1080ti now or wait for Volta

jaysangwan32
Go to solution Solved by mr moose,

Buy the best you can afford when you can afford it. other wise it's just time not enjoying what you could have in your pc now.   Tomorrow will always bring a different product, sometimes a better one, sometimes a cheaper one and sometimes a dodgy one, there is no point in waiting to find out if there is something worth buying today.

Hey guys!

Im planning on building a new PC and was curious what your opinions are on the rumored Nvidia Volta. I'm planning on waiting for Coffee Lake before purchasing a CPU (repurposing my 4770k for the time being) so would it be worth just putting the whole build off until Volta? Or should I build now with the 1080ti?

Thanks for the help!

What refresh rate and resolution?

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What refresh rate and resolution?

I believe 1440p and 144hz. I think that's what they said when they asked if they should upgrade their cpu

1080ti, If you also want my honest opinion, I believe Coffelake will perform WORSE than Kabylake in games, the 7700k is more then likely going to stomp the new 6 core chips because they will be slightly slower on the same 14 nm process just refined.

I would probably just buy the gtx 1080ti as in all likelihood the volta gpus won't be a huge improvement like the jump made from the maxwell to pascal. You won't be able to buy a ti card at launch so you could only get the 1180 or whatever they choose to call it. That might be as powerful as the gtx 1080ti for cheaper but honestly idk if that's worth the wait.

15 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

1080ti, If you also want my honest opinion, I believe Coffelake will perform WORSE than Kabylake in games, the 7700k is more then likely going to stomp the new 6 core chips because they will be slightly slower on the same 14 nm process just refined.

I'm debating between the 8700k (or whatever the flagship will be), 7820X, and 7700k. As primarily a gamer, would the 7700k be the best bet?

(sorry it's off topic just curious since you stated that opinion. i'm fairly new at PC specs)

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I believe 1440p and 144hz. I think that's what they said when they asked if they should upgrade their cpu

Yeah that is the resolution and refresh. Will the 1080ti be powerful enough to drive most games at ultra settings?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I specifically plan to purchase the ASUS ROG STRIX variant or GALAX HOF variant (whenever it releases)

19 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

The hexa-cores will retain the ring-bus design which should make them scale much better than the X299 CPU's utilizing the mesh design. 

2 minutes ago, jaysangwan32 said:

Yeah that is the resolution and refresh. Will the 1080ti be powerful enough to drive most games at ultra settings?

For the coming years, yes. The 1080 Ti should last you a good while. I'd wait on the CPU if you have a good one right now. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, jaysangwan32 said:

I'm debating between the 8700k (or whatever the flagship will be), 7820X, and 7700k. As primarily a gamer, would the 7700k be the best bet?

(sorry it's off topic just curious since you stated that opinion. i'm fairly new at PC specs)

Yes, 7700k will be better. Unless the magically pull the 6 core to be 5 ghz speeds out of their hat of tricks :P

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The hexa-cores will retain the ring-bus design which should make them scale much better than the X299 CPU's utilizing the mesh design. 

For the coming years, yes. The 1080 Ti should last you a good while. I'd wait on the CPU if you have a good one right now. 

That's what I'm hoping as I would like it to last me atleast 3 years. Coming from a 760 from three years ago it should be nice!

14 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yes, 7700k will be better. Unless the magically pull the 6 core to be 5 ghz speeds out of their hat of tricks :P

Bare clock speed is what I'm looking for so the 7700k is good but I'm still gonna wait just to see the benchmarks on the 8-series maybe it'll be good! My trusty 4770k has done me well thus for plus with a new cooler hopefully I can push it up to 4.5 (currently at 4.1). Thanks for the help though!

Definitely grab the 1080ti now. You don't really want to play the waiting game, because you might be burned/disappointed in the end while having to wait all that time for a new card.

@ 1440p 144hz a 1080ti is perfect.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I'm running 1440p 165Hz on a ref 1080 Ti and it works like a dream. My CPU is a 4790K oc at 4,6 Ghz (on air) and there's 0 bottleneck as far as I can tell. I will probably skip covfefe lake unless it beats 7700K in gaming reaching 5Ghz and shit, and Ryzen... I love the platform and everything it represents but we'll see.

As it has been said a million times before and possibly already on this thread.

There's always going to be something better around the corner. If a product that is already out does what you need it to do and does it well, then get it now. That new product should and will likely be better than the one you got now but then you don't get into this loop.

I presume Volta isn't expected until early next year. Like when GDC 2018 rolls around. Which is in February. That's 6 months away.

AMD is going to be coming out with Vega real soon too. But as ETH mining becomes too tough for GPUs to handle and either dies off or continues to be as lucrative as Bitcoin and require special hardware, it might be a bit of a unicorn in retail shops like Best Buy, Newegg or Amazon.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, Phillyphries said:

@ 1440p 144hz a 1080ti is perfect.

Which is precisely why I'm torn between a 1080ti and a 1080 for that kind of use.

Both cards are great for it. But the 1080ti is just that bit more better but also just that bit more epensive. And 1080 coolers are better looking than 1080ti coolers.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Buy the best you can afford when you can afford it. other wise it's just time not enjoying what you could have in your pc now.   Tomorrow will always bring a different product, sometimes a better one, sometimes a cheaper one and sometimes a dodgy one, there is no point in waiting to find out if there is something worth buying today.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

That's a really good point. Definitely made my decision then!