Anyone runs a dedicated Gaming PC and then a general purpose separated PC?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I am currently thinking of putting together another build using some older parts and some used parts.

The idea is to keep my gaming PC just as a gaming PC, always optimized and running just the essential gaming softwares.

And then have another build to be my genreal use PC, for web browsing, torrents, usenet, movie watching, VMs and such.

I would build just the tower, throw my storage drives there and then run it with Windows Remote desktop.

Does this sound like a goos idea?

Or just a waste of time and money?

Cheers!

The main idea was to keep my gaming rip free of spyware threats and also clutter free in the software side of things.

I'm in the process of setting up similar, but with a difference. I want to game and do other stuff, with the two not interfering with each other. So two physical systems each with their own display and controls.

Personally I've not been a fan of remote desktop software for anything serious.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

The main idea was to keep my gaming rip free of spyware threats and also clutter free in the software side of things.

So? Don't install spyware, viruses, malware, and keep your system clutter free. The computer does what you tell it to.

Keep Windows and all your software fully updated, and know what you download on your system, with good web surfing practices (and common sense)

Because having your main 'work' desktop full of spyware is okay... Just so long as it doesn't interrupt the gaming? o.O

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

So? Don't install spyware, viruses, malware, and keep your system clutter free. The computer does what you tell it to.

Keep Windows and all your software fully updated, and know what you download on your system, with good web surfing practices (and common sense)

Brick.N.Marty.S03E02.2160p.ByRussianH4x0rs.EXE Self extracting executable movie file?  Sounds legit to me! :V

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Brick.N.Marty.S03E02.2160p.ByRussianH4x0rs.EXE Self extracting executable movie file?  Sounds legit to me! :V

long as it doesn't hurt my GTA 6 torrent 

I have a dedicated emulator PC, that handles a few indie games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Come on... we all know that by using the computer to browse the werb, even with good practices and install and uninstall software to try out and such, it takes its toll on the system.

The systems gets slower over time, the registry is filled with garbage...

That's why we clean format our systems every couple of months to keep it in tip top performance.

I have some reasons for running individual computers, but I don't think they really apply in your case.

1. I have sensitive work related documents on a laptop which I don't want to compromise. It may be a bit of paranoia, but I even disable the wireless card when I take this laptop away from the office.

2. I have a dedicated windows XP computer running a DDR machine. Mostly I need the configuration on this machine to be as stable and consistent as possible. When initially setting this machine up, I used remote desktop software over my LAN because the arcade machine display was limited to 320x240. After configuring everything to my liking, I uninstalled that and hook up a separate monitor if other changes are needed on something like a semi-annual basis.

3. I have a Surface that I used to use exclusively for school work, and it comes in handy for PDFs and other document referencing when I'm working on projects in the garage.

2 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Come on... we all know that by using the computer to browse the werb, even with good practices and install and uninstall software to try out and such, it takes its toll on the system.

That's why we clean format our systems every couple of months to keep it in tip top performance.

Use Cleaner to clean the registry (my Dad taught me that, and he knows his stuff). And browsing the web doesn't hurt your computer. Just clean up your cookies (Cleaner does that too) and such every week, and keep an eye on what's installed and uninstall anything you don't need. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

u must be doing something wrong if registry is changed 

This isn't 2006. That really REALLY isn't necessary. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

This isn't 2006. That really REALLY isn't necessary. 

There are still people who think that you have to defrag regularly. :o

Happens since windows 95 days...

Clean install a windows system and it's golden.

After a couple of months usage online and with trying out stuff and installing and uninstalling stuff, boot takes 6 times longer, shutdown takes 4 times longer, system hangs sometimes, becomes sluggish... Blue screens randomly appear...

Format and clean install and it's golden for a couple more months...

Just now, Gdourado said:

Happens since windows 95 days...

Clean install a windows system and it's golden.

After a couple of months usage online and with trying out stuff and installing and uninstalling stuff, boot takes 6 times longer, shutdown takes 4 times longer, system hangs sometimes, becomes sluggish... Blue screens randomly appear...

Format and clean install and it's golden for a couple more months...

...No...  No, it doesn't work that way.  I mean, not unless you filled your computer with malware and such.  But no, Windows installs don't 'wear out' like a shoe and start hanging and blue screening at random.

That seems pointless. If you don't want malware and stuff, just don't click those things saying "These MILF's are desperate, stop masturbating?", or "Start making 1000$ a day from home" or those popups saying "click add to close this page". The best anti-malware is common sense ;)

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Other than having an old laptop that I use for internet usage, while vegging on the couch, and then a desktop I use for gaming + other stuff when I'm on it, I haven't come close to anything like this, but you can build a "surfing and downloading pr0n" PC for a couple hundred bucks and use a KVM switch to share keyboard and mouse, or that software that's been in Linus's videos.

I personally have 2 (about to be 3) desktop PCs. One is for general purpose/gaming, one if an HTPC, and one is a pure junker I use when troubleshooting people's computers so I can dock their hard drives and scan them without worry of losing anything I care about. 

Just now, baconborn said:

I personally have 2 (about to be 3) desktop PCs. One is for general purpose/gaming, one if an HTPC, and one is a pure junker I use when troubleshooting people's computers so I can dock their hard drives and scan them without worry of losing anything I care about. 

Seven, five of which are operational and see use, the other two are WIPs.

...In a one bedroom apartment...