European bosses aren't allowed to monitor employers without notice

Levisallanon

Apprently as a boss you have to be very carefull nowadays. Just stating in the rules that the use of a specific compagny asset is forbidden isn't enough anymore.

The case centred on the dispute between Bărbulescu and his employer after the latter read private messages he sent to his brother and fiancee from an online account he had been asked to set up for work purposes. The firm’s rules banned such use of online accounts.

The compagny set up this yahoo messenger account for him to talk to customers, but he also used it for some private conversation.

He said they were breached when his employer checked up on chat logs from his professional Yahoo Messenger account that included both his personal and private communications.

As a boss you should always inform your employers of the fact that their messages can be subject to monitoring.

The court found that Bărbulescu “had not been informed in advance of the extent and nature of his employer’s monitoring, or the possibility that the employer might have access to the actual contents of his messages”.

If you as a boss fail to do so the person in question can appeal to articel 8 of the European convention on human rights

“adequately protected Mr Bărbulescu’s right to respect for his private life and correspondence and that they had consequently failed to strike a fair balance between the interests at stake. There had therefore been a violation of article 8”

Probably this will cause a lot of compagnies to make their rules even stricter and have employers even sign more papers before they are allowed in their IT envirioment. Personally I don't know if this is a good development. On one hand it's good that pricacy still means something, but on the other hand this makes it even harder for bosses to make sure compagny assets aren't used for other stuff.

Source and complete article: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/sep/05/romanian-chat-messages-read-by-employer-had-privacy-breached-court-rules

Why would any thinking brained person assume a company messenger service for talking to customers is a good place to have private conversations, let alone think they would not be seen by the company?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

When I signed my contract I also agreed that activity on company PCs can be monitored without notice. Most companies actually have that as a clause in the contract, afaik

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why would any thinking brained person assume a company messenger service for talking to customers is a good place to have private conversations, let alone think they would not be seen by the company?

No offense but haven´t you seen that there are so many retards out there? Ok I get it that it is hard for them to rub their two brain cells together xD

It may be worth clarifying the region in the headline as that can and will vary significantly depending on the laws of the land.

Where I work, I have to annually reaffirm my understanding that I have agreed that any traffic over the work network may be monitored for any reason without any further notification. Basically, if I want to be sure it is private, don't use the work network. With the availability of mobile data, that is not much of a step.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

In this case it should probably go without saying, but at the same time it's a small effort to notify the employees and it can't hurt to have more information about privacy.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Well for example;
If the firewall is configured in a way you can't use any other communication and there is an emergency in the family you might consider using something like this to send private messages. I'm not sure if that was the case here tough.

4 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

When I signed my contract I also agreed that activity on company PCs can be monitored without notice. Most companies actually have that as a clause in the contract, afaik

Yup, a lot of them do. But from what I understood (don't have a source sorry :( ) if the contract only states it can monitor the activity on your compagny PC it might not extent to cloud based services. Say for example a compagny facebook account isn't stored at your compagny pc at all etc. If you have the passwords to use it and use this for private conversation will this fall in the scope of your contract or not?

3 minutes ago, porina said:

It may be worth clarifying the region in the headline as that can and will vary significantly depending on the laws of the land.

[...]

Put it in the tags but might be good to put in the title too indeed, will do.

Just now, Levisallanon said:

Yup, a lot of them do. But from what I understood (don't have a source sorry :( ) if the contract only states it can monitor the activity on your compagny PC it might not extent to cloud based services. Say for example a compagny facebook account isn't stored at your compagny pc at all etc. If you have the passwords to use it and use this for private conversation will this fall in the scope of your contract or not?

From memory (keep in mind I read the contract some 3 years ago), the article states that any and all activity can be monitored, including key logging, browsing history, services being used and so on.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I remember when I was in my apprenticeship that I disconnected my PC from the network just in case. I then installed a chess program. I did this of course when I was the last guy in the office this day :D

My Norwegian law, the boss would have to notify you for years....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This doesn't seem to be something new. It's expected really. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

Well for example;
If the firewall is configured in a way you can't use any other communication and there is an emergency in the family you might consider using something like this to send private messages. I'm not sure if that was the case here tough.

Regardless, this person was at work and wants to send private messages, either use the mobile or wait till your lunch break.  Assuming privacy while using a corporate messenger service designed to communicate with  the public is still moronic. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

Apprently as a boss you have to be very carefull nowadays. Just stating in the rules that the use of a specific compagny asset is forbidden isn't enough anymore.

Actually, it is enough. That is separate from whether a company has unlimited monitoring powers on its employees, and whether certain types of monitoring require explicit disclosure. If at all legal.

Just because your contract says you cannot do X (say, drink alcohol) during working hours it doesn't mean it is OK for them to tell you "hey, we saw you doing X with the cameras installed at every bathroom stall".

This case is not about whether the worker's behavior was or not in violation of the companies' rules, or whether or not they could penalize him for ir. It's only about which monitoring tools are legitimate and under which circumstances.

Probably this will cause a lot of compagnies to make their rules even stricter

I don't see why: stricter rules with equally poor enforcement are pointless. They only need to inform about monitoring tools whenever said tools may be in conflict with the employee's presumption of privacy.

and have employers even sign more papers before they are allowed in their IT envirioment.

That might be the case. Not a big deal, though.