Intel i7 4790k - Worth replacing?

So I've had a 4790k for just under 3 years, and I haven't noticed a single case of slowdown or bottleneck caused by the CPU. Not that I would expect this from a high-end CPU from 3 years ago, but with the many new offerings from both Intel and AMD, I'm wondering if there is a benefit to upgrading other than power efficiency improvements.

Basically, I'm looking at building a new system or upgrading my current one, and I would like to get a better motherboard - which means a new socket (joy :dry:). My question is then - what are the benefits to the new architecture that I may be missing (if any)? I would rather continue to use my current motherboard without the expense of replacing the CPU, if there are no benefits to be had.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

So I've had a 4790k for just under 3 years, and I haven't noticed a single case of slowdown or bottleneck caused by the CPU. Not that I would expect this from a high-end CPU from 3 years ago, but with the many new offerings from both Intel and AMD, I'm wondering if there is a benefit to upgrading other than power efficiency improvements.

Basically, I'm looking at building a new system or upgrading my current one, and I would like to get a better motherboard - which means a new socket (joy :dry:). My question is then - what are the benefits to the new architecture that I may be missing (if any)? I would rather continue to use my current motherboard without the expense of replacing the CPU, if there are no benefits to be had.

Thanks!

4790K is still pretty decent and do the job perfectly, no need to change cpu, you won't see big difference.

Keep it

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

As you can see, 4790k still deliver super good performance :P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I also have a 4790k I would say keep it for at least another generation. I see no reason to upgrade right now 

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

-snip-

4790K owner (also for just under three years)

I see no reason for me to upgrade yet. Probably not even for covfefe coffee lake (definitely not skylake or kabylake)

Only reason I'd consider upgrading would be if I needed more cores, in which case I'd consider Ryzen 7

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

As you can see, 4790k still deliver super good performance :P 

Wow! This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for - I can see slightly lower framerates on newer titles, but that's to be expected. I can see that upgrading my CPU would be a waste of money, at least for the time being.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

1 minute ago, Katie said:

Wow! This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for - I can see slightly lower framerates on newer titles, but that's to be expected. I can see that upgrading my CPU would be a waste of money, at least for the time being.

Thanks for the quick response. :)

upgrade to the ryzen 7 4790k is slow and old ;)

8 minutes ago, Katie said:

Thanks!

Personally I would say no unless your really doing CPU intensive tasks and it's becoming a hamper on performance. If you haven't already overclock it to get a little more out of it. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

4790K owner (also for just under three years)

I see no reason for me to upgrade yet. Probably not even for covfefe coffee lake (definitely not skylake or kabylake)

Only reason I'd consider upgrading would be if I needed more cores, in which case I'd consider Ryzen 7

Yeah, I should probably add that for me at least, this system is mostly for gaming. I hardly touch Premiere.

Ryzen does look very enticing in that regard though.

Just now, Katie said:

Yeah, I should probably add that for me at least, this system is mostly for gaming. I hardly touch Premiere.

Ryzen does look very enticing in that regard though.

I do "some" premier work, mostly on the side as a hobby for a "youtube channel", nothing serious by any means, and the 4790K does more than a good enough job at rendering in an acceptable time frame. If I was getting more serious into it, wanted to stream (which I might do one day) or for some reason my Company switched CAD programs to something more CPU multi threaded AND wanted me to have my own copy at home, thats when I'd consider the jump. (Right now streaming is the most likely reason but still very far off in the future)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

upgrade to the ryzen 7 4790k is slow and old ;)

This is stupid comment lol.. 4790k probably have better IPC than ryzen xD

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

I told u 

If I was to upgrade, Ryzen would be my choice for sure.

Though from the countless responses, it seems that it would offer little to no benefit for now.

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

I haven't noticed a single case of slowdown or bottleneck caused by the CPU

You basically answered yourself. There is no need and no power efficiency that would warrant a replacement of a cpu motherboard and ram.

1 minute ago, VenomZ_ said:

no Ryzen 7 is king fuk intel 

Again, stupid and immature comment

4 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

no Ryzen 7 is king fuk intel 

5 minutes ago, Katie said:

If I was to upgrade, Ryzen would be my choice for sure.

Though from the countless responses, it seems that it would offer little to no benefit for now.

Just now, gbergeron said:

I should probably clarify that I meant Threadripper. That is Ryzen, right?

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

I should probably clarify that I meant Threadripper. That is Ryzen, right?

Don't think threadripper will have better IPC or single core performance than ryzen so probably will be the same gaming performance.

Threadripper is more for workstation tasks

50 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

This is stupid comment lol.. 4790k probably have better IPC than ryzen xD

Roughly the same. Ryzen snipes the gap between Haswell and Broadwell. Haswell has a clockspeed advantage though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.