Amd threadripper package

38 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

my postman is a bigger danger to tech than linus, cause

Cause linus does it on camera and you have proof, who damaged tech.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

39 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Um... AM4 is also a much newer platform compared to LGA1151... which came out in what... 2015?  There will be issues, and for the most part, they're ironed out now.

Also, I know with at least Ryzen 5 and Core i5s... minus the 1600 vs 7600K, AMD actually has higher stock clock speeds.  (not sure about R7 vs i7).

Also, no, I need to finish school.

Newer doesn't always mean better though.  Just ask @aisle9.  He's had a few issues getting his Ryzen build working I believe.  

Sorry.  I didn't mean to seem overly harsh against Ryzen.  Just that it isn't entirely polished yet.  It's getting there though.  

I didn't say drop out.  Just a temporary diversion of resources.  I was mostly joking anyway.  Sorry.  I guess I should've made that a bit more obvious.  

36 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

Cause linus does it on camera and you have proof, who damaged tech.

that is true, but the postman doesn't if he knows he's being watched, if he thinks he knows he's not, he becomes an american football player and our house is like the touchdown area place thingy (I anit American, I don't know what that's called)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I am American, and I don't have a clue, either.  Then again, I never could get into sports.

I can only get into one, rugby, cause i juts like the skill and attitude (my biggest problem with football) which the players, and the commentators have. But yea, as I said my postman pretty much slam dunks the post and parcels through our door (that's another way to describe it I imagine)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I never could get into sports.

I never understood the appeal of football(normal one, not american) as well as many other sports. The only sports i've done are cycling and mountaineering.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Kitty?  If you'd ever feel like it I wouldn't say no to pm'd kitty pictures.  ?

Considering the lower IPC and clock speeds I wouldn't say AMD completely succeeded at catching up.    They've come rather close though.  Like 70% maybe?

-10% lower ipc

-10% lower clock speeds

-10% ram and other issues that there might be

So still competitive and worth using for cases where Ryzen wins but it needs refinement.  

You could just take a semester off for "tech purchase health reasons". ?

-lower prices

-higher core counts

-better SMT

-lower platform costs

-better platform longevity 

-lower power consumption

-better stock coolers and thus temps

You cant just list the drawbacks and assume the rest are on par.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

2 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

-lower prices

Depends on what you are comparing and where you live.  It's not always cheaper. The 7700K works out cheaper than the 1700 after accounting for the mobo. and is $50 cheaper than the 1700x outright. don;t even ask about the 1800.

2 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

-lower platform costs

again, depending on where you live, there is a solid $50+ premium for AMD motherboards where I live. And I believe that is not uncommon. also see above.

2 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

-better platform longevity

what does that mean though?  are you suggesting you'll be able to hold on to a ryzen system longer than an i7?  I'd like your crystal ball please, I want to play the lotto.

2 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

-better stock coolers and thus temps

End use specific, given many people don't overclock, even the most generic of coolers are adequate.

There are just too many end uses cases and price variance to make black and white claims like this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Asrock has no current plans to make mitx and matx motherboards for TR :c

i wonder why, maybe because the socket itself is huge

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i wonder why, maybe because the socket itself is huge

It would be just the socket, no IO, one memory slot and no PCI-E slots. and two sata connectors.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Depends on what you are comparing and where you live.  It's not always cheaper. The 7700K works out cheaper than the 1700 after accounting for the mobo. and is $50 cheaper than the 1700x outright. don;t even ask about the 1800.

again, depending on where you live, there is a solid $50+ premium for AMD motherboards where I live. And I believe that is not uncommon. also see above.

what does that mean though?  are you suggesting you'll be able to hold on to a ryzen system longer than an i7?  I'd like your crystal ball please, I want to play the lotto.

End use specific, given many people don't overclock, even the most generic of coolers are adequate.

There are just too many end uses cases and price variance to make black and white claims like this.

amd has comfirmed that they will support am4 until 2020, so ryzen+ and ryzen 2 will run on am4

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

amd has comfirmed that they will support am4 until 2020, so ryzen+ and ryzen 2 will run on am4

I dont like this kind of confirmations. What if they suddenly make a massive breakthrough that will allow them to produce processers that will be small as current ryzen, have more cores, better ipc, higher clocks, lower power consumption, but they had to do with different socket. Its near impossible though, but hey, miracles are just events with low probability.

This probably confirms that they almost done those two generations and it won't be much different from current generation. We'll just have same shit from AMD, as we had from intel (small incremental bumps in performance/clocks).

