Upgrading my CPU or overclock it?

Hello guys,

Since I finished my computer build a while back, I bought my CPU with the thought to upgrade it after some years or overclock it.

Lately my CPU often caps the 100% mark while playing games which I guess kinda bottlenecks my GPU. 

Here are my specs: 

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz
Windows 10 (64 bit)
MSI - Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 
Asus - GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

RAM:  8143 Mb

I have a stock intel CPU cooler atm.

What is better in this case? If it's better to overclock, how do I do that? I'm a total noob on that part.

Hope you got all the information you need,

Regards, 

Jeremy

1 minute ago, Jeremy7020 said:

Hello guys,

Since I finished my computer build a while back, I bought my CPU with the thought to upgrade it after some years or overclock it.

Lately my CPU often caps the 100% mark while playing games which I guess kinda bottlenecks my GPU. 

Here are my specs: 

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz
Windows 10 (64 bit)
MSI - Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 
Asus - GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

RAM:  8143 Mb

I have a stock intel CPU cooler atm.

What is better in this case? If it's better to overclock, how do I do that? I'm a total noob on that part.

Hope you got all the information you need,

Regards, 

Jeremy

Upgrade it. Two cores even overclocked just aren't enough nowadays. Try and find a used i5 4670k/4690k. They should be a pretty noticeable upgrade.

Get a 4790k

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Overclock it for now and get a 4690K or a 4790K if your BIOS allows it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Overclock it, see if you are happy with the performance, if not get an I5 4670K/4790K or an I7 4770K/4790K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Overclock it, see if you are happy with the performance, if not get an I5 4670K/4790K or an I7 4770K/4790K

I own a 4690k. If you choose it then you need to overclock it. This CPU is trash at stock speeds in games.

I mean you could overclock the G3258 and see if it performs good enough so you can wait until you really want to upgrade but I doubt that the pentium can deliver you the desired performance.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Just now, DiscoDuck101 said:

I own a 4690k. If you choose it then you need to overclock it. This CPU is trash at stock speeds in games.

Hmm? Mine was great, both at stock or at 4.7GHz

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Hmm? Mine was great, both at stock or at 4.7GHz

It has shocking performance when paired with a 1070. Bottle-necked so hard. Mine is overclocked to 4.3GHz and performs fine.

7 minutes ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

It has shocking performance when paired with a 1070. Bottle-necked so hard. Mine is overclocked to 4.3GHz and performs fine.

Any I5 will bottleneck the 1070, but that really shouldn't add up to this CPU being trash. Either way it's a great overclocker

Builds:

Spoiler