Usb 3.2 announced

NumLock21

I really wish that they would just call it USB 4 and 5 to help keep it simple. Why does it need a decimal in it? Just making shit complicated for the sake of being complicated.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

13 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

Why is it called usb 3.1/3.2 and not usb 4.0 and 5.0 respectively? Just curious :P

I would assume because the jump isn't large would to warrant it. 1.0 to 2.0 I believe was a 40 fold bandwidth increase, 2.0 to 3.0 was around a 10 fold one. These are "only" 2 fold.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Haha I love it how doubeling the data rate is only worth a 0.1 increase in the version number.

Other companies make a new generation for a 10% improvement.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

8 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I would assume because the jump isn't large would to warrant it. 1.0 to 2.0 I believe was a 40 fold bandwidth increase, 2.0 to 3.0 was around a 10 fold one. These are "only" 2 fold.

4 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Haha I love it how doubeling the data rate is only worth a 0.1 increase in the version number.

Other companies make a new generation for a 10% improvement.

Also they have not increased data rate per pin, they just made it so USB C connectors/cables can use all 4 lanes versus the 2 lanes USB A/B use.

USB 3.2 basically only pertains to USB C when USB 3.0, 3.1 gen 1/2 are for all connectors/cables

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

If USB speeds kept up the 40 fold thing from 1 to 3, the difference of 1 to "4" would be 40^3= 64000 fold. (compared to 40x10x2= 800 fold)

I kinda wouldn't blame them if they called USB-C USB 4 instead??

USB C is a physical connector design just like USB A and B. their is no speeds tied to it.

USB 3.1 gen2 works on USB A,B,C

USB 3.2 works on USB C due to is having 4 lanes vs 2.

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

However, that's the least of USB's worries. Type-C's alternate modes make people think every Type-C is capable of Thunderbolt, DP, and HDMI.

I don't really get where this comes from...

If it has a DisplayPort logo next to it, it supports DisplayPort.

If it has a thunderbolt logo next to it, it supports thunderbolt 3, and thus DisplayPort.

No real consumer devices support the HDMI or Ethernet alt-modes.

If your device came with a USB-C power adapter it probably supports Power Delivery. If not, it probably doesn't.

If you have a phone or tablet, the chances of it supporting video output are slim, but it'll likely charge off the port.

If you have a Mac, it's complicated AF and get wrekd 'cause Apple can't be bothered to degrade the beautiful finish of their devices with the standardized logos.

Like sure these are heuristics and not always 100% accurate, but in the vast majority of cases they're right and even when they're wrong they're just overly conservative.

Worst case is you plug something in and it doesn't work. Oh no.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

If it has a thunderbolt logo next to it, it supports thunderbolt 3, and thus DisplayPort.

You put too much faith into the intelligence awareness of end users.

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

No real consumer devices support the HDMI or Ethernet alt-modes.

If your device came with a USB-C power adapter it probably supports Power Delivery. If not, it probably doesn't.

If you have a phone or tablet, the chances of it supporting video output are slim, but it'll likely charge off the port.

If you have a Mac, it's complicated AF and get wrekd 'cause Apple can't be bothered to degrade the beautiful finish of their devices with the standardized logos.

Like sure these are heuristics and not always 100% accurate, but in the vast majority of cases they're right and even when they're wrong they're just overly conservative.

Worst case is you plug something in and it doesn't work. Oh no.

It's easy for you to understand this, but a majority of people who use electronics don't know what to look for. If it looks like a thing, surely it must be the thing with all the bells and whistles.

Still get people asking why their USB 3.0 thumb drive sucks. Because you know, if it says USB 3.0 and the plug itself looks like USB 3.0, surely it must need USB 3.0. Because otherwise they would've stuck with USB 2.0, right?

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's easy for you to understand this, but a majority of people who use electronics don't know what to look for. If it looks like a thing, surely it must be the thing with all the bells and whistles.

Still get people asking why their USB 3.0 thumb drive sucks. Because you know, if it says USB 3.0 and the plug itself looks like USB 3.0, surely it must need USB 3.0. Because otherwise they would've stuck with USB 2.0, right?

valid point but most new laptops and desktops mostly have USB3 and many don't have USB2 anymore.

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

You put too much faith into the intelligence awareness of end users.

That issue is not specific to usb-c though.

