Modded a pair of M50x to Open Back

AAJoe

Hey guys!

Thought you'd all get a kick out of a little video we put together turning the M50x into open back cans. The results aren't going to win any style awards, though it doesn't look terrible either.

Soundwise it works pretty well actually. I have trouble describing the sound change. A little less muddy, perhaps? I say if you own a pair you don't use and enjoy a little arts and crafts project it's certainly a fun way to see how changing the earcups impacts sounds. Or just watch and enjoy as we destroy these 160 dollar cans :)

(This video really has nothing to do with Antlion other than our social media guy wanted to do it and ... well, what the hell, we had a spare pair lying around collecting dust!)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

For these types of headphones the point is to be isolated. Openbacks aren't for me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Cool. I tried to do the opposite to some Grados. A lot harder to make opens closed than to make closeds open.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

9 minutes ago, spwath said:

Cool. I tried to do the opposite to some Grados. A lot harder to make opens closed than to make closeds open.

How did the closed KSC75's end up going?

4 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

How did the closed KSC75's end up going?

not good yet. I gave up when i ran out of materials, and kinda forgot about them t

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

18 hours ago, spwath said:

Even putting some tape on the back of my SR60s made them sound crap. xD

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Kek, who was sitting at work and thought "hmm wonder what to do today, oh I know make M50x's into open headphones".

I like the guy that thought of doing this. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 9/9/2017 at 9:24 PM, spwath said:

Tell that to the Monolith M560s

@Dackzy This is a direct result of a meeting we had the day before where I said "Lets do something outside the box to practice shooting video" :D 

Team skill building! We learned at LEAST one very valuable lesson: At timestamp 3:02 the mic actually got unplugged setting up the scene but nobody checked it, so we shot that whole sequence using the built in audio from the camera :)

WOOPS!

15 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

@Dackzy This is a direct result of a meeting we had the day before where I said "Lets do something outside the box to practice shooting video" :D 

Team skill building! We learned at LEAST one very valuable lesson: At timestamp 3:02 the mic actually got unplugged setting up the scene but nobody checked it, so we shot that whole sequence using the built in audio from the camera :)

WOOPS!

What a great place to work :D 

58 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Tell that to the Monolith M560s

those also suck

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Dackzy It actually is a great place to work, ignoring our unlimited vacation policy, getting paid to volunteer in the community, and 100% medical coverage, the folks here are just awesome too :)

9 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

@Dackzy It actually is a great place to work, ignoring our unlimited vacation policy, getting paid to volunteer in the community, and 100% medical coverage, the folks here are just awesome too :)

so uhm do you guys need a Dane that can work in the weekends? :D:D 

Like god damn that sounds nice

PM me a resume ;) We've got a few things that may need doing in your neck of the woods! (Bet you didn't expect that response, haha) - and if you're kidding... well, that offer is open to anyone really. Ideally someone who speaks fluent German, any Nordic language, Mandarin, Korean, or Japanese. ... or all of them I suppose if you happen to be some kind of language savant. 

6 hours ago, AAJoe said:

PM me a resume ;) We've got a few things that may need doing in your neck of the woods! (Bet you didn't expect that response, haha) - and if you're kidding... well, that offer is open to anyone really. Ideally someone who speaks fluent German, any Nordic language, Mandarin, Korean, or Japanese. ... or all of them I suppose if you happen to be some kind of language savant. 

Cool, I want to work for AA! I am in the US though. But kind of know German. And I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering with an Acoustics Concentration, so that's good. But I have only been going to college for 3 weeks...