Sony Loses Class Action Lawsuit on the waterproofness of their Z series phones/tablets

Mr.Meerkat

Well looks like Sony's getting bitten in the ass by misleading advertisement by advertising phones as "waterproof" however due to the nature of how the seals and mechanism works, its closer to "water-resistant".

The lawsuit alleges that Xperia owners were misled by Sony’s marketing verbiage, as the devices aren’t designed for underwater use and are more on the water-resistant level of protection. The class action seeks a 12-month warranty extension for recently purchased devices, or a reimbursement of up to 50 percent off the affected device’s suggested retail price. However, this may not be the final value the company is liable to refund. Sony will still need to settle with the court again on December 1st and agree on final terms, so the figures may change depending on how aggressively Sony fights back.

Warranty extension for up to 6 months if the device is no longer under warranty

The lawsuit is also calling for Sony to make changes to its packing, labelling and advertising. 

Devices included in the class action include the Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z3 Tablet, Compact Xperia Z4 Tablet, Xperia M2 Aqua, Xperia M4 Aqua, Xperia ZR Xperia Z Ultra Xperia Z1, Z1s, Z1 Compact Xperia Z2 Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact, Xperia Z3v, Xperia Z3+, Xperia Z3+ Dual, Xperia Z5, and the Xperia Z5 Compact.

Here is the list of affected devices/how much you may get refunded (sorry for how its slightly highlighted...)

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.9d18424a8faf25f69a96e257a22e564a.PNG

(sourced:  http://www.xperiawaterproofsettlement.com/DocumentHandler.ashx?DocPath=/Documents/Manfacturer_s_Suggested_Retail_Price_MSRP_at_Issue.pdf )

I guess this specifically affects Z series owners such as me! Oh wait...

The class action only applies to customers in the United States

Well I guess RIP everyone that's not in the US then...however, if you are in the US, you may get more warranty/"free" money! :D 

Anyway, my thoughts and reaction on this is well...how to put it..."huh?". I've seen the threads and what not complaining about the waterproofing of sony phones however as mentioned before, I have a Z3 compact (which I've owned for 2.5 years) and well apart from getting the plagued headphone port which was promptly repaired by Sony under warranty, I've had no problems with its waterproofing. Granted, I have changed the top flap/seal/cover on my Z3C however that was only due to the seal being so worn out, it wouldn't even close properly. Its been in a pool about 6 times, been in the shower 500+ times, been washed in the sink countless of times (as I seem to love dropping it in mud...I had once dropped it 3m into mud xD), in other words, its been dashed with a little bit of water and well its still here, playing music so in my experience the waterproofing for my particular Z3C seems to be fine.

To be fair, I would not have complained about a free warranty extension or free money but too bad its limited to the US only ;-;

Sources:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3016081/sony-slapped-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-phony-waterproof-claims

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16186052/sony-xperia-class-action-lawsuit-refunds-waterproof-claims

https://www.xda-developers.com/sony-lawsuit-waterproof-xperia-z/

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

anything's waterproof if you put it in a ziplock bag or two first. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I don't understand why electronic manufacturer makes claim their product to be waterproof.

I understand if they claim it's a bit durable from water splash or just say it what is is, water resistant.

But waterproof? even waterproof Pump for fish can be failed inside water.

3 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

I don't understand why electronic manufacturer makes claim their product to be waterproof.

I understand if they claim it's a bit durable from water splash or just say it what is is, water resistant.

But waterproof? even waterproof Pump for fish can be failed inside water.

Well to be fair, if an electronic device is able to be submerged fully and not die, I'd say its waterproof for the simple fact that IP ratings are just like the ratings on a waterproof jacket, its only "water-resistant" to a certain point :P 

I mean a waterproof jacket has "waterproof" in its name...although its clearly not "waterproof"...

Sonys own damn fault. It doesn't matter how robust the IP rating is, its a consumer good and a phone; and most consumers are STUPID. They will test your limits intentionally or otherwise. 

My 7+ has successfully survived 5 foot deep pools AND salty oceans. Do I seriously think Id be covered if it went wrong? Nope. Its peace of mind, or for idiots like me it lets me do a little bit more. The days I sincerely think I need it near open water, I shove it into a Lifeproof case, or just get my actual waterproof camera rig with me. And even those multi thousand dollar rigs for DSLRs can go hilariously wrong; I just don't get why Sony would even advertise any aspect of the water'proof' nature of their devices. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

Not surprised. I have seen a number of post on reddit anput some z3 phones with water damage inside. Its hard for me to still vouche for sony but they are the only ones making compact high end phones...

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Not surprised. I have seen a number of post on reddit anput some z3 phones with water damage inside. Its hard for me to still vouche for sony but they are the only ones making compact high end phones...

Says who? :D 

Last "high-end" compact phone made by Sony is the Z5C which is considered old AF by now...