Sorry for bad Ingrish

Just now, Denis Rakhmanov said:

I dont like this kind of confirmations. What if they suddenly make a massive breakthrough that will allow them to produce processers that will be small as current ryzen, have more cores, better ipc, higher clocks, lower power consumption, but they had to do with different socket. Its near impossible though, but hey, miracles are just events with low probability.

This probably confirms that they almost done those two generations and it won't be much different from current generation. We'll just have same shit from AMD, as we had from intel (small incremental bumps in performance/clocks).

they can change anything they like and still do it in the same socket, you only need to change sockets if you add new memory standards many more pci-e, or if the cpu needs a bunch more current

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

&& comments of this thread regarding mATX and mITX X399:

It's definitely huge (but not as huge as a knight's metal foot) but some armchair speculation says it's possible if one is to extrapolate from the EPYC boards (particularly this one. the heatsink's for the Broadcom NIC). It's noted that it doesn't need a PCH to the south, and the other thing out of the way is that the component keepout area (horizontally) is the socket ILM itself.

So while running naked with this theory, this photoshop is one possible outcome:

juQ8tXm.jpg

(this comment wouldn't survive a second on wikipedia, LOL)

umm ok, but i dont see the point of itx/matx for threadripper the, the socket takes up too much space, and a single pcie slot? seems a waste of a threadripper cpu when they have 64 lanes directly from the cpu

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

&& comments of this thread regarding mATX and mITX X399:

It's definitely huge (but not as huge as a knight's metal foot) but some armchair speculation says it's possible if one is to extrapolate from the EPYC boards (particularly this one. the heatsink's for the Broadcom NIC). It's noted that it doesn't need a PCH to the south, and the other thing out of the way is that the component keepout area (horizontally) is the socket ILM itself.

So while running naked with this theory, this photoshop (from a guy at SFFN) is one possible outcome:

juQ8tXm.jpg

where's the chipset? And Sata? will it have only M.2 slots on the back?

Sorry for bad Ingrish

38 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Thats only 3 years away. Average pc cycle is 5 to 6 atm. So the claim of platform longevity means very little.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

Thats only 3 years away. Average pc cycle is 5 to 6 atm. So the claim of platform longevity means very little.

it means that things like: i am gonna get a 4 core and 3 years latter get a 8 core much more feasible.

2020 probably means ryzen+, ryzen 2 maybe 3, which mean one more gen on the same socket than intel at the minimum 

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

@Denis Rakhmanov whoa hang on, no, that's just a photoshop for now o_o

I'm finding for pictures to see if anyone managed to remove the heatsink on the released X399 boards (none so far), but those have to be the x4 PCH/chipset. Just a passing curiosity that the Gigabyte EPYC one doesn't have one, and whether if it would be possible to hook as many connections of the IO directly to the CPU's PCIe lanes without a chipset/PCH (therefore is ITX Threadripper still possible question mark)

ryzen has some stuff integrated, like usb 3, but lacks important stuff for consumers like sata (on enterprise they always use raid controllers for that )

Just now, cj09beira said:

it means that things like: i am gonna get a 4 core and 3 years latter get a 8 core much more feasible.

2020 probably means ryzen+, ryzen 2 maybe 3, which mean one more gen on the same socket than intel at the minimum 

The days of needing to upgdade your cpu every 2-3 years are gone my friend.  Even middle of the road cpus last 4 years. 

Just now, mr moose said:

The days of needing to upgdade your cpu every 2-3 years are gone my friend.  Even middle of the road cpus last 4 years. 

you don't need to do it, but that ever stopped anyone from doing it.

gotta get that extra 5fps over the 150 it was getting already ;-)

Just now, cj09beira said:

you don't need to do it, but that ever stopped anyone from doing it.

gotta get that extra 5fps over the 150 it was getting already ;-)

I'll admit hardcore enthusiasts/gamers will upgrade nearly every year regardless, but even that makes the argument of longer platform support kinda moot. Especialy with the kind of dollars they would be dropping over the course of that time. 

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That was true when AMD wasn't competitive, when/if Intel releases hexa core i5s then quad cores might not survive more than 3 years (you also have to keep in mind ryzen 3 owners).

24 minutes ago, mr moose said:

i7 2600k here.. upgraded from a fx 6300 3 months ago lol perf is night n day. especially in the godot game engine. previewing scenes went from 1500ms to 200ms or so. it's absolutely nuts

it's like going to a 144hz from 60hz. i don't want to go back

i however, still want to upgrade to coffeelake in the future maybe...

i bet all those reacted here wouldnt even buy it, unles you have some home business workstation need. I wouldnt buy it either but looks awesome indeed, earth to ryzen!