. As such, it's best to just use empty thumb drives as a precaution. This is totally not the voice of experience and regret. While that is running, wipe the smaller thumb drive and format it to NTFS. Then, copy your downloaded drivers to the smaller thumb drive.

10) When the burning process is complete, eject both thumb drives. You'll be installing Windows 10 now...

11) Go into your BIOS/UEFI settings, and configure the scratch-built PC to boot from the external USB device first (boot priority). Save your changes and exit the motherboard settings.

12) Shutdown the scratch-built computer, and remove all drives but the one that you intend to run Windows 10 from.
13) Insert the largest thumb drive into the scratch-built PC, reboot the scratch-built PC, and allow the Windows 10 installer to initialize. This may take anywhere from 3-6 minutes (at most).

Correction by firecrow797 - the type of slot you use won't matter in terms of transfer speeds, but using a USB 2.0 slot should present less issues, seeing that lost modern motherboards support booting from USB 2.0 slots. However, less motherboards support booting from USB 3.X (unless it's a very recent model). Also, drivers...

14) Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10 to your scratch-built computer's internal drive. This is where your Windows license will come in. Carefully chose which drive you wish to install Windows 10 to - it will be the largest one in the system for this tutorial.

15) Once Windows 10 has finished installing, allow it to redirect you to your new Desktop! You're almost there...

16) Now, eject the larger thumb drive from the scratch-built PC and insert the smaller thumb drive that holds your drivers.

17) Install each driver, following the on-screen instructions to configure and load them properly. Save these driver installers to a folder on your new Desktop.

18) Once that is finished, go to your Start Menu, and click the Gear icon under your Windows profile picture - the Settings window should open.

19) In Settings, go to "System". Then, on the menu list to your left, click "About". Check the Windows version to see if it says Windows 10 version 1709. If not, go to step 20. If yes, you've finished!

20) In Settings, go to "Update and Security". Under the section labeled "Windows Update", click on the button that says "Check for updates". By the time you're finished letting that install the update (following the on-screen instructions), you should have the Fall Creators Update installed!

EXTRA STEP :: Turn off your computer and re-insert the drives I told you to remove, from earlier on in the tutorial. If this does not apply to you, ignore this advisory message...

If you've made it this far, Congratulations! You have just installed Windows 10, Version 1709 - the Fall Creators' Update!

Now go and backup your new system drive. This task, I leave to you to handle :)

I'm still clueless when it comes to this but what exactly do you do right after building yourself a pc? Step by step detailed instructions please... so i can refer to it in the future.

Just now, KyberKylo77 said:

Install Windows

Download all of the drivers.

Download any software you want.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

open edge

download chrome

install chrome

download NVIDIA drivers

download any other programs you want like Steam, discord, spotify, whatever

install all that stuff and you are done

optionaly you can also grab the latest BIOS for your motherboard and update that

*edit*

first install windows tho lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Turn it on, make sure everything works, update drivers, flash new bios if needed, test for performance issues.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1. Install windows 10 (or your selected operating system)

2. Download drivers for your computer parts (i.e Intel CPU Driver, Sound Drivers, etc.)

3. Download a antivirus (recommended)

4. Download any software you use (Google Chrome, Steam, etc.)

Just now, aidkvndfj said:

1. BIOS Updated (Recommended)

2. Install windows 10 (or your selected operating system)

3. Download drivers for your computer parts (i.e Intel CPU Driver, Sound Drivers, etc.)

4. Download a antivirus (recommended)

5. Download any software you use (Google Chrome, Steam, etc.)

what I do

1-Install windows 

2-get chrome 

3-download all drivers for all devices 

4- Download other things like memes and steam on to the systems 

5- Game, edit, turnoff or watch your terabyte of hentai ( Thats normal right xD).

6- call it a day.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

You guys are forgetting a pretty important step. 

1. Install operating system of choice (most likely windows).

2. UPDATE your operating system. 

3. Install Chrome or Firefox (your choice). 

4. Install latest graphics drivers. 

5. Install any other software you want/need. 

6. Enjoy.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

23 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

download chrome

install chrome

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

2-get chrome 

Umm, there are other browsersxD.

5 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

what I do

1-Install windows 

2-get chrome 

3-download all drivers for all devices 

4- Download other things like memes and steam on to the systems 

5- Game, edit, turnoff or watch your terabyte of hentai ( Thats normal right xD).

6- call it a day.

100% Normal... I think xD

6 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

1 TB? Your a noob...

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Umm, there are other browsersxD.

Yeah but what are you going to do use Bing. I actually like Microsoft edge though

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Factory OC said:

1 TB? Your a noob...

sorry meant 100 petabytes 

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

Yeah but what are you going to do use Bing. I actually like Microsoft edge though

I'd Agree its not AWFUL, just not as good as chrome.

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

sorry meant 100 petabytes 

100 petabytes, bro i got yottabytes upon yottabytes of.... "anime" ;)

Edit: thats 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 bytes

2 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Um, I use Vivaldi...

Billion of people just got butthurt.

But Factory OC, isn't Vivaldi made by some old Opera employees?

Yeah it is, leave me alone...

But yeah it's based on chromium.

1 minute ago, aidkvndfj said:

100 petabytes, bro i got yottabytes upon yottabytes of.... "anime" ;)

(thats 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 bytes)

Respect. Have your ISP banned you?

VPN.....

30 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

open edge

download chrome

install chrome

download NVIDIA drivers

download any other programs you want like Steam, discord, spotify, whatever

install all that stuff and you are done

optionaly you can also grab the latest BIOS for your motherboard and update that

*edit*

first install windows tho lol

Okay so ill revise.

Install windows

open microsoft garbage

download opera

install opera 

download nvidia/amd drivers

download steam, epic games, origin, uplay(cancer), discord, spotify, and anything else

install all dat stuff

if you spicy af, you can update your bios on your mobo, and overclock.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I release the flood gates if they do that entire internet will be full of " Anime"

Put it in a closet and buy a console (ಥ ͜ʖಥ)

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

if you spicy af, you can update your bios on your mobo, and overclock.

Oh yeah I forgot that.

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Um, I use Vivaldi...

Billion of people just got butthurt.

But Factory OC, isn't Vivaldi made by some old Opera employees?

Yeah it is, leave me alone...

But yeah it's based on chromium.

I dont have a problem with the search engine, unless its bing, their results suck. Vivaldi is okay. Chromium succ, chrome succ, edge = worse than ubisoft.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!