AMD shows off new Radeon RX Vega logo in their roadshow

YongKang
16 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

NV and Intel at least just release a ... product instead of ... teasing and roadshowing it for 6+ months before paper-launching it.

To be fair, a lot of the delay has been because of SK Hynix and their HBM2 supply.  Having said that, I'm right with you on them launching it.  I just want it to be out, so we can find out for certain what the performance will be.

13 hours ago, Humbug said:

he chooses to focus his channel on AMD coverage. But he calls it like he sees it and does criticize AMD.

In this case he has clearly presented his evidence that the  AMD GPU was performing better than Nvidia at the Budapest demo. You should look at thr same evidence and attack his arguements rather than him.

He actually mitigated his statement by saying that amd card was performing better than nvidia's but that it seemed like it was a 1070 instead of a 1080.

And he stated a few weeks ago that he doesn't think that Vega will come close to a 1080ti, based on Vega FE figures.

18 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Bits and Chips are extremely hopeful with Vega.

Have you found any more details on why they say that?

At least they succeeded if they try to sandbag it, because most of the hype is... well... dead! Not much people believe on it..

Personnally I can see it either a bit higher than 1080's like the FE or just a bit faster than a titan if their implementation of tiled based rendering and their driver taking advantage of their new geometry pipeline more than in the FE driver. Odds aren't in the favor or the best case, at least for 99% of people.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, Humbug said:

Previous high TDP AMD cards like Hawaii and Fiji would have easily hit 95 degrees C with a blower cooler under load.

While I agree that the stock Hawaii coolers were garbage, why did you mention Fiji? There were no Fiji cards with a blower cooler and none of those hit 95C under any cooler :o

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

On 7/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, ErrantNyles said:

Lets hope it performs as well

AMD Logos always overclock poorly and take at least 400 more watts then Nvidia logos.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

17 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

He actually mitigated his statement by saying that amd card was performing better than nvidia's but that it seemed like it was a 1070 instead of a 1080.

And he stated a few weeks ago that he doesn't think that Vega will come close to a 1080ti, based on Vega FE figures.

At least they succeeded if they try to sandbag it, because most of the hype is... well... dead! Not much people believe on it..

Personnally I can see it either a bit higher than 1080's like the FE or just a bit faster than a titan if their implementation of tiled based rendering and their driver taking advantage of their new geometry pipeline more than in the FE driver. Odds aren't in the favor or the best case, at least for 99% of people.

B&C has actual sources, though much more at the "discussion" rather than delivery level. His 16c, low SKU Threadripper at $850USD was on-point. We haven't seen it yet, but considering where the 12c & 16c prices came out at, he clearly has highly placed sources in AMD Europe (CPU side). Granted, RTG's Marketing approach is a mystery to just about everyone.

It should be noted, however, that it only matters how good the benchmarks come out for the price it launches. As much as the "tech sphere" drives a lot of discussion, "new & really good" sells. 

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

I know.

This just further illustrates my point that he calls it like he sees it.

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

While I agree that the stock Hawaii coolers were garbage, why did you mention Fiji? There were no Fiji cards with a blower cooler and none of those hit 95C under any cooler :o

Ya that's why I said would have.I was merely speaking hypothetically about how I would expect an imaginary Fury X to perform with a blower cooler. Given it's architecturally so similar to Hawai, and given the TDP and the same 28nm process. 

I agree the Fury range shipped with good cooling so props to AMD for that.

My point was that certain chips for whatever architectural reason or because of how the dies are laid out etc are just more efficient at dissipating their heat to the heatsink. Vega seems to be one such design which is very good at not retaining it's heat. Given the high TDP you would not expect Vega FE to run like this on a blower cooler.

in the CPU world you sometimes sees similar things. Compare Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge has a lower TDP. But given the same cooler and workload Sandy Bridge actually runs cooler because it is better at transferring it's heat from the chip to the heatsink (maybe because of the TIM used).

19 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Bits and Chips are extremely hopeful with Vega.

Although Vega has been underwhelming in gaming so far yes there is still a possibility that they are sandbagging.

Maybe not very likely but it is still possible based on what Raja said in his AMA.

RA2lover: What things does the RX Vega have over the Radeon Vega FE that would make it worth the extra wait?

Raja Koduri: RX will be fully optimized gaming drivers, as well as a few other goodies that I can’t tell you about just yet….

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

RA2lover: What things does the RX Vega have over the Radeon Vega FE that would make it worth the extra wait?

Raja Koduri: RX will be fully optimized gaming drivers, as well as a few other goodies that I can’t tell you about just yet….

