American second hand parts and postal ???

amancalledoss

Well for the last few days Ive been looking at parts to buy on the American Ebay and they are fantastically cheap in comparison to here in the UK .

However when you get in contact asking if they will send to the UK the postal charge comes in at like $40 extra , is the American postal service really that expensive ?

I have sent mobile/cell phones out to the States for under £6 

Yah, and the USPS is cheap by comparison to FedEx and UPS :( 

What would cost me $50 to send to the UK by USPS would cost me 2x or 3x to send via the cheapest methods by the other guys.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, amancalledoss said:

Well for the last few days Ive been looking at parts to buy on the American Ebay and they are fantastically cheap in comparison to here in the UK .

However when you get in contact asking if they will send to the UK the postal charge comes in at like $40 extra , is the American postal service really that expensive ?

Beware of import taxes, duty, VAT and all the other bullcrap.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

That sounds about right. The postage from what I've seen is fairly expensive going to the UK. Sometimes shipping inside the states can be fairly expensive if you're shipping a heavy item. I live in North Carolina and don't like the costs of shipping. @Lurick is right as well. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

9 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That sounds about right. The postage from what I've seen is fairly expensive going to the UK. Sometimes shipping inside the states can be fairly expensive if you're shipping a heavy item. I live in North Carolina and don't like the costs of shipping. @Lurick is right as well. 

Off topic but yay, another NC person :D 

USPS is great if you've got something under 70 pounds that fits in their boxes, but if you've got your own packaging or something very large to ship, it's crazy expensive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Off topic but yay, another NC person :D 

USPS is great if you've got something under 70 pounds that fits in their boxes, but if you've got your own packaging or something very large to ship, it's crazy expensive.

Very true. Don't even get me started on shipping CRTs.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

43 minutes ago, amancalledoss said:

You'll get annihilated by import tax anyway so don't waste your time.

14 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

You'll get annihilated by import tax anyway so don't waste your time.

I thought that only applied on brand new goods not second hand 

18 minutes ago, amancalledoss said:

I think you only have to pay VAT, or at least I thought they removed import duty on computer components. <--- The VAT is also calculated including the postage cost for some ridiculous reason so you get to pay the extra 20% on that extra $40 postage. :) If it's just a person, they may always do what I seem to get from anything shipped from China/Hong Kong and just value it at $20. Might be one of those times it is actually worthwhile calling HMRC though, just in case as their website is trash.

1 hour ago, amancalledoss said:

Nope, applies to anything you import above a certain value. Only exemption to my knowledge is if it's your own possessions you are receiving, for example if you sent an item back to the US to get it repaired under warranty, when it comes back you don't pay import tax again.

If they could get away with taxing for breathing, the Brits would be the first ones to do so.

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

If they could get away with taxing for breathing, the Brits would be the first ones to do so.

So true that its not even funny :(

4 hours ago, amancalledoss said:

Thats easy to check from your customs office. With electronics its bit different than for clothes, as example. UK is bit odd atm, but EU has very restricted market for electronics.

As for shipping fee, sounds about right. Heavier/bigger the stuff, more expensive it is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv