Dutch DPA: Microsoft breaches data protection law with Windows 10

BOOZy
2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Depends on how much windows is a part of MS's core business model.  It seems to be slipping to the outside as they take on a more cloud orientated service structure.  Which means they might just become more transparent with the authorities (evidencing exactly what data is collected).  Not too sure how people don't know the data is being collected, you have to click ok on something like 3 different pages telling you about it.

Not sure how cloud Windows would go for like consumer side. They brought back regular Office as standalone non cloud, that is it will come like next year. For Windows like OS being cloud service, that just seems very bad.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Not sure how cloud Windows would go for like consumer side. They brought back regular Office as standalone non cloud, that is it will come like next year. For Windows like OS being cloud service, that just seems very bad.

cloud services as in data centre and server services.  I don't think a cloud based OS would even work.  

MS have the second largest cloud services business with Google close behind (Amazon being the largest). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Windows 10 was released before the directive was enacted. Unless Microsoft added more violations to that after it came into effect I don't know if they'd be successful in this suit.

This is not based on the directive, which has not come into force yet. It is based on the Dutch Telecommunications Act, which was passed in October 1998 and last amended in June 2012. I think Microsoft has had fair warning.

33 minutes ago, mr moose said:

cloud services as in data centre and server services.  I don't think a cloud based OS would even work.  

MS have the second largest cloud services business with Google close behind (Amazon being the largest). 

Yeah I guess so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Microsoft has made a reply to the DPA report, which largely summarizes as 'everybody loves Windows 10. We disagree with the DPA assessment, and we're going to try to convince the DPA that they're wrong'.

https://pulse.microsoft.com/nl/nl/security-privacy/na/microsofts-response-privacy-concerns-netherlands/

Microsoft also lies in its responses given here: https://ncmedia.azureedge.net/ncmedia/2017/10/Dutch-DPA-Windows-10-Home_Pro_Investigation_Mi.pdf

One such lie, by omission, is this part:

DPA: Microsoft can use the collected data for the various purposes, described in a very general way. Through this combination of purposes and the lack of transparency Microsoft cannot obtain a legal ground, such as consent, for the processing of data. 

Microsoft: Microsoft is transparent about its uses of the diagnostic data it collects: Microsoft collects Windows diagnostic data to keep Windows up-to-date, secure, and operating properly. It  also helps us improve Windows and, for users who have turned on “tailored experiences”, can be used to provide more relevant tips and recommendations to tailor Microsoft products to the user’s needs. Microsoft uses the collected data for more than one of the purposes we specify, when such use is compatible with the purpose for which the data  as collected. For example, we may collect data to troubleshoot a reliability issues with Windows 10. If that data can also be used to improve a security feature of Windows, we may  use it for that purpose as well. 

Microsoft forgot to mention what they've explained in numerous places before, which is that they also compile the data they collect into business reports and sell those reports to interested groups and people.

Microsoft is totally in practised-smile, lying PR mode.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Microsoft forgot to mention what they've explained in numerous places before, which is that they also compile the data they collect into business reports and sell those reports to interested groups and people.

Microsoft is totally in practised-smile, lying PR mode.

The reason why Windows 10 is free, it’s subsidized by intrusive users data. 

Meanwhile, Apple gives the option to completely turn off telemetry for both iOS and macOS. Furthermore, even if someone opted in to macOS telemetry, they’re collecting depersonalized data unlike Microsoft. 

Personal data is either not logged at all in the reports generated by your Mac, is subject to privacy preserving techniques such as differential privacy, or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Apple.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

22 hours ago, mr moose said:

is there anything more detailed on this?  I have no idea what that link is, is the DPA the dutch version of consumer affairs?

It 'Autoriteit Persoongegevens' so 'Authority on Personal Data'. It's the official government authority that makes sure companies comply with Dutch laws regarding protection of personal data.

6 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

You should learn about a law they want to force thru next year, there a referendum coming against it, allowing police to spy on innocent people aka hack them, just to investigate them, even without proof of being a criminal.

That's a bit of different topic concerning the new law for the Dutch intelligence services, so what data the government can collect. If the secret service suspects there is a potential terrorist in your block, under the new law they might get a license to tap a cable from your block, that way not only acquiring all data from the potential terrorist, but from everybody in the block. That's why the law is colloquially known as the 'trawl law' and this is the law which the referendum will be about.

That has very little to do with laws about what companies like Microsoft or OnePlus can do with personal data of customers. Those laws are generally very good in the Netherlands and the EU and will become even better when the new law becomes active next year.

Is there a contact email for the DPA? I didn't see one on their website, or elsewhere.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Is there a contact email for the DPA? I didn't see one on their website, or elsewhere.

There's none. Only telephone numbers.

Telephone number: (+31) - (0)70 - 888 85 00
Fax: (+31) - (0)70 - 888 85 01  

Press briefing

Journalists and editors can ask our press officers for information via
(+31) - (0)70 - 888 85 55.

15 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

how do you know that google doesn't read hand out messages?

