Recommendations for quiet ATX-case?

WereCatf

There are a billion different cases out there, but these days it's almost impossible to find any good recommendations for a quiet case, as the focus generally is on bling -- you know, flashy RGB and all that jazz. Me, I don't care about the looks and I don't give a flying fuck about RGB, either. I have a reasonably well-defined criteria for a case I am looking for, which I will list below in the hopes that it'd allow for someone to give me some good recommendations:

• RGB -- I don't care, the PC exists for using, not showing.
  • Manual fan-control -- I don't care, never seen the point; I want my fan-speeds to adjust automatically according to CPU/system-temperatures, not to have to manually fiddle with them all the time.
  • See-through side-panel -- No. A solid, opaque panel lets less noise through.
  • Air-cooling for high-end overclocked CPU (NH-D15S?), so must be able to maintain reasonable airflow while staying quiet.
  • Single-GPU system (GTX1080?), no need to be able to accommodate SLI-configurations.
  • Preferably with no optical drive bay -- I haven't used an optical drive in a decade and I don't plan to start now.
  • Quiet.
  • A couple of USB3.0-ports on the top/front would be a plus.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Where do you live?
What do you want to pay?
What components do you want to use?? (HDD!!)
What GPU, PSU and so on are you gonna be using?

Not a bad idea should be the Silent Base 600 from be quiet.

The Cooler Master Storm Trooper I have is rather holed and thus not that silent due to construction. But still a great case.

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 5B isn't something I can really recomend, although it's what you might want.

The Problem I have is bad design, especially I/O Area wich is only held by one rivet. That was also the reason I had to RMA the case..

Other cases I have are constructed way more robust in this area.

Another case I would NOT recommend is Anidees Ai6V2 due to bad manufacturing quality...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Fractal design define R5. Easy to build in, and comes in windowless models. Inside is all covered with sound dampening material, and has plenty of space for HDD expansion and fits an NH-D15 easily.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Where do you live?
What do you want to pay?
What components do you want to use?? (HDD!!)
What GPU, PSU and so on are you gonna be using?

Not a bad idea should be the Silent Base 600 from be quiet.

I'm not sure it matters that much where I live, but in Finland. As for how much I am willing to pay: I haven't decided any specific numbers, but I'm not looking to buy a budget case. Quality generally costs and I just have to accept that. What components: maybe an overclocked Ryzen or a i7 8700K -- haven't decided yet. Two HDDs for mass-storage and a couple of SSDs for OS and games.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

(no argument or discussion allowed :-))

xD

Why ATX if no SLI? I prefer mATX. Smaller, less flashy and cheaper. I use Fractal Design Define Define Mini C and it's great. Has good cooling support, not flashy, quite (there is version with no window and with sound dampening material and also top fan filter can be replaced with solid panel with dampening material if needed) and is a fair bit cheaper than an ATX case.

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I'm not sure it matters that much where I live, but in Finland. As for how much I am willing to pay: I haven't decided any specific numbers, but I'm not looking to buy a budget case. Quality generally costs and I just have to accept that. What components: maybe an overclocked Ryzen or a i7 8700K -- haven't decided yet. Two HDDs for mass-storage and a couple of SSDs for OS and games.

I've edited my post and added some other cases.

The Problem I have with the Silent Base 600 is that it only comes with one HDD cage and that it's a bit short. A centimetre or two would have made this a great case and even my Power Color RX480 Red Devil would hav fit without problem...

Besides that it's made well, no problems there. It's on the lighter side. That can be a problem, depending on the HDD/Fans. And how you screw the MoBo to the case is also something I don't like. But I change the Board/Case every couple of months....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, zwirek2201 said:

Why ATX if no SLI?

I like to leave myself the option to expand in the future, if I so decide.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I like to leave myself the option to expand in the future, if I so decide.

In what kind of direction? most micro ATX cases have support for SLI.

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

Define R5

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was looking through the recommendations you guys gave and I found one more case that was mentioned in relation to them that looks pretty nice and seems to fit the bill almost perfectly: the Corsair Carbide 600Q. I'll have to mull over the choices presented, but at least I now have a few cases to choose from, so thank you for the help.

Define S/Define C are newer revisions of the R5 without the ODD and huge amount of HDD bays

Usually Fractal Design and be quiet! are the two go-to brands for quiet cases in the $100 USD price range (not sure if you can get these in Finland but in euro's it might cost less depending on if you dont have to import)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25