LTT Gaming Server?

During the last WAN Show (Oct, 20th 2017) Linus made a comment in regards to the possibility of hosting an LTT Gaming Server. It seems that this is something that people like the idea of. 
How do you feel about this and what games would you like to be included?

59eac2903d291_LTTServerComment.jpg.4bdded9550d308b7d92abddbb514d7ec.jpg

I already manage the GetRekt.com Rust and ARK servers. Problem is LTT members are very spread out so they have to be games where latency isnt such an issue unless hes just going to cater go a particular region. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

If I get what he said it was going to be one just for the staff to play on. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

How about this suggestion:

We as a community host the more latency sensitive servers in different regions like EU, US, CA. We also split up the load of the slower game servers, eg EU hosts minecraft, us hosts paradox games, CA hosts empire at war (running out of ideas). 

These would be community servers, and one could always add another. 

In this forum are quite a few dudes (including me) who would host a small server for this community, just because it gives them an excuse to toy more with server hosting. 

A simple more internet connection of like 50/10 can handle a quite a few players, probably more than would realistically play. 

On 21.10.2017 at 7:40 PM, ChalkChalkson said:

Yeah, but why don't we host some for he community? 

because "we" in this case means LTT which has better things to do with their computing power and connection than hosting game servers.

9 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

because "we" in this case means LTT which has better things to do with their computing power and connection than hosting game servers.

No, I meant us people in this subforum... many of us host servers just for the heck of it anyway :D 

6 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

No, I meant us people in this subforum... many of us host servers just for the heck of it anyway :D 

yep thats another thing and should be possible.

im running a vanilla minecraft server and a vanilla space engineers server in my living room.

4 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

yep thats another thing and should be possible.

im running a vanilla minecraft server and a vanilla space engineers server in my living room.

That is kinda what I am talking about... I have some free capabilities, too and would gladly host a small-ish game server for EU.

We just need to compile a list of possible hosts, and games in which there is interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I want that LTT Halo server. Post or pre WAN Show could occur on there and twitch. I want to beat down Linus and Luke (in Halo) while they chat about shit.

We could do a survey to determine which games most of us are playing. I could also host one myself in the eu.

• 10 months later...
On 10/21/2017 at 5:39 PM, ChalkChalkson said:

We as a community host the more latency sensitive servers in different regions like EU, US, CA. We also split up the load of the slower game servers, eg EU hosts minecraft, us hosts paradox games, CA hosts empire at war (running out of ideas). 

In this forum are quite a few dudes (including me) who would host a small server for this community, just because it gives them an excuse to toy more with server hosting. 

A simple more internet connection of like 50/10 can handle a quite a few players, probably more than would realistically play. 

Hello, i would love to be part of this. Is this still in making or did you guys drop this idea?

On 21.10.2017 at 7:39 PM, ChalkChalkson said:

What you are suggesting is already being done in Norway. A completely community based hosting system, people can host their own servers or borrow a server completely free for a set time period or extended period if the server is populare. Been following the development of this for a while and they are actually taking alot of business away from game server hosting providers.

Sadly this option is only available if you actually live in Norway at this moment.. But maybe someone will adapt the same idea for other countries..

On 23.10.2017 at 6:14 PM, ChalkChalkson said:

Great idea if you ask me!

I have a big-ish server sitting in a datacenter doing next to nothing 90% of the time. I'd be happy to allocate some resources to a gaming server ^^

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

On 10/23/2017 at 7:38 AM, Pixel5 said:

Aren't they building a huge LAN gaming area at their office? :D 

If people can host their own dedicated servers at home, I'm sure it would be a relatively small amount of LTT resources to do, regardless of if the idea actually takes off or not.

Which I think it won't, based on the wide range of games people would want.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

UT99 server anyone? Lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 9/22/2018 at 3:06 PM, AbsoluteFool said:

What you are suggesting is already being done in Norway. A completely community based hosting system, people can host their own servers or borrow a server completely free for a set time period or extended period if the server is populare. Been following the development of this for a while and they are actually taking alot of business away from game server hosting providers.

Sadly this option is only available if you actually live in Norway at this moment.. But maybe someone will adapt the same idea for other countries..

Any idea of the name of the community base hosting system? Curious to look into it more just to get more background on it. 

On 25.9.2018 at 4:16 PM, Ross Siggers said:

Aren't they building a huge LAN gaming area at their office? :D 

If people can host their own dedicated servers at home, I'm sure it would be a relatively small amount of LTT resources to do, regardless of if the idea actually takes off or not.

Which I think it won't, based on the wide range of games people would want.

its for this intel sponsored video and according to what linus said once its done its to game with employees and not open to the public.