4acf8e3cd0deb8722eab138d6c5878cd--cute-i

Dangle that carrot long enough and even the horse stops caring.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Dangle that carrot long enough and the horse stop caring.

Yep, many many people went ahead and bought GTX 1070s and 1080s because Vega is so late.

But still. Raja has a track record of telling the truth.

So at the very least I am interested to see what these 'fully optimized gaming drivers and extra goodies' bring to the table.

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Meh, I'm content to wait, since my R9 390 is still sufficient for me at this time.

same with my r9 290 vapor x.

their driver support is stellar which helps a lot. Hawai may be 4 years old but still handles modern AAA games well.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Meh, I'm content to wait, since my R9 390 is still sufficient for me at this time.

Hawaii is still decent tbf, a damn good architecture!

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

4acf8e3cd0deb8722eab138d6c5878cd--cute-i

Dangle that carrot long enough and even the horse stops caring.

The carrot itself stopped caring too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 hours ago, laminutederire said:

well the fe driver is not taking any advantage of the extra geometry (using fiji clock for clock in games as comparison) that should help a lot, the tiled based rasterizer should help reduce power by a unknown amount 

23 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

cock teasing and roadshowing it for 6+ months before paper-launching it.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in their toolbox/management meetings.  I have witnessed Managers getting their asses torn apart because product hasn't been ready for dispatch by only days. 

The whole AMD thing reminds me of those satire soaps where someone has to distract the inspector busy with mundane chit chat while they quickly hide the mess. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

well the fe driver is not taking any advantage of the extra geometry (using fiji clock for clock in games as comparison) that should help a lot, the tiled based rasterizer should help reduce power by a unknown amount 

Yeah I know it could be 50% faster for all we know with those features! Maxwell gained a lot with tiled based rendering.

They're genius marketers if they want to sandbag their card... because every outlet out there is saying their cards are cap and can't keep up with the 1080 and therefore would be far behind the Ti. The bar is very low regarding expectations thanks to a press quoting a reddit user.

Yet amd hasn't officially said much and it's like they said officially they won't target above 1080 performance. We'll see if they're geniuses when that get out!

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Yeah I know it could be 50% faster for all we know with those features! Maxwell gained a lot with tiled based rendering.

They're genius marketers if they want to sandbag their card... because every outlet out there is saying their cards are cap and can't keep up with the 1080 and therefore would be far behind the Ti. The bar is very low regarding expectations thanks to a press quoting a reddit user.

Yet amd hasn't officially said much and it's like they said officially they won't target above 1080 performance. We'll see if they're geniuses when that get out!

Seems like a pretty risky way to run a marketing campaign to me, lots of potential for a backfire and lost sales.  To me it looks more like a  "product not ready for market" campaign than anything.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Seems like a pretty risky way to run a marketing campaign to me, lots of potential for a backfire and lost sales.  To me it looks more like a  "product not ready for market" campaign than anything.

Well we don't really know anything... that's the point.

But it's shameful sometimes the press uses the argument: "no matter what amd does, Volta will stomp it". I saw that on a few articles about the Budapest event. I'm going like: "dude you trust the reddit guy and you speculate on Volta on which we don't know anything else Than its not that impressive... how can you keep credibility?"

The marketing is bad but so is part of the press,who amplifies it, to be fair.

6 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Well we don't really know anything... that's the point.

But it's shameful sometimes the press uses the argument: "no matter what amd does, Volta will stomp it". I saw that on a few articles about the Budapest event. I'm going like: "dude you trust the reddit guy and you speculate on Volta on which we don't know anything else Than its not that impressive... how can you keep credibility?"

The marketing is bad but so is part of the press,who amplifies it, to be fair.

I was only commenting on the idea that AMD might be pushing this type of marketing intentionally.   The media will always be the media and is, frankly, quite predictable in it's responses.

EDIT: meaning if the you and I can predict how the media is going to respond to reddit posts  etc, then you can bet your arse so can AMD.

I wonder how much Nvidia already knows how Vega will perform at least on current drivers. There are board partners like Asus, MSI etc who produce both AMD and Nvidia cards. These guys already have access to Rx Vega even if it is on non-final BIOS. Some individuals have probably leaked info already... Corporate espionage.

6 hours ago, Humbug said:

I wonder how much Nvidia already knows how Vega will perform at least on current drivers. There are board partners like Asus, MSI etc who produce both AMD and Nvidia cards. These guys already have access to Rx Vega even if it is on non-final BIOS. Some individuals have probably leaked info already... Corporate espionage.

My impression is the AMD & Nvidia know practically everything the other is up to, at least from comments from some of the reviewer-sphere.