FireFox 55 to start faster and also use less RAM

source: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/firefox-55-quantum-flow-tabs

Mozilla-logo-650x245.jpg

Opening 1691 tabs in Firefox 55
Mozilla’s Dietrich Ayala decided to test how well various versions of Firefox copes with 1691 open tabs. He launched the same custom profile in multiple versions versions of Firefox, including Firefox 55 and 56, on his MacBook and measured the time the browser took to open:

firefox-startup-time-graph-750x467.pngfirefox-55-memory-tab-use-750x466.png

perhaps there's hope afterall

----

Mozilla is calling this new tech used in FF5, Quantum Flow

Quantum Flow is focused on:

User centric performance and responsiveness prioritized over throughput

good, I hate chrome and without FF that only leaves...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

oh man, firefox 52 fucked it for everybody

all plugins don't work now

and there is like 10 plugins, so everybody moved to chrome as they didn't like what mozilla was doing

good fucking riddance if they run out of money, it's just another chromium skin now

idk

inbe4 your pc consume 300watts for browsing the interwebs.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

it's just another chromium skin now

wtf are you on about?!

FF uses Gecko 

11 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

and there is like 10 plugins, so everybody moved to chrome as they didn't like what mozilla was doing

Refrain from that every body, Firefox is the best and I have been using it since forever and I plan to use it for many years to go, sure the UI got fucked up at some point when they tried to copy Chrome but all it takes to fix that is a light extension that gives us back the classic one.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

wtf are you on about?!

FF uses Gecko 

yeah, I should have worded that differently - it feels like just another chromium skin now, like Opera

idk

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

yeah, I should have worded that differently - it feels like just another chromium skin now

except it doesn't, at all

Earlier versions of FF (while lacking security updates a few support HTML5) will still be far faster than FF 55 in all areas......even on CPU (single or multiple) without SSE2 or higher support (really crucial for my dual PIII 1000/2GB 148MHz SDRAM).

Edit: I'm talking about pre FF 10 FYI

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except it doesn't, at all

because this:

browser-interface-firefox.png?x92042

doesn't look like this at all, right?

preview.jpg

21 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Refrain from that every body, Firefox is the best and I have been using it since forever and I plan to use it for many years to go, sure the UI got fucked up at some point when they tried to copy Chrome but all it takes to fix that is a light extension that gives us back the classic one.

last time I used Firefox it was a memory hog, worse than Chrome - that's saying something. glad they're changing that, but I'll stick with what just werks 

idk

I still think 4 processes is not enough, especially considering the amount of tabs I have open at a single time (~50 or so). It's fine for most users, but it should automatically allow more if it detects the system can handle it.

For example, 4 when i3/4GB, 8 when i5/8GB and 12 when i7 and 16Gb.

In any case, after I increased them from 4 to 32, I've got no complaints anymore. Runs as smooth as butter.

For those curious:

PSQQakH.png

*crysis suit voice*

maximum firefox; activated.

63h0HZ6.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

last time I used Firefox it was a memory hog, worse than Chrome - that's saying something. glad they're changing that, but I'll stick with what just werks 

UZyHwXq.png

^

Now that UI is perfect I never understood why did they want to copy Chrome's and I agree that was stupid but at least you have the option to go back as I shown, funny enough when I tested I still saw higher RAM usage on Chrome than on Firefox so back when I was rocking an i3 2368m with 2gb of ram that was a no brainer...

Now out of habit and what not I only use Firefox on all my rigs in fact I do not even have another browser installed but Edge heheh, these are all good news though, the better it gets performance wise the better literally, so only joys for me right now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

UZyHwXq.png

^

Now that UI is perfect I never understood why did they want to copy Chrome's and I agree that was stupid but at least you have the option to go back as I shown, funny enough when I tested I still saw higher RAM usage on Chrome than on Firefox so back when I was rocking an i3 2368m with 2gb of ram that was a no brainer...

Now out of habit and what not I only use Firefox on all my rigs in fact I do not even have another browser installed but Edge heheh, these are all good news though, the better it gets performance wise the better literally, so only joys for me right now.

at school we're limited with what they give us, and on a machine with 4GB of RAM, having Firefox eat up 3GB of that with 15 tabs open (!) was insane. 

I think we've got 42ESR or something

idk

58 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

oh man, firefox 52 fucked it for everybody

all plugins don't work now

I have never heard of that one. My plugins are still working all (~5) without any problem.

18 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I have never heard of that one. My plugins are still working all (~5) without any problem.

RIP, it's not 52 it's 57 that gets rid of all the plugins cause they're not multithreaded. 

it's caused a huge uproar on /g/

idk

To everyone talking about the GUI, I would like to inform you that Firefox will be getting a new look called Photon later this year (November to be more precise, in Firefox 57).

I am not so sure I like it. Pictures of what it looked like a few months ago can be found here.

The same release will also block non-WebExtensions addons which might be a big blow to Firefox.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Earlier versions of FF (while lacking security updates a few support HTML5) will still be far faster than FF 55 in all areas......even on CPU (single or multiple) without SSE2 or higher support (really crucial for my dual PIII 1000/2GB 148MHz SDRAM).

Edit: I'm talking about pre FF 10 FYI

I was watching a podcast the other day. They mentioned they got a hold of old Firefox 3 and it was lighting fast but obviously full of vulnerabilities.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Firefox is great, sure it has problems from time to time, but still waaay better than chrome. I just wish they had webRTC fixes implemented as standard... it's not a hard "fix", but annoying having to do it manually in config. The other thing I wish is that they had a "boomark all tabs" in FF mobile version. Also have to fix scroll wheel amount of lines scrolled in firefox for linux.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Wow so much hate. FF will always be respected for its fight against an evil monopolistic corporations but FF does run crap on my cheap celeron laptop but chrome also runs crap on it. The only browsers that run smooth are the lightweight ones that don't always render properly.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

Wow so much hate. FF will always be respected for its fight against an evil monopolistic corporations but FF does run crap on my cheap celeron laptop but chrome also runs crap on it. The only browsers that run smooth are the lightweight ones that don't always render properly.

don't forget, chrome's basis, chromium is open source. 

you can just get ungoogled-chromium if you don't like the botnet

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

don't forget, chrome's basis, chromium is open source. 

you can just get ungoogled-chromium if you don't like the botnet

By evil corporation I was referring to MS and FF dominance back when IE was a cumstain of a browser. I am using the open source chromium. I have not experienced any issues yet to reason to get the spyware from google

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_