Is there any real difference between a "gaming" chair or an office chair

Mattco

I'm looking to get a new chair for my home pc in the next few months and i wanted to know is a "gaming" chair is as good as an office chair that id be spending the same amount of money on and be spending at least 2-5 hours most days.

Thanks for commenting and helping me

3 minutes ago, Mattco said:

I'm looking to get a new chair for my home pc in the next few months and i wanted to know is a "gaming" chair is as good as an office chair that id be spending the same amount of money on and be spending at least 2-5 hours most days.

Thanks for commenting and helping me

No, The only difference is that "gaming chairs" cost $200 more than an office chair and they are orange/ any other bright color. Remember most people who use office chairs sit in them for 8 hours a day. So they are plenty comfortable (assuming you get a decent chair, which will still be $200 cheaper than a gaming chair) 

1 minute ago, scighera2 said:

No, The only difference is that "gaming chairs" cost $200 more than an office chair and they are orange/ any other bright color.

I do sometime stream and i was thinking about a gaming chair, becuase if its about the same, it would be nicer to look at.

Just now, Mattco said:

I do sometime stream and i was thinking about a gaming chair, becuase if its about the same, it would be nicer to look at.

Black looks better than bright orange.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Black looks better than bright orange.

Thanks :P i was think for a black and another color accented 

1 minute ago, Mattco said:

I mean, if you really want bright colors go ahead, but you could always buy a normal chair and paint it green or whatever and save $200.

6 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

No, The only difference is that "gaming chairs" cost $200 more than an office chair and they are orange/ any other bright color. Remember most people who use office chairs sit in them for 8 hours a day. So they are plenty comfortable (assuming you get a decent chair, which will still be $200 cheaper than a gaming chair) 

massdrop has lots of nice chairs for 200-300 on sale all the time. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Yes gaming chairs are really uncomfortable while office chairs at least good ones are really really really comfortable.

Gaming chairs are just really bad chairs that someone decided to slap the word gaming on them and market them at gamers because they're really naive and will buy anything that has gaming in description. I'm not joking it's actually been proven fact. That's why on graphics cards these days you have the word gaming written on the box, even though that's the purpose of that card. Same with Gaming motherboards.

A gaming chair is just wanna be race car seat without any of the benefits of an actual racing seat. Are you going to be pulling Gs or want your butt to be comfortable?

Gaming seats were cool at first,  now they're a stale meme.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

massdrop has lots of nice chairs for 200-300 on sale all the time. 

200-300 on a chair is just dumb. Like, any good office chair only costs $50. Yeah a chair can be nice, but I would never buy a "gaming chair" for 3 reasons.

1. An office chair of the same quality will cost 25-50% of the cost.

2. I would't want anyone to know I was dumb enough to get scammed into buying a gaming chair.
3. The idea of a "gaming chair" is extremely cringe worthy. Like that's the kind of stuff I associate with 40 year old virgins.

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

A gaming chair is just wanna be race car seat without any of the benefits of an actual racing seat. Are you going to be pulling Gs or want your butt to be comfortable?

Gaming seats were cool at first,  now they're a stale meme.

Understandable, have a nice day.... im sorry for that

If you weigh 100+ kg look for an older chair that was made before PRC monopolised manufacturing. I have an old office chair that has outlasted so much Chinese crap. When I look at the specs on gaming chairs, I wouldnt buy one.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, scighera2 said:

200-300 on a chair is just dumb. Like, any good office chair only costs $50. Yeah a chair can be nice, but I would never buy a "gaming chair" for 3 reasons.

2. I would't want anyone to know I was dumb enough to get scammed into buying a gaming chair.
3. The idea of a "gaming chair" is extremely cringe worthy. Like that's the kind of stuff I associate with 40 year old virgins.

But there is also a difference in comfortablity with different prices

Just now, scighera2 said:

I went shopping for chairs a few month back and the only good ones that were comfortable (am 6'1'') were 200$+ tax. a few $ under what I payed for my arozzi chari

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The chair i have is an old good office chair my dad have me snd its in the shape of the gaming chairs, and i find it really comfortable. But i cant find the make of chair anymore. The main problem is the coushins are basically gone.

Just now, Mattco said:

But there is also a difference in comfortablity with different prices

Not when one is being advertised as "gaming." If you want comfort get an office chair that's the same price as a "gaming" chair and it will be 4 times better.

With gaming chairs you're paying a premium for the fact that they are orange.

2 minutes ago, scighera2 said:

Not when one is being advertised as "gaming." If you want comfort get an office chair that's the same price as a "gaming" chair and it will be 4 times better.

With gaming chairs you're paying a premium for the fact that they are orange.

That does seem true, if they can market to a specific demografic that will pay more, they will.

Just now, Mattco said:

That does seem true, if they can market to a specific demografic that will pay more, they will.

It's how marketing works. You can ask anyone here, a gaming chair is just an office chair with orange stripes and a much larger price tag.

Have 0 clue on office chairs, but for gaming chairs I see there are tons of features. Like rotating arm rest. Why would anyone need rotating arm rest? I don't know, maybe when you're bored, you can play with them as fidget spinners?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Have 0 clue on office chairs, but for gaming chairs I see there are tons of features. Like rotating arm rest. Why would anyone need rotating arm rest? I don't know, maybe when you're bored, you can play with them as fidget spinners?

I'm using an old (5 years maybe) office chair from Ikea that I got for less than $80 and it can lay flat, has a mesh back, rotating arm rests, lowing/raising armrests, can remove the arm rests.

Just now, scighera2 said:

I'm using an old (5 years maybe) office chair from Ikea that I got for less than $80 and it can lay flat, has a mesh back, rotating arm rests, lowing/raising armrests, can remove the arm rests.

I'm using a retro steel made chair from the 60s

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Not if anyone yells at you for getting RGB. Tell them to F off, cause RGB is good. RGB is Mother Nature approved.

8c63b672eaa91cf0a0f6f51953e4fd03.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

There's a wide range of chair designs and features in office chair land, for what it's worth, while most of the gaming chairs are full back going all the way up and including headrest. The gaming chairs thus cover something of a subset of the same space, while frequently having more aggressive design language and higher price tags for the quality. Not always or necessarily, I suppose.

It's not all a difference of quality, price, and styling, in the sense that office chairs designed for multiple users (not a personal chair but in a space where people come and sit in) might have quick or automatic adjusting that accommodates a range of users without much fuss, or some styles might be for those generally siting straight or leaning forward, etc. The gaming chairs kind of assume users will be lying back a lot, and many fold back almost flat, which is not what many office chairs are designed for or allow.

In any case, at the price of most gaming chairs, a used high-quality office chair is likely to last longer and provide better support and/or comfort. Some cheaper options may be acceptable or better for the money than the gaming chairs. That said, the feature set and design may not necessarily be the same. Depends on the model.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Mattco, very nice discussion let me share my experiences with you all guys. Well, there are pretty many differences in office and gaming chairs. The gaming chairs are mostly used to target gamers so the chairs are made to be used for a long gaming session. Usually, gamers spend up to 10 hours continuously. The best gaming chairs started from $400 and as so on. but in offices chair, they are mostly not comfortable. You can find office chairs for as low as $30 but they can also go over to $1000 as well depending on.