They do. But unlike Microsoft which doesn't tell where does your data go or doesn't show your activity at all, Google gives users the controls and the overview on what they are collecting about you via myactivity.google.com.

15 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

how do you know your choice of email provider doesn't reason your emails?

Google doesn't serve targeted ads on Gmail anymore based on inbox contents anymore https://blog.google/products/gmail/g-suite-gains-traction-in-the-enterprise-g-suites-gmail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/

iCloud and Protonmail do not serve ads at all.

5 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

The reason why Windows 10 is free, it’s subsidized by intrusive users data. 

Meanwhile, Apple gives the option to completely turn off telemetry for both iOS and macOS. Furthermore, even if someone opted in to macOS telemetry, they’re collecting depersonalized data unlike Microsoft. 

Windows 10 isn't really free.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Windows 10 isn't really free.

It's free as an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

It's free as an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

Not any more.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:11 PM, LAwLz said:

In an emailed statement, Coca-Cola said its secret formula has remained the same since it was invented in 1886

That's not true.  When New Coke came out, there was a huge backlash against Coca-Cola over the formula change.  The thing is, after they went back to "Classic Coke", the formula still wasn't the original one.  It was modified, but sold under the "Classic" name.

I'm starting to wish even harder that Mac OS/OSX and Mandrake had taken off and competed with Microsoft Windows.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Not any more.

It actually is, though I don't know why anyone would (at best) sidegrade to Windows 10 from 7 or 8.1

PMSL

41 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It actually is, though I don't know why anyone would (at best) sidegrade to Windows 10 from 7 or 8.1

Well, only if you have a disability. Or lie.

16 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Significantly better generic drivers that are compatible with a wider range of hardware.

Under the hood tweaks that improve performance and consistency.

Better balance between the tablet aspects and desktop aspects of the OS.

UWP games.

Improved versions of features in certain Win10 editions and versions (my personal favorite being Hyper-V).

DirectX12 games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Significantly better generic drivers that are compatible with a wider range of hardware.

The only improved generic driver is the default display one-and that's only supposed to be used for a very short period of time.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Windows 10 performs within margin of error compared to 7 and 8.1

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Windows 7 works just fine as a tablet OS, and 8.1 has the same "balance"

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

UWP games.

The entire UWP is BS, as it is games through it are really just running from .exe and games on the Xbox were initially developed+tested on computers to begin with.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Improved versions of features in certain Win10 editions and versions (my personal favorite being Hyper-V).

The only really improved feature in Windows 10 is multiple screens as well as Window snapping. Everything else is the same (or worse) than Windows 7 and 8.1

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

DirectX12 games.

Considering how few DX 12 games there are even with Windows 10 being released over 2 years ago, plus the fact that manufacturer with the lowest market share is the only one really benefiting since their DX 11 drivers are so poor, and we have Vulkan, DirectX 12 is not a selling point.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

The only improved generic driver is the default display one-and that's only supposed to be used for a very short period of time.

Wifi

Bluetooth

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

The only really improved feature in Windows 10 is multiple screens as well as Window snapping. Everything else is the same (or worse) than Windows 7 and 8.1

In the latest iteration of 10 currently available, GPU passthrough is enabled in Hyper-V. The closest one can get prior to that is fullscreening a hypervisor in a monitor.

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Windows 7 works just fine as a tablet OS, and 8.1 has the same "balance"

Windows 7 does not work fine as a tablet OS. 8 was too reliant on gestures that didn't always work but had no secondary method of activating.

10 is a good improvement over both in this regard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

UWP games.

DirectX12 games.

Look... There are some reasons why you might want to use Windows 10, but your list of "improvements" is the worst one I have seen so far.

• Generic driver support is an issue for like 5 minutes. Once you have installed the regular drivers this is no longer a benefit.
  • Windows 10 does not perform noticeably (nor measurably) better than Windows 7, and consistency seems to have gone down by all the anecdotes I have seen.
  • I don't see why I should care about how good the OS is on a tablet when I don't use it for tablet tasks, and I doubt most people using desktops will care that it is more "touch friendly". But even if we assume that was relevant, Windows 10 is a horrible tablet OS. The pool of applications which are actually pleasant to use in tablet mode is very small, and that's before you factor in that ARM tablets are far superior for tablet tasks simply from the fact that they are much lighter and has better battery life.
  • UWP is cancer and should, if anything, be listed as a negative thing. It makes me sick whenever I see someone encourage the use of that baby-like, walled garden "eco-system". If I wanted to run or use gimped fart-apps then I'd just look up some HTML5 version.

Some extra features and DirectX 12 (which I'd say falls under the "improved version of features" benefit) are legitimate benefits.

8 hours ago, 4960X said:

I have like 90% of the services disabled in W10. Removed all startups, blocked host files.

If you mean hosts file win10 pretty much ignores it when the entry is tied to some ms service...

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

If you mean hosts file win10 pretty much ignores it when the entry is tied to some ms service...

Yeah... It's a "security feature" according to Microsoft.

It "protects" against "malicious" programs which tries to use the host file to redirect traffic.