Upgrading from i7 4790k. Recommendations

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my current mobo and cpu. I currently have an asus maximus 6 formula mobo and an i7 4790k cpu. 

I have a budget of £1000 give or take for both.

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, shortfuse001 said:

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my current mobo and cpu. I currently have an asus maximus 6 formula mobo and an i7 4790k cpu. 

Thanks in advance

amd or intel?

Just now, TinyBolts said:

amd or intel?

I'm happy to consider both. 

1 minute ago, TinyBolts said:

gaming or what? Videos?

gaming would be intel and little less gaming and more of the other stuff with amd.

Why are you upgrading?

the 4790K is still a beast.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Why are you upgrading?

the 4790K is still a beast.

it is good, idk why he wants to upgrade either, but the i9 stuff and threadripper came out, so maybe he wants that.

Just now, TinyBolts said:

it is good, idk why he wants to upgrade either, but the i9 stuff and threadripper came out, so maybe he wants that.

oh crap I was writing, just saw that lel 

first off, the I7 4790K is still an amazing CPU for games, so unless you need cores just get more GPU power. secondly wait like 20h for Intel to announce Coffee Lake lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, shortfuse001 said:

I'm happy to consider both. 

you could get the best ryzen(not threadripper), Ryzen 7 1800x and an Asrock x370 Professional Gaming, would work very good, gaming and productivity, put other money in cooler or smth other that will be useful.

If you already have the 4790K, there is little reason to want to move to the 6700K or 7700K, or anything Ryzen with 6 cores or less (an OC will give the 4790K the advantage in almost every task).

That said, the 8700K wouldn't be a bad upgrade when that comes out, as it'll have 6C/12T and overclock similarly to what you already have. You've also got X99's 5930K if you need/want 6 cores and 40 PCIe lanes, X299's 7800X if you need/want 6 cores and AVX512 (important mostly for content creation, scientific analysis, and number crunching).

I wouldn't recommend Threadripper in any capacity, unless you just want the PCIe lanes. I wouldn't recommend Ryzen 7 unless you're streaming games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

first off, the I7 4790K is still an amazing CPU for games, so unless you need cores just get more GPU power. secondly wait like 20h for Intel to announce Coffee Lake lol

ye, coffee lake says to be 11% faster

1 minute ago, TinyBolts said:

mainly more cores at the same clocks for your money so just straight up better value then Kabylake

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

mainly more cores at the same clocks for your money so just straight up better value then Kabylake

hopefully it will be good, because I'm thinking for building a pc too, might use that, hopefully it doesn't go like the vega launch, although the coffee lake isn't hyped that much.

I'm about to upgrade my i5-4690k to the i7-4790K its that good of a cpu that no realy point in me doing a full system upgrade the price:performance just isn't there. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

i7 8700k even so the i7 4790k is no sloth.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

37 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I'm about to upgrade my i5-4690k to the i7-4790K its that good of a cpu that no realy point in me doing a full system upgrade the price:performance just isn't there. 

But the 4690k and 4790k are still very high priced. I wanted to upgrade my g3258 to a 4690k, but it was more expensive than the 7600k.... I sold my whole right and bought a new one, let's call it last gen, with like 150E more.

No doubt, very good CPUs, the 4790k should last you long.

MSI Z270 SLI PLUS - 7600k 5.1GHz - Corsair LPX 3000MHz - G1 Gaming GTX1060 - Arctic LiquidFreezer 240 - Crucial m.2 275GB - WD 1TB - EVGA B3 750W - Segotep Lux - LG 34UC79 Curved - Redragon Yama - Redragon Hydra - Gigabyte WIFI 

Sound is provided by a Pioneer Amp from the 70s - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, lsstefan said:

But the 4690k and 4790k are still very high priced. I wanted to upgrade my g3258 to a 4690k, but it was more expensive than the 7600k.... I sold my whole right and bought a new one, let's call it last gen, with like 150E more.

No doubt, very good CPUs, the 4790k should last you long.

I'll have to have a look at prices a bit closer, but its more so going from a really nice MSI motherboard and high spec DDR3 ram that upgrading I won't be able to grab the same quality of stuff, where as selling the i5 and buying just a Tray i7 I can prob get it for an ok price for a very solid upgrade. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 hours ago, TinyBolts said:

As Luke said in the latest WAN show, "That is a whole 1% faster than I expected." xD

I upgraded to a 4790K a few months ago.  It's an awesome CPU.  New alternatives are barely better, especially if you're looking at gaming.  Ryzen beats it in content creation, but it also beats the 7700K.  In gaming, they're practically identical.

You might want to mute the sound on this video, as they always use loud annoying music for them, but this should give you an idea of performance differences:

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 hours ago, shortfuse001 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

4790k still good enough for a 1080 ti so... keep it :) 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

8 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

I'll have to have a look at prices a bit closer, but its more so going from a really nice MSI motherboard and high spec DDR3 ram that upgrading I won't be able to grab the same quality of stuff, where as selling the i5 and buying just a Tray i7 I can prob get it for an ok price for a very solid upgrade. 

You do have a valid point there.

Your 4690k will sell much higher than my G3258, so maybe you won't feel the difference that much. For me it was way too much difference so I just sold everything and bought the Kaby. I did want to hit 5 GHz, so that played a huge role in this :D

MSI Z270 SLI PLUS - 7600k 5.1GHz - Corsair LPX 3000MHz - G1 Gaming GTX1060 - Arctic LiquidFreezer 240 - Crucial m.2 275GB - WD 1TB - EVGA B3 750W - Segotep Lux - LG 34UC79 Curved - Redragon Yama - Redragon Hydra - Gigabyte WIFI 

Sound is provided by a Pioneer Amp from the 70s - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

11 hours ago, lsstefan said:

You do have a valid point there.

Your 4690k will sell much higher than my G3258, so maybe you won't feel the difference that much. For me it was way too much difference so I just sold everything and bought the Kaby. I did want to hit 5 GHz, so that played a huge role in this :D

Yeah man its the constant debate, like looks like I might be moving countries again for work and now with even newer stuff do I just sell Lapis and Redstone (See builds Below) or just pay a smaller price and ship them like I did with Redstone last time I moved, yeah they older but they paid for and are pretty well spec'd even if a bit old. 

Its always going to be that debate. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

On 20/08/2017 at 0:49 PM, shortfuse001 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

For gaming: don't upgrade there's no point. Even SLI 1080ti won't be bottlenecked enough by a 4790k to justify going for the only upgrade possible: the 7700k.

For productivity: Ryzen 7 1700, or any of the threadripper stuff would be a good choice.