People buying a DisplayPort alt-mode adapter for a port that doesn't support DisplayPort because they don't realize it's not supported, is literally no different than the people who buy a DVI cable because they don't realize it's different than a VGA cable.

People are dumb. People are going to be dumb whether two different things use the same port or not. What needs to happen is people need to stop explaining it as "USB-C does DisplayPort so you can connect to a monitor", and start explaining it as "USB-C is the new USB port. DisplayPort is this cool thing that lets you connect to a monitor, and certain USB ports may also be a DisplayPort". It's a marketing issue moreso than a technical issue...

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Which is part of why we need to stop training people on ports, and start training people on icons. Because this is nothing new or specific to USB. What about incompatibility in different HDMI and HDCP specs? Or issues with DVI-I vs DVI-D vs DVI dual channel?

The icons are standardized and tell you exactly what you need to know about the port.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yeah, and the problem's compounded when you have machines like Asus gaming laptops where they just go, "Hurr durr, some of these USB ports are 2.0 and some are 3.0, but let's just make all of them red!"

I get that customers are still going to make mistakes and be confused, but there's no magic bullet to making a perfect system.

The alternative to different USB versions? Make a new port for every revision that's not backwards compatible. This was a thing in the past before USB. It was bad. It causes issues, but nowhere near as much as having everything over different ports.

The whole one-port thing is going to be the same, especially at first and especially for Joe consumer until they're trained on the new paradigm, but in the long run it's for the best it'll help save space in devices, especially smaller form factor devices, will reduce cable clutter, and just generally lead to a better tech state.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So what you're saying is they see the thumb drive as USB 2.0 and go "BUT I ONLY HAVE 3.0 PORTS, THIS PRODUCT WON'T WORK"

No, I mean the part were people don't know why their drive is running slow, due to know know that it is not a USB 3 port.

14 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Which is part of why we need to stop training people on ports, and start training people on icons. Because this is nothing new or specific to USB. What about incompatibility in different HDMI and HDCP specs? Or issues with DVI-I vs DVI-D vs DVI dual channel?

The icons are standardized and tell you exactly what you need to know about the port.

I've yet to see an HDMI logo on a device that clearly tells me what features it can or can't do (not to mention it is possible to upgrade the HDMI version, as the PS3 did).  The Thunderbolt logo doesn't tell me if it's 1, 2 or 3. Some devices don't even have icons: 

Spoiler

Apple-Macbook-Pro-15-with-Touch-Bar-Hand

DVI though is more easier to tell since the plug itself is visibly different depending on the type. However, the fact that there are dicks who make "passive" DVI-D to VGA doesn't help.

The thing is, people are going to associate with plugs and connectors more than icons. These are things you physically interact with, what you see most often. That's going to have more meaning than an icon that may or may not even be on the device.

The alternative to different USB versions? Make a new port for every revision that's not backwards compatible. This was a thing in the past before USB. It was bad. It causes issues, but nowhere near as much as having everything over different ports.

The problem I'm finding is that USB is trying to do other things than USB. USB being backwards compatible with USB itself is fine. USB physically being compatible with other protocols is not. If they can't find a way to make those protocols work over USB itself, then they shouldn't have bothered.

51 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

That issue is not specific to usb-c though.

Oh, I agree completely.  I can't tell how many times I've had customers come in looking for a video adapter, and half the time they don't even know which port they're adapting from, much less what they're adapting to.

Very nice. Though to minimize confusion they should've called Type-C with higher speeds USB 4 but oh well. Hopefully Type-C gets implemented everywhere and finally replaces old connector. Hence actually live up to it's name being new modern universal connector. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

USB 3.x is like firefox when they went from version 4.0 to version 8 billion in like a week

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

USB 3.x is like firefox when they went from version 4.0 to version 8 billion in like a week

I was just thinking about that recently.  It was Firefox 3 for years. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 7/26/2017 at 4:02 PM, iBeast_M0de said:

Finally some real preformance, USB GPU docks maybe?

Nevermind I thought Thunderbolt 3 was 20Gb/s but its 40 Gb/s

It's not just a matter of bandwidth, a USB controller could never replace a pcie slot. Thunderbolt on the other hand is a much more direct connection to the cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I was just thinking about that recently.  It was Firefox 3 for years. xD

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch