What does "Future Proof" mean to you?

AncientNerd

Okay I just had an interesting bit of response to another thread, basically the conversation went me saying that future proof was the ability to upgrade around the periphery of a system while keeping the core intact, while the other person said that no it is basically "don't touch it for X years".

I find this an interesting question and thought I would ask others opinion. 

It means that your PC (if your talking about PCs) will last a decent amount of time working well to YOUR standards  before having to upgrade or build/buy a new one 

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

IMO, people worry too much about futureproofing. Just get whatever offers the best performance in the applications that you are using and stop worrying about how it's going to perform 5 years down the line. -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Zic05 said:

It means that your PC (if your talking about PCs) will last a decent amount of time working well to YOUR standards  before having to upgrade or build/buy a new one 

Yes, I am talking about PCs. I guess I didn't make that clear enough.

a PC built to last the test of time and to be able to handle new software and games that come out without too many problems.

money is futureproof, coz even if u keep it for a long time for the future u can still use it and it wont have decreased in value

^

thats basicly what futureproof means to me, nothing in hardware is futureproof in that context because they lose their value in a while however most ppl see futureproof as able to run for atleast a few years

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

money is futureproof, coz even if u keep it for a long time for the future u can still use it and it wont have decreased in value

You obviously have never heard of the term "inflation"

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/09/14/140419140/the-economic-catastrophe-that-germany-cant-forget

Ask Germany, post WW1. Not even money is future proof

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

You obviously have never heard of the term "inflation"

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/09/14/140419140/the-economic-catastrophe-that-germany-cant-forget

Ask Germany, post WW1. Not even money is future proof

Probably a weird example, but it's the same with the TF2 marketplace. 1 refined metal used to be 1/3 of a key. The key has remained at the same value but not one refined is around 1/30 of a key.

Anyway, I would describe futureproof as "living up to your expectations over the course of the device's lifetime". So for a phone, it should retain similar performance and be compatible with current technology for 2-3 years after your purchase since that's the standard contract length. For a desktop PC, it would be 3-8 years, and still be compatible with most modern technology and run games up to your expectations.

I edit my posts a lot.

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

^

thats basicly what futureproof means to me, nothing in hardware is futureproof in that context because they lose their value in a while however most ppl see futureproof as able to run for atleast a few years

That’s not true, money can go down in value

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

2 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Probably a weird example, but it's the same with the TF2 marketplace. 1 refined metal used to be 1/3 of a key. The key has remained at the same value but not one refined is around 1/30 of a key.

Anyway, I would describe futureproof as "living up to your expectations over the course of the device's lifetime". So for a phone, it should retain similar performance and be compatible with current technology for 2-3 years after your purchase since that's the standard contract length. For a desktop PC, it would be 3-8 years, and still be compatible with most modern technology and run games up to your expectations.

2 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

That’s not true, money can go down in value

In general, the term "future-proof" refers to the ability of something to continue to be of value into the distant future; that the item does not become obsolete.

(◑‿◐)

It seems like most people agree with me, it means buy something now and not touch it and expect it to last X amount of years.

a future proof system should hold up to the tasks you will have to perform the comming x years

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

Hmm, interesting this is probably the closest so far to what I think of when I think of future proof. Basically "can I continue to use and/or upgrade this inexpensively". 

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It seems like most people agree with me, it means buy something now and not touch it and expect it to last X amount of years.

Yup, I am in the minority...you were right.

Futureproof, verb. To spend unnecessary amounts of money on your PC, getting only slightly better performance today and probably still only slightly better performance in the future.

Example usage: I bought an 8 GB RX 580. My PC is futureproofed for 4K gaming.

Synonyms include:

• Getting more than 16 GB of RAM for gaming
  • Buying an 8 GB Polaris card for 4K
  • Kaby Lake-X

23 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

What happened with refined metal is that people realized that it really serves little purpose. 

Keys basically gained buying power while being worth roughly the same value it was ~5 years ago.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What happened with refined metal is that people realized that it really serves little purpose. 

Keys basically gained buying power while being worth roughly the same value it was ~5 years ago.

And the game would keep dropping new items for players, effectively printing money.

I edit my posts a lot.

3 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

And the game would keep dropping new items for players, effectively printing money.

Yep; while regular craft hats have roughly stayed at the same metal price for ages (1.33 ref until a year or so ago) they started losing value relative to a key's buying power. Even the expensive hats and cosmetics like the Essential Accessories or the Doublecross-Comm lost value. Don't get me started on the Hat of Undeniable Wealth and Respect.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Nothing, it's meaningless. Nothing in technology is "future-proof" because everything is obsolete within the year at most. Buying up from what you need in the hopes of having the system "last" longer is a waste of money. Even having more expansion options you don't need doesn't give you anything in the end, as standards evolve and a couple of years from now things like RAM and SSDs are liable to use a completely different standard at the top end (for example ddr4 vs ddr3, m.2/nvme vs sata, etc.).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Means someone's been drinking too much kool aid and needs a better way to spend their time.

See also bottleneck, minimum required CPU or GPU, and ways youtubers delineate results based on unrealistic graphics settings on video cards

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nothing, it's meaningless. Nothing in technology is "future-proof" because everything is obsolete within the year at most.

Really. 

So if I bought a 1440p G-sync monitor one year ago, it's obsolete? 

If I have a 6950X, it's obsolete?

People like to talk extremes but they need to understand that different parts of their PC have different life span when it comes to future proofing. 

You can easily future proof PSU, RAM, SSD, Monitors and peripherals. 

It WAS somewhat easy to future proof CPU if talking about 3-4y. span. Now it's more difficult but I still wouldn't say that people who bought their i7 6700k for gaming have been obsoleted in a year.

It is extremely difficult to future proof GPU.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Really. 

People like to talk extremes but they need to understand that different parts of their PC have different life span when it comes to future proofing. 

It WAS somewhat easy to future proof CPU if talking about 3-4y. span. Now it's more difficult but I still wouldn't say that people who bought their i7 6700k for gaming have been obsoleted in a year.

Exactly this is exactly what I was trying to say - Great CPU & PSU, they will last longer. Plan your peripherals carefully and they can last buy you don't need to buy those up front because you can add them a bit at a time. Same with RAM and (larger) SSD.  Planned obsolescence for your GPU. 

4 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Really. 

Yes, you can have higher refresh rate or higher color fidelity models now.

4 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Yes, especially since intel halved their price per core this year. Aside from that you're on an older, dead end platform with fewer features and have lower IPC and overclocking capabilities compared to current offerings.

6 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

What does that even mean? The best ssd from last year is slower and lower capacity than this year's, same goes for ram. The concept doesn't apply to peripherals like keyboards, since performance hasn't been a relevant metric for those in decades (except perhaps for mice, but in that case new and better sensors come out constantly, so that's something that can't be "future proof"). Power supplies also improve in time to be more efficient, reliable and silent - if those metrics don't matter to you, then you also don't need to spend more on said power supply in hopes of "future proofing" as the lower end models are just as good as the premium ones when it comes to simply powering your system.

9 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

That's hindsight, in 2011 you couldn't have known intel would sit on their ass for 4 years when it comes to performance - and even if you had known, newer platforms have more features and better power efficiency.

11 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

You can't future proof anything, so this is correct.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*