HP show us what a real PC workstation looks like with a 56-core, 3TB Z8

For more demanding computer users looking for more computing power, HP has rolled out their Z8 workstation PC. The latest HP workstation desktop PC features a pair of Xeon platinum 8180M chips that have 28c/56t and a massive 38.5MB of cache running at 2.5GHz (base clock) and 3.8GHz (turbo clock), it also supports up to 1.5TB of RAM. Since it has two processors, it raises the memory capacity to 3.0TB and the motherboard also features 24 RAM slots. This PC also packs X3 NVidia Quadro P6000 GPU's and if you want to go with AMD, then the Radeon pro WX 9100 is also another alternative if you prefer. It also includes 4 internal drive bays, two external drive bays except for the one which can be used for an optical drive and nine PCIE slots. Storage capacity options include up to 4TB of PCIE mounted SSD's and 48TB of mechanical spinning HDD's for mass storage. In terms of connectivity, it supports all your WIFI/Bluetooth connectivity’s (10gbps adaptors are available). Thunderbolt 3 is available only with an ad in card. It also has a 1.7KW PSU and prices start at $2,439 for the base configuration and the top end configuration will be expected to cost 20 times more. There is also the Z6 workstation variant that has a single socket packing a maximum of 28 cores, 384GB of RAM and 4TB of storage. The Z4 workstation uses the Xeon W processors and supports up to 256GB of RAM.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/hp-show-us-what-a-real-pc-workstation-looks-like-with-a-56-core-3tb-z8/

The airflow through the Z8 is very fancy.

Capture.PNG.d23fca5ccb6d007455358f3d490accf6.PNG

I wonder if the workstation is using the new WD gold HDD's for mass storage. I think Linus used X3 NVidia quadro P6000 GPU's in the 16K ultimate monitor build video.

surely those server style coolers will be loud as hell 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

didn't Linus have 4x P5000s?  Why doesn't this have room for 4 cards?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

so... can it run crisis? :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

so... can it run crisis? :P

About as well as a machine with a Titan Xp and a i7 6700 (non-k) most likely.  Well, the 3-way SLI might help but you get the idea.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

IMO this should be put into a 5U rack mounted server chassis because the 5U rack chassis are able to support a butt ton of high flow fans

also Custom builders area already building systems based on Epyc and they are dual socket as well

so its 64 cores vs Intel 56 cores and up to 4TB of RAM support on the Epyc vs 3TB

Radeon pro WX 9100 does sound nice with such a beast

A full blown 8 user One Server project will sound badass with 64 cores of goodness and each users gets 8 cores for workstation use.

Easier to manage just one server vs managing 8 workstations

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

How much RAM does Windows 10 Pro 64-bit supports? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

How much RAM does Windows 10 Pro 64-bit supports? 

It supports 512 Gb so half a terabyte

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

11 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

It supports 512 Gb so half a terabyte

Edit on my edit: newer articles suggest it's 2-4TB. Not very clear though, someone should test this

Just now, zberry7 said:

Actually I believe it's 2TB on 64 bit machines

Really? they might of changed it then. Last I remember it was 512.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

3 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

Edit: your right. That sucks lol

1 minute ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Really? they might of changed it then. Last I remember it was 512.

Don't forget the workstation edition, that might be higher.  And Server as well.  But then, Windows has never been good handling large amounts of hardware so I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower than most things

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Don't forget the workstation edition, that might be higher.  And Server as well.  But then, Windows has never been good handling large amounts of hardware so I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower than most things

Yeah if it is artificially limited then they probably reserve the privilege  to use all of your expensive ram for their more expensive OS. 64 bit machines SHOULd be able to address 4TBs of memory, but if they can make you pay to use what you already paid to buy then why the hell not

4 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

Yeah if it is artificially limited then they probably reserve the privilege  to use all of your expensive ram for their more expensive OS. 64 bit machines SHOULd be able to address 4TBs of memory, but if they can make you pay to use what you already paid to buy then why the hell not

Yeah, easily... if the 64 bit number was the only limitation, they could actually go up to 16 EB (over 16 million TB) but I think there might be other factors at play

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

About as well as a machine with a Titan Xp and a i7 6700 (non-k) most likely.  Well, the 3-way SLI might help but you get the idea.

i was just joking xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Neat, let's see if we can get one with 64c/128th with some Epycs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Neat, let's see if we can get one with 64c/128th with some Epycs

Supermicro has dual socket boards for Epyc and you can easily fit 6 GPUs into the board. 

Imagine a 8 user one server system will sound cool

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Supermicro has dual socket boards for Epyc and you can easily fit 6 GPUs into the board. 

32 gamers two CPUs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

32 gamers two CPUs

For LoL, Dota2 and Rocket League yea

BF1 and PUBG need 6 or 8 cores

if one thing i know is that VMs need fast SSDs

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

For LoL, Dota2 and Rocket League yea

BF1 and PUBG need 6 or 8 cores

if one thing i know is that VMs need fast SSDs

BF1 ran fine on 4 threads for me on my I5 4690K, but at 8 threads each you can get in 16 users still :D

Builds:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Yeah, but Supermicro...

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, easily... if the 64 bit number was the only limitation, they could actually go up to 16 EB (over 16 million TB) but I think there might be other factors at play

Interestingly 64 bit architectures don't actually use 64 bits when addressing memory. Not a number that's easy to find (who TF would ask) but it's called the address bus width. Which (besides physical of course) is one of the major factors. Funny how we're talking about having multiple TBs of memory when I'm still stuck with 16GB lol

On topic though: This is  an impressive beast. Although I'm curious as to how big it must be at its maxed out config (24 RAM slots???)

35 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yeah, but Supermicro...

whats wrong with Supermicro?