AMD FX-9590

Go to solution Solved by LGW,

Sorry completely forgot about this thread, I figured out it was my CPU socket overheating, with the boost clock at 5Ghz and its 8 cores it was overheating the socket even though I have one of the motherboards designed for this cpu. I put a fan kind of half ass mounted by balancing behind the socket and it runs fine now.

I bought an AMD FX-9590 knowing it was a hot chip and thermal throttled fast (75°C), so I thought I went overboard with a AIO water cooler, the DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX I have been playing some games and notices FPS drops so I checked my temps on my rig. After thinking it was the Gpu when reading an incorrect tempature I realized it was my CPU but can't figure out why this cooler isn't enough to tame the 9590. I have contacted DEEPCOOL about the abilities to cool, but havent gotten a response due to hollidays. If anyone knows anything about why this may not be working or the abilities of the Captain 240EX please let me know.
Thank you

What motherboard do you have? I sure hope it's a high quality 990FX board, otherwise it might also be the VRMs that are having way too high temperatures.

What kind of temps are you getting on the CPU anyways?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

16 minutes ago, LGW said:

I bought an AMD FX-9590 knowing it was a hot chip and thermal throttled fast (75°C), so I thought I went overboard with a AIO water cooler, the DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX I have been playing some games and notices FPS drops so I checked my temps on my rig. After thinking it was the Gpu when reading an incorrect tempature I realized it was my CPU but can't figure out why this cooler isn't enough to tame the 9590. I have contacted DEEPCOOL about the abilities to cool, but havent gotten a response due to hollidays. If anyone knows anything about why this may not be working or the abilities of the Captain 240EX please let me know.
Thank you

which moboÉ

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

As the others have stated, which motherboard is this chip on?  9590s need some darn good power delivery from the mobo.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Yeah, only like 7 or 8 boards where verified to work with that chip if I remember, it really does pull over 200 watts when really stressed, probably peaks around 260 watts if the 220 watt TDP is correct.

Yours faithfully

23 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, only like 7 or 8 boards where verified to work with that chip if I remember, it really does pull over 200 watts when really stressed, probably peaks around 260 watts if the 220 watt TDP is correct.

I fell into this exact hole when I built my sister's rig, didn't check motherboard beyond the socket. This is why I don't see the worth in AMD keeping sockets until they are stale.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

11 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

I fell into this exact hole when I built my sister's rig, didn't check motherboard beyond the socket. This is why I don't see the worth in AMD keeping sockets until they are stale.

The FX 9570 was really a last ditch attempt by AMD to keep the FX chips afloat as premium before being seen as factory overclocked FX 8370's, although I think they used a different silicon from like their server chips or something, not sure about that.

Yours faithfully

5 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The FX 9570 was really a last ditch attempt by AMD to keep the FX chips afloat as premium before being seen as factory overclocked FX 8370's, although I think they used a different silicon from like their server chips or something, not sure about that.

it's the same die , i can confirm that.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I believe the 9590s were heavily binned 8350s, then the 8320Es were heavily binned 8350s. You see where this is going?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I believe the 9590s were heavily binned 8350s, then the 8320Es were heavily binned 8350s. You see where this is going?

The E series was an UTTERLY failed attempt to make a low power FX SKU, and it continues to be the biggest joke AMD ever made. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The E series was an UTTERLY failed attempt to make a low power FX SKU, and it continues to be the biggest joke AMD ever made. 

Oh yeah. Hardly low power, but I've heard they actually overclock pretty well.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry completely forgot about this thread, I figured out it was my CPU socket overheating, with the boost clock at 5Ghz and its 8 cores it was overheating the socket even though I have one of the motherboards designed for this cpu. I put a fan kind of half ass mounted by balancing behind the socket and it runs fine now.