Google Details Plan To Distrust Symantec Certificates

aneil1998

On September 11th, 2017, Google has released a blog post about their plans on distrusting Symantec certificates.

On January 19, 2017, a public posting to the mozilla.dev.security.policy newsgroup drew attention to a series of questionable website authentication certificates issued by Symantec Corporation’s PKI.

Symantec’s PKI business, which operates a series of Certificate Authorities under various brand names, including Thawte, VeriSign, Equifax, GeoTrust, and RapidSSL, had issued numerous certificates that did not comply with the industry-developed CA/Browser Forum Baseline Requirements.

They also announced their intention to sell their PKI business to their competitor, Digicert.

Symantec announced the selection of DigiCert to run this independently-operated Managed Partner Infrastructure, as well as their intention to sell their PKI business to DigiCert in lieu of building a new trusted infrastructure.

Google also provided a timeline of relevant dates associated with this plan. Tom's Hardware did an amazing job of summarizing it. 

Starting with Chrome 66 (we’re now at version 61), the browser will remove trust in Symantec-issued certificates issued prior to June 1, 2016. Website operators that use Symantec certificates issued before that date should be looking to replace their certificates by April 2018, when Chrome 66 is expected to come out.

Starting with Chrome 62 (next version), the built-in DevTools will also warn operators of Symantec certificates that will be distrusted in Chrome 66.

After December 1, the new infrastructure managed by DigiCert will go into effect, and any new certificates issued by the old Symantec infrastructure will no longer be valid in Chrome.

By November 2018, Chrome 70 will come out and will completely remove trust in all Symantec certificates that have ever been issued.

Website operators can replace their old Symantec certificates with certificates from DigiCert from December 1 or from any other CA trusted by Google’s Chrome browser.

I personally hope that websites do update their certificates and make it public why they are doing it, so others will follow suit.

Sources:-

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-plan-distrust-symantec-certificates,35428.html

https://security.googleblog.com/2017/09/chromes-plan-to-distrust-symantec.html

Edit: Changed formatting

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

2 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

On September 11th, 2017, Google has released a blog post about their plans on distrusting Symantec certificates.

They also announced their intention to sell their PKI business to their competitor, Digicert.

Google also provided a timeline of relevant dates associated with this plan. Tom's Hardware did an amazing job of summarizing it. 

I personally hope that websites do update their certificates and make it public why they are doing it, so others will follow suit.

Sources:-

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-plan-distrust-symantec-certificates,35428.html

https://security.googleblog.com/2017/09/chromes-plan-to-distrust-symantec.html

I agree. any way who uses semantic??

1 minute ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

i personally used to use them in 2015 since other antiviruses always gave me other problems and i had trust in them. But when my license expired later that year, i moved to another antivirus

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

I haven't had a lot of experience with them in the last few years, but my early days with Norton were unforgettable.

If their certificates are even as half as bad as early 2000 Norton, good riddance. 

Anecdote: Norton decided that a brand new just opened CD was virus infested and blocked it in any possible way.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

You need to fix your formatting, FYI. 

Night Theme Exclusive :P

JK.....

It does need fixing though

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

24 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

You need to fix your formatting, FYI. 

15 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Night Theme Exclusive :P

JK.....

It does need fixing though

Should be fixed now. Thanks for telling me

Just now, aneil1998 said:

Should be fixed now. Thanks for telling me

that's a lovely shade that everyone will like

--

i used norton until 2015. :) 

NORTON 2008. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I haven't had a lot of experience with them in the last few years, but my early days with Norton were unforgettable.

If their certificates are even as half as bad as early 2000 Norton, good riddance. 

Anecdote: Norton decided that a brand new just opened CD was virus infested and blocked it in any possible way.

I had this happen years ago with firefox back when I had my good old Toshiba laptop. Had Norton running and anytime I went to launch any program nothing would load, firefox being the main one. It would magically be blocked and named a virus by Norton. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 hours ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

People use VeriSign to sign Exes and stuff for Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

Symantec*

And the answer is a lot of people. For example, Amazon uses a cert from them for their website.

Symantec is a huge company, and is used by many other companies.  However, my suspicion is they are discovering their services will eventually become obsolete.  Their certificates are used by massive providers but no doubt many people would rather go with different certificate providers for their websites, like Comodo and LetsEncrypt(for small sites) 

So, I think we can expect to see Symantec, and other giants like McAfee and Trend Micro to become more desperate as time continues.  We can even see this trend with Avast, which has become riddled with adware and useless utilities, so has Norton and McAfee which are paid products. 

While I worked for AVG, in the later years of 2013 even it was apparent they were starting reduction in demand, even if their share prices were going up. 

On 12/09/2017 at 0:41 AM, Bouzoo said:

Yah i lived with that, all the way until around 2013 when I got my own laptop... Literally every download it nuked, wanna play a multilayer game? Nope those are security holes to Norton. Want to open a .zip? Nooooo those are all Trojans, can't you see that? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016