Microsoft kills off Groove Music Pass, and stops selling music.

GoodBytes

good. Next Windows Store 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yes. Like Control Panel. They can't quite make up their mind to get rid of it, so they put half the settings in Settings, and the other half in CP. 

I like the concept of it, but it needs to be more customization, and also put in a system wide night mode toggle in there already. You have to hit 15 switches in settings to turn it all on atm.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 minute ago, shermantanker said:

I like the concept of it, but it needs to be more customization, and also put in a system wide night mode toggle in there already. You have to hit 15 switches in settings to turn it all on atm.

Yeah. But dark mode apps are awesome.... Like you said, needs to be system wide. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

55 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I honestly had never heard of it or knew it existed until I got Windows 10.

You never heard about Groove, which was introduced with Windows 10 and basically nobody talked about it because it was inferior to its predecessor?

Shocking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Are you kidding me!!!! Jesus pls no.

................. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I wanted to quit Spotify cos their Apps suck. I wanted to move to Groove. This is the worst possible outcome for me >:(......

Maybe I just need to stop paying for Music subscriptions until companies learn to make a compelling product worth paying for.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You never heard about Groove, which was introduced with Windows 10 and basically nobody talked about it because it was inferior to its predecessor?

Shocking.

I've been trying to quit Spotify for over a year but nothing except Groove seemed like a good option. I didn't start using Groove but was planning to and now this mess happens.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

snip

Also, OP you have a typo.

"60 months" should be "60 days".

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

0 I've been trying to quit Spotify for over a year but nothing except Groove seemed like a good option. I didn't start using Groove but was planning to and now this mess happens.

They're all shit. Radio or buying songs, far superior.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They're all shit. Radio or buying songs, far superior.

I might look into Radio and try and find other music streaming services.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I might look into Radio and try and find other music streaming services.

I'm not talking about an app. I'm talking about a device that operates on AM and/or FM bands.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I'm not talking about an app. I'm talking about a device that operates on AM and/or FM bands.

I ain't buying no dumb Radio device LMAO. 

41 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ew I have never touched this groove thingy, day one in a new windows 10 is set media player classic as default for every thing

The Groove app is a music player.

The were also selling Music and Music Passes (which is what is being discontinued). The app will still work but they won't sell music or music passes.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Hehe. My PC gets used for gaming an tinkering, listen to music on my phone and iPad. Though iTunes is a monster on windows. IMO, the best windows media player is Windows Media Player, but it can't play discs and stuff in Windows 10.

What are you talking about? Mine can play, read,burn CDs and DVDs and I'm on windows 10

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I ain't buying no dumb Radio device LMAO. 

Between good music, and the station I listen to, a good mix of new music and staples, and the second best radio show in the US, I ain't suggesting a shit streaming service that has playlists shorter than Peter Dinklage, being mostly comrpised of overplayed songs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, MeDownYou said:

What are you talking about? Mine can play, read,burn CDs and DVDs and I'm on windows 10

Huh. Didn't work for my dad when he first upgraded, maybe they fixed it now. (I don't actually have a DVD drive, so IDK). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

50 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

60 months free!? O.o

As mentioned previously. OP made a typo. 60 Days.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Huh. Didn't work for my dad when he first upgraded, maybe they fixed it now. (I don't actually have a DVD drive, so IDK). 

IDK what to tell ya man my 3210m laptop and my ryzen 1600 builds can both do it 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

53 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, not quite.  Sounds like:

• In the early days Groove had better selection, and even today has a different selection (could be good depending who you are)
  • Groove didn't mess with the PC's sleep and kill the battery

"In the early days" is not a selling point today. "We used to make the most efficient car" is not exactly a great selling point, right? So "used to have a better selection" is not one either.

Not sure what the different selection is so I don't really see it as a selling point. The problem with that wording is that it would hold true even if Spotify had 99.99% of all songs in the world, and Groove had nothing but the remaining 0.01%. Does that mean people should buy Groove? No.

As for the battery thing, it seems like it happened in one version several years ago because of a bug, which was fixed shortly after. So I don't think that's a compelling selling point either.

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I've been trying to quit Spotify for over a year but nothing except Groove seemed like a good option. I didn't start using Groove but was planning to and now this mess happens.

What about Google Music?

Edit:

Wait, people seriously use Windows Media Player? Are you people mentally insane or have you simply not heard of Foobar2000 yet?

Considering I only ever tried the app once and dropped it straight away since WMP does a better job.....never knew that music could be bought through it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

Paying for music < YouTube to mp3 downloader lol

Having proper releases of songs instead of butchered, reencoded MP3 versions > YouTube to mp3 downloader.

Just now, LAwLz said:

Having proper releases of songs instead of butchered, reencoded MP3 versions > YouTube to mp3 downloader.

*tips fedora

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

To help with the transition, Microsoft says that:

• Groove Music Pass subscribers will get 60 months free of Spotify Premium

That's a cool 5 years of spotify.  Sure you didn't mean 60 days?