And yes, the X compact doesn't count however the XZ1 compact may say otherwise...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Says who? :D 

Last "high-end" compact phone made by Sony is the Z5C which is considered old AF by now...

And yes, the X compact doesn't count however the XZ1 may say otherwise...

I have the x compact. I think it counts =[ 

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

I have the x compact. I think it counts =[ 

Sorry, with a S650 and not a S8xx SOC, I can't let it count :/ 

I mean "high-end" in my book is basically anything with flagship specs there it must have a S8xx chip of some sort...sorry 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Sorry, with a S650 and not a S8xx SOC, I can't let it count :/ 

I mean "high-end" in my book is basically anything with flagship specs there it must have a S8xx chip of some sort...sorry 

Fair enough. I think close enough. I was disappointed that it wasnt a S8x chip. Maybe I faked myself out aha

Waterproof is not Water resistant (which is what all phones are, when QA worked well lol) after all :P, but oddly enough many people that review phones keep saying "waterproofing" even tough that is completely misleading to consumers who are watching the review and think they can do the same with the Apple Watch Series 2 or the recently announced Gear Fit 2 Pro which go up to 50M.

Too bad, I really liked their product placement in Avril Lavigne's Rock-n-Roll

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

So my Dads Z3 he brought underwater and killed almost three years ago?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Can we now get rid of all the "waterproof" nonsense in electronics' marketing?

Well...I guess this is my opinion on it...

29 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well to be fair, if an electronic device is able to be submerged fully and not die, I'd say its waterproof for the simple fact that IP ratings are just like the ratings on a waterproof jacket, its only "water-resistant" to a certain point :P 

I mean a waterproof jacket has "waterproof" in its name...although its clearly not "waterproof"...

Yes, no electronics will really ever be waterproof without having to rely on things that could fail (such as seals) however I think the problem isn't just marketing for electronics specifically but marketing for everything.

23 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

I just don't get why Sony would even advertise any aspect of the water'proof' nature of their devices. 

As you've said, its for both a peace of mind and for people to do stupid things with it and it works so they do it I guess...

2 minutes ago, Goku-sama said:

Waterproof is not Water resistant (which is what all phones are, when QA worked well lol) after all :P, but oddly enough many people that review phones keep saying "waterproofing" even tough that is completely misleading to consumers who are watching the review and think they can do the same with the Apple Watch Series 2 or the recently announced Gear Fit 2 Pro which go up to 50M.

Thing is, some people uses those two words interchangeable and nothing is ever waterproof as they are only ever "water-resistant" to a certain degree. Take my waterproof jacket example from above, although it has "waterproof" in its name, its clearly only "water-resistant" so...the problems isn't just limited to specific companies/people. 

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

So my Dads Z3 he brought underwater and killed almost three years ago?

Yep :D 

May as well sign up and hope he could maybe get a bit of compensation...I mean 50% of its MSRP is actually quite a lot...

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

May as well sign up and hope he could maybe get a bit of compensation...I mean 50% of its MSRP is actually quite a lot...

How are they validating? by serial number? Quick, how much are the broke ones going for on ebay?

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Just now, dtaflorida said:

How are they validating? by serial number? Quick, how much are the broke ones going for on ebay?

No idea, you'd probably want to do a little research into it however when I RMAed my Z3C, they went by the date my Z3C compact on sold on their system (i.e. serial number) rather than asking for a POP so...maybe it would work? :D 

As it turns out, you either have have submitted a water damage claim in the past, or file one now. In any case it only applies to warranty claims that were denied. And warranty coverage was only for 1 year anyways. The impact of this lawsuit is gonna be tiny. And the future impact will only be to accept more phones for warranty service really. 

On the other hand, it sets a nice precedent where all water damaged phones must be repaired under warranty if it was claimed waterproof.

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I guess this specifically affects Z series owners such as me! Oh wait...

Well I guess RIP everyone that's not in the US then...however, if you are in the US, you may get more warranty/"free" money! :D 

Gah!!!!! I live in Canada and have an M4 Aqua.... :( Found out the hard way how weak a phone it is. I want money too!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Make revisions of packaging on phones they no longer make/sell? Sure okay no problems. :D

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Make revisions of packaging on phones they no longer make/sell? Sure okay no problems. :D

Oh yeah...didn't think about that xD 

However I'm pretty this probably includes new devices as well so...

On the topic of other phones;  I'd argue that water resistant actually gives you a less accurate impression of the capability of most phones than water proof.

I know technically water proof is not achieved by phones but to the average consumer I'd say water resistant gives them the impression of "can survive a light rain'....

Maybe a term somewhere in the middle would be more appropriate.

love these kinds of lawsuits against major companies , they get too cocky with competitive advertisements & don't think of the product from consumers perspectives .

Details separate people.