SNES Classic sold everywhere except in Quebec, Canada

GoodBytes
15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How would "SNES Classic" even translate to French in a proper manner?

La console de jeux interactive "SNES Classic"

or if you don't know French, it would be:

The interactive video gaming console "SNES Classic"

<Description><Name in English> is accepted for company names, and I think product names as well.

34 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

So the reason why Quebec isn't receiving this product is simply because the packaging isnt written in French. Considering that quebec is a bi-language province, why cant they just include two different languages on the packaging (English and French).

Quebec isn't actually bilingual. the english residents are merely tolerated from my experience. New Brunswick is the officially bilingual province (the only one).

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

In reality the culture is very strong. But it is more insecurity than anything. I mean other region in Canada that speaks in French, which are a fraction of the size of Quebec, aren't affects by this, and have a fine culture. In Europe, this is no problem either with French culture, in fact having other languages has evolved their cultures, while the one in Quebec isn't moving since this law (amongst others).

Well, that's a little unfair.  They were all French citizens at one point and then one day become British citizens and subjects of the British Monarchy because Napoleon lost a war an ocean away.  From then on these former French citizens were ruled by the English and by an English government and an English monarch.  The Provence is surrounded by English on all sides, including from The United States in the South, with a tremendous amount of culture oozing in from all sides.  That would be a a real and inherent threat to their cultural identity.

20 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

It's not, the people are tired of that bs from the government because they are the only one still salty about that

I don't think so. Montreal (which is a nice chunk of the Quebec population (for others reading)), doesn't want this B.S, but the rest of the province they are afraid, although the newer generation seems to not care anymore. The problem is that if a government touches the topic, any government, it is really bad. And the Liberal party (currently in power, and most of the time, as they are no real choice) don't want to even look at it, because they don't want the separatism movement to come back again. That movement has destroyed Quebec economies so bad that the province still affected by this, and that has been about 22 years.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, that's a little unfair.  They were all French citizens at one point and then one day become British citizens and subjects of the British Monarchy because Napoleon lost a war an ocean away.  From then on these former French citizens were ruled by the English and by an English government and an English monarch.  The Provence is surrounded by English on all sides, including from The United States in the South, with a tremendous amount of culture oozing in from all sides.  That would be a a real inherent threat to their cultural identity.

You swapped from using British, to saying English... you should've still used British.

You'd think that over 200 years later the British and French would be better really at getting along and not bringing up the old wars etc... especially when it's affecting business dealings too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Do you live in Quebec? If so what is your reaction to this news?If you don't live there, but assuming this law is in your region and so the console is not available in your area, what do you think?

I don't know a lot about Canada or Quebec but I think their poutine is the best. xD Oui?

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think so. Montreal (which is a nice chunk of the Quebec population (for others reading)), doesn't want this B.S, but the rest of the province they are afraid, although the newer generation seems to not care anymore. The problem is that if a government touches the topic, any government, it is really bad. And the Liberal party (currently in power, and most of the time, as they are no real choice) don't want to even look at it, because they don't want the separatism movement to come back again. That movement has destroyed Quebec economies so bad that the province still affected by this, and that has been about 22 years.

I am one of those from the younger generation, and I lived up there until 2008, but I still follow what's happening and I visit there once or twice a year (for my family) and the region I come from (Lanaudiere, maybe you're familiar with it @GoodBytes)(For the rest of people, it's about an hour up north of Montreal, 2 hours south-west of Quebec city) and we're not preoccupied with it, and we understand that being bilingual is essential for anyone who thinks about visiting somewhere else than the province. Though we do still care to be served in French.

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

16 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, no, with Bill 101 being passed in Quebec in 1977 and the law is doing the same with it has since 1977 with no major challenges.  It's not a 'slope' in any way or form, it's a pretty flat plane in fact.  You've just calling this a 'Slippery Slope' because your an outsider and you have no knowledge of this prior to today.  Look up the 'Apostrophe War' of the 1970's and 1980's if you want a better frame of reference.

it is slippery though. something desirable has been blocked for sale in canada because of a LAW. Laws are slippery, and unanticipated consequences is the slope. I knew about the requirement, but didn't think it was so stone like.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

it is slippery though. something desirable has been blocked for sale in canada because of a LAW. Laws are slippery, and unanticipated consequences is the slope. I knew about the requirement, but didn't think it was so stone like.

...Exactly how is that SLIPPERY?  A 'Slippery Slope' means that once one thing happens, then it leads to another thing and another.  The law was ALWAYS intended to do this and has done what it's doing.  You're using that word wrong.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

...Exactly how is that SLIPPERY?  A 'Slippery Slope' means that once one thing happens, then it leads to another thing and another.  The law was ALWAYS intended to do this and has done what it's doing.  You're using that word wrong.

so it's intended to make everyone in canada suffer on account of protecting one micro-culture in canada.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

so it's intended to make everyone in canada suffer on account of protecting one micro-culture in canada.

