AMD Threadripper won't come with native support for NVMe-Hardware-RAID at launch

Nicnac

To be honest, how many people really use RAID these days?

Also worth pointing out that Threadripper still looks to be a way better deal than the X299 platform over on intel, based purely on price to performance.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I've setup raid boot drives before,  enthusiasts will do anything for better performance.  Mind you this was long before ssd tech came along and the fastest drive on the market was the scsi raptor.

I have the SATA RaptorX lol. 150gb of annoying and slow storage at 10k something rpm :P the plexiglass window is cool though 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I have the SATA RaptorX lol. 150gb of annoying and slow storage at 10k something rpm :P the plexiglass window is cool though 

If I could mark that as funny as well I would have.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not really surprised, it's a very new feature for Intel as well and the need for it is low. It's likely not that simple to just give a feature like this considering even SATA RAID is done using a storage controller but NVMe is a PCIe device and doesn't connect through a storage controller as such and getting all that RAID initialization done and in a way the OS can see it so it can boot to it probably requires a large amount of work in UEFI.

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I've got 6 450GB VRaptors without the the plexiglass tho :(, noisy little things.

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how about the 0.1% of users who want an iLO-like tech on the desktop? should we shun the board partners for not putting that on the enthousiast boards?

Guess I'm in the 0.1%, I'd actually really like this.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Guess I'm in the 0.1%, I'd actually really like this.

when you see what the iLO on HP ProLiants can do for you.. i want it in every system i have..

i used to slot servers into racks, and all i needed to do was set up the accounts on the iLO, and someone on the other side of the planet would do everything from there on to put the thing into production.

33 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how about the 0.1% of users who want an iLO-like tech on the desktop? should we shun the board partners for not putting that on the enthousiast boards?

iLO < iDRAC! 

Well, I guess I just like working with DELL servers more... :P That would be pretty cool though, and I think there is something like that on consumer enthusiast mobos: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z10PED16_WS/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

when you see what the iLO on HP ProLiants can do for you.. i want it in every system i have..

i used to slot servers into racks, and all i needed to do was set up the accounts on the iLO, and someone on the other side of the planet would do everything from there on to put the thing into production.

Technically it's called OneView now but nobody calls it that still and there's also a OneView server VM appliance that you can centrally manage all HPE servers, really cool. I can push out firmware updates to all our servers from one web interface :)

13 minutes ago, Tedny said:

wait wait wait... why you need it, if 1.5gb/s it too fast for anything you can do with PC?!  

(you will use NVMe Drive like massive storage?) 

Sure why not, 4TB of NVMe is better than 2TB of NVMe xD

atleast you dont have to pay for a raid key ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

the question is why would an enthousiast need it, other than to just literally throw money out the window?

To throw money into the windows opening very fast ;)

3 hours ago, Nicnac said:

This seems to be a major disadvantage for x399 systems

Who in their right mind would run a nvme raid?

Is there anyone out there with a valid use-case?

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

13 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

Who in their right mind would run a nvme raid?

Is there anyone out there with a valid use-case?

At work sure, something we already do. I'd do it at home but I don't really need to, already run a 6 SSD array (for capacity).

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

but at least when available its free.

3 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Let's not forget Intel's RAID keys.

3 hours ago, Asche said:

As long as some day, it'll be available for free, it doesn't matter.

Just FYI, you don't need a raid key for NVMe RAID on X299. You need the key only if you need to use CPU lanes, you can use chipset lanes for free :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I've got 6 450GB VRaptors without the the plexiglass tho :(, noisy little things.

I use it in most versions of the LAN PC. It was only ok in one, which was 3.0 where literally everything else was wrong in some way. It's incredibly noisy, my friends hate me for it xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I don;t know why, last time I looked up the benefits there were none.  Not enough to warrant buying a second ssd that is.

My desktop has an nVMe boot drive. My laptop has a sata SSD boot drive. There is literally no noticeable difference between the two when booting Windows (not counting the much longer X99 post time). The only difference is when reading very large (10GB and larger). The PC reads the file into ram much faster than the laptop.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

RAID0 NVMes for an OS drive? If boot times are so important for you then why are you powering your PC off to begin with?

-KuJoe

23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Just FYI, you don't need a raid key for NVMe RAID on X299. You need the key only if you need to use CPU lanes, you can use chipset lanes for free :P

but that is only useful in RAID 1 if someone wanted a RAID 0 it would become bottle necked by the chipset, which defeats the purpose of it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

if someone wanted a RAID 0 it would become bottle necked by the chipset, which defeats the purpose of it.

Source? AFAIK, performance is identical.

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

IK but this is a topic on cpu raid

Nope, it's about NVMe raid :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Not at launche but later on, was mentioned already. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Source? AFAIK, performance is identical.

Nope, it's about NVMe raid :P

Well the chipset is on a DMI 3 link which is basicly PCIe3 x4 which is 3940 MB/s, a 960 Pro has a Sequential Read/Write Speed of 3500/2100 MBps. Both of those metrics doubled in a 2 drive RAID 0 would exceed the DMI3 bandwidth. and keep in mind the DMI is used by other stuff at the same time.

So a NVME raid over the chipset seems to have a high chance of bottle necking.

Intel needs key ONLY for native CPU lane raid while the chip can do it for free: "Fuck you intel, this is bullshit you greedy bastards"

AMD doesnt support even NVME raid nor is able to utilize CPU lanes for raid: "Thats fine, no one uses NVME drives in raid anyway"

Like this shit is starting to piss me off. People are treating AMD and everything they do like its the returning of Christ and nothing they do is wrong.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Intel needs key ONLY for native CPU lane raid while the chip can do it for free: "Fuck you intel, this is bullshit you greedy bastards"

AMD doesnt support even NVME raid nor is able to utilize CPU lanes for raid: "Thats fine, no one uses NVME drives in raid anyway"

Like this shit is starting to piss me off. People are treating AMD and everything they do like its the returning of Christ and nothing they do is wrong.

It is fine that AMD does not have the tech.

The fuck intel is for putting things behind paywalls, IF intel made it free and AMD didn't have it we would be "mad" at AMD that they do not have these hot new feature.