1070 SLI for 4K 60Hz

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by byalexandr,

1080 Ti it is, would end up being much less expensive as well. Thanks guys

Before I begin, let me mention the fact that I already have a GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I've recently been playing at 4K on a nice 55" TV, and I think I want to get my own 55" 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0 so I can do 4K 60Hz (right now I can only do 4K 30Hz). I love playing on a huge display especially at this resolution, and I've already been picking out TVs with HDMI 2.0 and low response time to make it extra nice for gaming. But, I'm not sure if my single 1070 is up to the task, which I got originally because I always used to play at 1080p.

Would it be a better idea to get a Micro ATX board, new case, and maybe a new PSU and have dual 1070s? Or would it be better to get rid of the 1070 and just like a 1080 Ti or a Vega 64 (the nice liquid cooled version)?

I do like AMD a lot more than Nvidia so if I do end up sticking with the single GPU route, how much of a performance increase will the Vega 64 be? Will it be enough for 4K 60Hz? What about the 1080 Ti?

I would say get the 1070 sli, it outperforms the 1080 ti by a few fps in all games (4k, 1440p, 1080p) and its a lot cheaper than a 1080 ti.

Dont get vega 64, here is why: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64-LC-Liquid-Cooled/3603vsm353890

1% more powerful than a single gtx 1080 ti, but almost 1000$ more.

9 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Before I begin, let me mention the fact that I already have a GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I've recently been playing at 4K on a nice 55" TV, and I think I want to get my own 55" 4K TV that has HDMI 2.0 so I can do 4K 60Hz (right now I can only do 4K 30Hz). I love playing on a huge display especially at this resolution, and I've already been picking out TVs with HDMI 2.0 and low response time to make it extra nice for gaming. But, I'm not sure if my single 1070 is up to the task, which I got originally because I always used to play at 1080p.

Would it be a better idea to get a Micro ATX board, new case, and maybe a new PSU and have dual 1070s? Or would it be better to get rid of the 1070 and just like a 1080 Ti or a Vega 64 (the nice liquid cooled version)?

I do like AMD a lot more than Nvidia so if I do end up sticking with the single GPU route, how much of a performance increase will the Vega 64 be? Will it be enough for 4K 60Hz? What about the 1080 Ti?

I'd say sell the 1070 and get a 1080Ti instead of SLI. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, IO Studios said:

I would say get the 1070 sli, it outperforms the 1080 ti by a few fps in all games (4k, 1440p, 1080p) and its a lot cheaper than a 1080 ti.

Dont get vega 64, here is why: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-64-LC-Liquid-Cooled/3603vsm353890

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

So one says sell the 1070 and get a 1080 Ti, one says get a second 1070. I kind of like the second 1070 idea save for the fact that I will need a new motherboard and possibly a new PSU.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

That could work too

Just now, byalexandr said:

So one says sell the 1070 and get a 1080 Ti, one says get a second 1070. I kind of like the second 1070 idea save for the fact that I will need a new motherboard and possibly a new PSU.

if you need to replace so much's parts for sli i think its just smarter to go for 1080 ti

possiable on some games only problem is In    put                    lag so fo---   r more competive gaming i     t could get      dicey.         

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 minutes ago, IO Studios said:

That's a 1080, not a 1080ti (also user benchmark isnt the best to go off of)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Here are the facts:

1070 SLI Faster than 1080 Ti

1080 Ti will be more reliable as its only a single card and you dont have to worry about sli scaling.

If you sell your current 1070 you could afford a 1080 ti for less than if you got another 1070

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

possiable on some games only problem is In    put                    lag so fo---   r more competive gaming i     t could get      dicey.         

first of all what is this language ? second thing is 1080 ti or sli 1070 is good enough to run ANY competitive game ON 4K 60fps

SLI support in games is slowly dying. sell your 1070 and buy a 1080ti.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

14 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Forget SLI

Glitchy, most game doesn't support it and games that does most of the time it fails

It's good for certain game tho, like BF

Always priorize 1 card.

Go for 1080 ti

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

if u even think about 4k gaming and u dont have the money for the absolute best ( sli 1080 or sli 1080ti ) u can forget good framerate on any graphic intensive game :S

i just dont see the point of 4k gaming yet until they make our gpu,s 3x as powerful :S 1080p looks way better with maximum settings then 4k with medium :S ( for decent fps )

and i dont see the point of playing csgo in 4k... lol

(◑‿◐)

Just now, gbergeron said:

Forget SLI

Glitchy, most game doesn't support it and games that does most of the time it fails

It's good for certain game tho, like BF

Always priorize 1 card.

Go for 1080 ti

yeah, I say go 1080 ti too

6 minutes ago, IO Studios said:

Here are the facts:

1070 SLI Faster than 1080 Ti

1080 Ti will be more reliable as its only a single card and you dont have to worry about sli scaling.

If you sell your current 1070 you could afford a 1080 ti for less than if you got another 1070

This is accurate aside the fact a SLI 1070 due too bad scaling actually is around equal performance to the 1080 Ti, and a SLI 1080's is usually 10fps better at 4k... I'd try to sell the 1070 even at a loss just to speed things up and get the 1080 Ti, I can vouche that it is a great upgrade i went from a GTX TITAN Maxwell which is on pair with the 1070 for a 1080 Ti and I was very very pleased with it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

first of all what is this language ? second thing is 1080 ti or sli 1070 is good enough to run ANY competitive game ON 4K 60fps

the idea was a joke implying input lag of a tv and for some games yes I am pretty sure lighter games like CS GO and LoL that are extremely competitive

can run at 60 fps 4k on a tv even some older hardware can do CS GO for sure if you get 300 fps at 1080p yo will get normally around 100-90 fps at 4k. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

5 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

I think they meant the fact that OP is using a TV as a monitor.

the idea was a joke implying input lag of a tv and for some games yes I am pretty sure lighter games like CS GO and LoL that are extremely competitive

can run at 60 fps 4k on a tv even some older hardware can do CS GO for sure if you get 300 fps at 1080p yo will get normally around 100-90 fps at 4k. 

oh i didnt get that joke :D

Just now, bomberblyat said:

oh i didnt get that joke :D

yeah I can see how it was hard to understand XD.

I thought people who play CS:GO are playing in the lowest setting. Some people i saw used to go windowed with low resolution and lowest settings for that extra FPS

yeah I can see how it was hard to understand XD.

i thought you were typing with phone or some 

Just now, bomberblyat said:

if you need to replace so much's parts for sli i think its just smarter to go for 1080 ti

I think what I need is a cost analysis. Like how much I will end up spending for both. Assuming both will provide the same level of performance?

Either way, along with a $430 1070 Gaming X I will need a new $120 ATX board since apparently no mATX board supports SLI that's also X370, and a new case which is going to be another $120, and then I might go get a new PSU since idk about 650W. So after selling some of the old parts I end up spending not only $430 on the GPU but the cost difference of the motherboard and case.

That or sell my 1070 for $350-400 and get a $800 1080 Ti iCX. Plus I can keep it mITX the way I like it.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

I think what I need is a cost analysis. Like how much I will end up spending for both. Assuming both will provide the same level of performance?

Either way, along with a $430 1070 Gaming X I will need a new $120 ATX board since apparently no mATX board supports SLI that's also X370, and a new case which is going to be another $120, and then I might go get a new PSU since idk about 650W. So after selling some of the old parts I end up spending not only $430 on the GPU but the cost difference of the motherboard and case.

That or sell my 1070 for $350-400 and get a $800 1080 Ti iCX. Plus I can keep it mITX the way I like it.

Also as others mentioned before SLI can be wonky sometimes