1. Quebec isn't really a "micro culture" as it's the second biggest province

2. This only affects Quebec

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

It literally says 'Quebec' in the first post. This in no way effects 'Everyone In Canada'.

How about we instead discuss the slippery slop of declining reading comprehension skills in the United States? :/

8 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Not really. Even if the law disappears, nothing would change, because companies have learned that providing packaging in all languages of a country, is actually beneficial for the company image. So, if the law wasn't there, the discussion would be: "Nintendo is ignoring the French in Canada!" (of course, no one here would care, but if we were a French forum, then yes). But the difference is that you can still buy it. :)

You notice that in the US, you sometimes have packages that have English and Spanish packaging, as Spanish is almost an official language in the US if trend continues.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Not really. Even if the law disappears, nothing would change, because companies have learned that providing packaging in all languages of a country, is actually beneficial for the company image. So, if the law wasn't there, the discussion would be: "Nintendo is ignoring the French in Canada!" (of course, no one here would care, but if we were a French forum, then yes). But the difference is that you can still buy it. :)

You notice that in the US, you sometimes have packages that have English and Spanish packaging, as Spanish is almost an official language in the US if trend continues.

This probably wouldn't even be a problem if the SNES didn't have a unique European design and SKU.  These days most consumer electronics have upwards to 10 languages on the box to allow it to be sold anywhere.  At most they region specific SKU needs a different plug for specific outlets and firmware included but they just slap a sticker on the otherwise multi-national packaging to indicate which country it's destined for.  At the very least, I don't think I've bought many consumer electronics that didn't cover English, Spanish and French in one box.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It literally says 'Quebec' in the first post. This in no way effects 'Everyone In Canada'.

How about we instead discuss the slippery slop of declining reading comprehension skills in the United States? :/

I have misunderstood the article. I thought since it couldn't be sold in Quebec because the law requires french on the packaging (and perhaps other places? Content perhaps?) that it couldn't be sold anywhere in Canada. I'm so used to such laws affecting people of the entire country, not specific provinces. This is like inverted Federalism.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I have misunderstood the article. I thought since it couldn't be sold in Quebec because the law requires french on the packaging (and perhaps other places? Content perhaps?) that it couldn't be sold anywhere in Canada. I'm so used to such laws affecting people of the entire country, not specific provinces. This is like inverted Federalism.

...So you're an American... But the idea of 'State/Provincial Laws' is somehow alien to you... Despite the fact that The United States is SIGNIFIGANTLY less federalized than Canada, to the point that every state has it's own set of criminal laws even...

You're kidding me, right?

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

It is inverted Federalism... This goes back to the time where Canada was still under the British power, when laws conflicted between the Federal and Provincial level, they'd go in the british supreme court, and most of the time, the province would win... And it makes sense since many things are region specific.... Many laws that would apply in the west would make to sense to the east, and vice versa

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

...So you're an American... But the idea of 'State/Provincial Laws' is somehow alien to you... Despite the fact that The United States is SIGNIFIGANTLY less federalized than Canada, to the point that every state has it's own set of criminal laws even...

oh no, i am intimately familiar with how federalism works, and it is very sad to see that we don't have more of it in the United states. We have more laws coming from our federal government that should be left to the states, and we have states that are enacting laws that are very much left to the federal government to enact and enforce. Yet here we are, inverted federalism.

System specs:

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

What's your favorite SNES game?

6 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

oh no, i am intimately familiar with how federalism works, and it is very sad to see that we don't have more of it in the United states. We have more laws coming from our federal government that should be left to the states, and we have states that are enacting laws that are very much left to the federal government to enact and enforce. Yet here we are, inverted federalism.

Yea so here, Canada is 150 years old. You can see it as a regroupement of countries. They are laws that reflect all provinces and those are federal, others are provincial as they affect that region. Technically, a province can have, like in the US, privatized for-profit health care if they want. It is not a Canada thing, but the government of Canada influence its creation and support, and fits in the social mentality of all Canadians. But each province has its own system. Things might be covered by the healthcare system in one province but not in the other. And health care quality and speed varies a lot from one province to another (even region).

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How would "SNES Classic" even translate to French in a proper manner?

What @GoodBytes said is likely the "proper" method, but a literal direct translation would be something like:

Supernintendo système de divertissement classique

Super in french is still super. Nintendo isn't an English (or French) word so there's no direct translation for that. Systme de divertissement classique literally means "Entertainment System Classic".

As an acronym, I'm not really familiar with how french does them (and what words would be included), but it might be "SNSDD Classique" or perhaps shortened to "SNSD Classique".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

-snip-

Mmmmm PFK... so good.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)