circumventing firewall restrictions at work?

snoopunit

now before everyone tells me "is it worth losing your job" blah blah blah, I get it. Normal people actually work at their jobs doing meaningful tasks and whatnot. MY job on the other hand, is incredibly boring and monotonous. On the off chance that I do actually have to do something, there's audible alarms telling me to do so. (Yes, I'm a security guard) Even my manager will goof off and watch youtube. Anyways, the company that I'm contracted to work with right now, has basically EVERYTHING locked down. Somehow, this forum managed to slip through the filters, I'm guessing because "forum" isn't directly in the name of the website, but the only websites available to me are news/weather sites, youtube, and facebook. Now there's only so many youtube videos to watch before I want to bang my head against the wall. Anyways, I'm able to run programs of a portable ssd that don't require installation (emulators/portable apps), BUT the one specific game that I want to play right now needs to connect to the internet (Runescape 3 NXT) Now I know what you're all thinking, and you don't need to say it. I know....

I'm almost at the point where i'm looking at hiding a video cable in the desk and plugging in my laptop with wireless accessories using one of the company PC's monitors, but I'm interested to know if there's a simpler way. All I need to do is make it not completely obvious that I'm playing a game. As long as It looks like i'm using the company PC, they pretty much don't give a shit what I'm actually doing, unless im neglecting something important. Does anyone have any better ideas I could try, that don't necessarily involve bypassing company restrictions?

1 minute ago, snoopunit said:

now before everyone tells me "is it worth losing your job" blah blah blah, I get it. Normal people actually work at their jobs doing meaningful tasks and whatnot. MY job on the other hand, is incredibly boring and monotonous. On the off chance that I do actually have to do something, there's audible alarms telling me to do so. (Yes, I'm a security guard) Even my manager will goof off and watch youtube. Anyways, the company that I'm contracted to work with right now, has basically EVERYTHING locked down. Somehow, this forum managed to slip through the filters, I'm guessing because "forum" isn't directly in the name of the website, but the only websites available to me are news/weather sites, youtube, and facebook. Now there's only so many youtube videos to watch before I want to bang my head against the wall. Anyways, I'm able to run programs of a portable ssd that don't require installation (emulators/portable apps), BUT the one specific game that I want to play right now needs to connect to the internet (Runescape 3 NXT) Now I know what you're all thinking, and you don't need to say it. I know....

I'm almost at the point where i'm looking at hiding a video cable in the desk and plugging in my laptop with wireless accessories using one of the company PC's monitors, but I'm interested to know if there's a simpler way. All I need to do is make it not completely obvious that I'm playing a game. As long as It looks like i'm using the company PC, they pretty much don't give a shit what I'm actually doing, unless im neglecting something important. Does anyone have any better ideas I could try, that don't necessarily involve bypassing company restrictions?

• Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

1 minute ago, MrKickkiller said:

• Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

um... so what part of my post did I discuss piracy at all? It's not monitoring/tracking software either. Just firewalls. If i'm not welcome, then I'll leave

5 minutes ago, snoopunit said:

um... so what part of my post did I discuss piracy at all? It's not monitoring/tracking software either. Just firewalls. If i'm not welcome, then I'll leave

You are welcome!
It's just that circumventing a company's security policy is about equal to helping them get access to some restricted content (like what many Torrents nowadays do). People have set rules for your and their protection. In many legal documents and terms of service you gotta read in between the lines. LTT just doesn't want this forum to become a festing ground for the latest new stolen and cracked software with 50 different malware trackers in it! 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

6 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

Dude, what the hell? He's not talking about piracy at all.

@snoopunit, no way I can think of without risking your job. On a company PC, always assume that you're being monitored, and anything you do/program you run is being recorded. Circumventing firewall restrictions would certainly show up.

Now, with the disclaimer that you might get fired for doing what I'm about to suggest, have you considered picking up something like a NUC, Beebox or Zbox with a CPU that has decent integrated graphics (bonus points for an A8 or A10 if such a thing exists) and hooking that into the monitor? Assuming there's no camera behind you, your employer would likely never know unless they're monitoring all internet traffic.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

i'm not looking for stolen or pirate software. TBH i'm not even looking to circumvent the restrictions set in place. I would rather use my own machine on an outside network, But I can't seem to find a good solution for doing so.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Re-read the final sentence in that quote from the community standards.

Just now, aisle9 said:

@snoopunit, no way I can think of without risking your job. On a company PC, always assume that you're being monitored, and anything you do/program you run is being recorded. Circumventing firewall restrictions would certainly show up.

Now, with the disclaimer that you might get fired for doing what I'm about to suggest, have you considered picking up something like a NUC, Beebox or Zbox with a CPU that has decent integrated graphics (bonus points for an A8 or A10 if such a thing exists) and hooking that into the monitor? Assuming there's no camera behind you, your employer would likely never know unless they're monitoring all internet traffic.

well there actually is a camera pointed directly at me, which Is why I need a solution that at least makes it look like im using the company pc. I'll probably end up grabbing a video cable adapter to plug into the monitor and hide my laptop underneath the desk. just seems like an expensive solution.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

VPN is out of question?

This was my original idea, but i'm not sure If I would be able to use the VPN software on the work PC. Unless it's a true portable app, I'll probably be blocked from installing it altogether.

Just now, snoopunit said:

This was my original idea, but i'm not sure If I would be able to use the VPN software on the work PC. Unless it's a true portable app, I'll probably be blocked from installing it altogether.

could you use a chrome, Firefox, or opera just for the browser that will at least allow you to watch YouTube and look at social media but not system level.

There's a lot of provider supporting VPN over Port 443, and also most if not all, the software usally also able to run in portable devices.

Just for test, can you install Opera? it has VPN build in, try to use it.

Just now, Ryois said:

could you use a chrome, Firefox, or opera just for the browser that will at least allow you to watch YouTube and look at social media but not system level.

not sure what you're asking about exactly, but those sites aren't filtered. I can access them on any browser/pc that i'm logged into. however, just about everything else is blocked including reddit and anything to do with games/forums. as I said before, I'm quite surprised this site made it through the filters.

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

There's a lot of provider supporting VPN over Port 443, and also most if not all, the software usally also able to run in portable devices.

Just for test, can you install Opera? it has VPN build in, try to use it.

I will test, thanks

Just now, snoopunit said:

not sure what you're asking about exactly, but those sites aren't filtered. I can access them on any browser/pc that i'm logged into. however, just about everything else is blocked including reddit and anything to do with games/forums. as I said before, I'm quite surprised this site made it through the filters.

i use windscribe and they have a chrome and more browser extensions I been able to download them @ school

I would see if what you want to do also requires a constant stream of data. If you're IT department is halfway decent, they'll notice an unusual amount of network traffic on one of the computers and may go investigate. It doesn't probably matter if you're on a VPN or not, since it has to go through the company network anyway.

There was an incident at where I work where they found someone running a Bittorrent server on our network and they narrowed it down to the cubical bay it was coming from.

Locked.

As some have mentioned, helping others circumventing work or school security measures, including blocked sites, isn't something we allow.

Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !