HTC suspends trading of shares - possible Alphabet purchase?

linkboy

HTC suspends trading of shares for announcement tomorrow.

The Taiwanese smartphone and virtual reality headset manufacturer HTC will halt shares from Thursday, pending the “release of material information” following media reports of a purchase by Google’s parent, Alphabet.

The once-powerful smartphone market player, which started life as a manufacturer of other brands’ handsets and now makes the Vive VR headset, has seen sales fall year on year for the best part of half a decade as competition from Chinese and South Korean rivals increased.

It looks like Alphabet might be going through and buying HTC's phone manufacturing division. Google's been looking into becoming a hardware manufacture since taking more hands on approach with the development of the Pixel.

My question is this, are they buying HTC for the patents or are they buying HTC because they want to make hardware? Because they bought Motorola and they took the patents and kind sold off the company. I think Lenovo bought the phone half, ARRIS bought the modem half and Zoom leases the Motorola name for their "Higher end" modems. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

My question is this, are they buying HTC for the patents or are they buying HTC because they want to make hardware? Because they bought Motorola and they took the patents and kind sold off the company. I think Lenovo bought the phone half, ARRIS bought the modem half and Zoom leases the Motorola name for their "Higher end" modems. 

I think they're buying them for their manufacturing division. Unlike in 2011, Google's looking to get into phone manufacturing, especially with them having more input on the design of the pixel line in comparison to the Nexus phones.

Just now, linkboy said:

I think they're buying them for their manufacturing division. Unlike in 2011, Google's looking to get into phone manufacturing, especially with them having more input on the design of the pixel line in comparison to the Nexus phones.

I guess that would make sense. Google and HTC already had a relationship when it came to manufacturing. Maybe this can be a good thing, who knows. 

Just now, wcreek said:

Well then, I'm interested to see if Google actually keeps HTC or they fix it up and spin it off like they did to Motorola.

They really didnt fix Motorola. They stole all of the patents and sold it off. 

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Well then, I'm interested to see if Google actually keeps HTC or they fix it up and spin it off like they did to Motorola.

Google only wanted Motorola's patents. HTC is a different purchase.

Just now, Donut417 said:

They really didnt fix Motorola. They stole all of the patents and sold it off. 

Well yeah I suppose they did that too, but I mean for awhile there Motorola was pretty good. I mean they've still done pretty well under Lenovo but I think when it was headed by Google it was better. The Moto G2 and Moto X1 and X2

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Being bought by... valve?

New HTC 11, now with hl3-candy crush game bloatware.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Actually I personally bought HTC, I wasn't allowed to tell until now.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Alphabet is the company that "owns" Google.

Basically it only exists to avoid some legal bullshit.

Wow. That was a big surprise

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.