Travelling to the US

Taskene

Howdy! I hope this is the right place for this question, if not I hope one of the friendly Mods could move it for me.

I'll be travelling to the USA from Australia in December, and intend on taking my laptop with me. I've heard rumours about the various things the TSA are empowered to do regarding tech and online activities, though I've not found any reliable source myself.

I understand that they'll want to see the device powered on, apparently to ensure that it's not just a dummy case with explosives or goodness knows what else stuffed in, but I've heard that they'll be asking about social media use and other online activities - as well as other 'theories' like cloning phone storage and the like.

Are these rumours true? How can I protect my stuff, and myself, against such eventualities?

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As long as you don't give TSA a reason to hate you, your chances of passing through without incident are very high.

So no bomb and terrorist jokes :/

Ask them on Instagram. They respond pretty well AFAIK. It's also hilarious to scroll through and see how many people unwittingly or intentionally try and bring their concealed carry pistols and knives on a plane. One guy even got given some cool old WWII grenades by a buddy for a souvenir. They stopped the poor guy, shut down the line, and the bomb guys found out they were still live! After being buried for 50 years!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

25 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As long as you don't give TSA a reason to hate you, your chances of passing through without incident are very high.

Especially being a native English speaker from a first world country 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

20 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

All in all though, I still believe the US has it easy when it comes to airport security comparatively speaking. Try going through Israel without knowing what to expect.

Yeah. IDK much about their airport security, but knowing how on guard they are, I can guess as to how strict they are. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. IDK much about their airport security, but knowing how on guard they are, I can guess as to how strict they are. 

I can give you the rundown:

• You get the usual personal scan (I think it was just a pat down and metal detector when I was there)
  • Your bags will be X-rayed and inspected
  • You will be questioned on why you were in the country and what you were doing there, several times.
    • I've been told if you answer any of your questions differently, they will hold you for more questioning.

This is before you can get your tickets.

I always dress conservatively when I go across the border from Canada to/from the States (in our case Michegan). I wear my teacher costume.  Smart phones? I remove any... errr... "art" photos or provocative social justice websites.  Anarchy NOW or POLITICAL stickers on my devices? FSM or religious imagery? Nope.  I use keepass to secure my sensitive material & sometimes remove it from the device (I keep an encrypted back-up copy on my cloud drives [access via a VPN if using coffee shop WiFi]).

No pot smoke in the car.  A messy car gets unwanted attention.  My passport's 100% up to date.  Professional personal grooming's a must.

Would I let the Canadian border or US inspectors open my phone?  I'm NOT a social justice warrior, and the border is not the place to STICK IT TO DA MAN.  Sure, I'd let them look at my phone. Before I reach the border, I'd strip it down to the bare-bones (ex., I'd empty my browser's history, unlink all cloud drives. I might even offload my phone directory). If I needed access to these files, I'd use a VPN (like Tunnel Bear) and upload it again.

I'm a white, middle-aged, married man.  High school teacher.  I don't get carded or other such nonsense.  Yep, I'm lucky (even I've had my car searched).

@Zando Bob has a valid point.  Contact border services FIRST.

I wouldn't be afraid to visit the states.  @Taskene... My 2 cents... Good luck, eh. 

BTW, here's a link to an article from our public radio broadcaster... Canadian Border Inspectors & Tech...

Edited by Guest
Wanted to add a URL as over-kill, eh.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

On our national public radio (CBC), there's a show called "Under The Influence", by Terry O'Reily. He tells a story of an Israeli custom's agent who checked a visitor's bags... the agent was then on the same Israeli flight.  The visitor noticed that.

If I lived in that part of the world, I'd be careful too.  Anyway, @Zando Bob, interesting point...

Sorta also depends on the specific airport. Am a native Georgian, the security in Hartsfield-Jackson ITNL is pretty tight with it being a pretty busy airport. Compare that to Manchester airport in NH, went up there once and the security was nonexistent when I got off the plane around 10 PM.

Basically, it's also a regional thing and depends on what airport you're going to land through, methinks.

1 hour ago, okie_dokie said:

Sorta also depends on the specific airport. Am a native Georgian, the security in Hartsfield-Jackson ITNL is pretty tight with it being a pretty busy airport. Compare that to Manchester airport in NH, went up there once and the security was nonexistent when I got off the plane around 10 PM.

Basically, it's also a regional thing and depends on what airport you're going to land through, methinks.

Well I'll be landing from Australia in LAX, then taking two connecting flights (because it's cheaper that way) through Salt Lake City and then to Denver.

3 minutes ago, Taskene said:

Well I'll be landing from Australia in LAX, then taking two connecting flights (because it's cheaper that way) through Salt Lake City and then to Denver.

Come see me lol, I'm in reno :P

I like aussies :) 

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

And this is how Yoshi ends up with a few grand's worth of disposable income, and you, my friend, end up with a nasty hangover and case of "huh, where'd I leave the other kidney?"

sorry

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

And this is how Yoshi ends up with a few grand's worth of disposable income, and you, my friend, end up with a nasty hangover and case of "huh, where'd I leave the other kidney?"

sorry

Given how much crap I push through my kidneys, I doubt they'd be worth much on the black market.

Just now, Taskene said:

Given how much crap I push through my kidneys, I doubt they'd be worth much on the black market.

You'd be surprised what the Vietnamese would consider an aphrodisiac.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

3 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

sorry

Good thing I'm not that kind of person. And disposable income? I work for freakin elon musk lol

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Good thing I'm not that kind of person. And disposable income? I work for freakin elon musk lol

Could be for sport, who knows? I won't judge.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

22 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

and stuff might happenTM

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'm too gay to function

arent we all?

eyes emoji here and a bad inside joke

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

You'll be fine, I've travelled between the two many times and the TSA really aren't bothered with laptops. Everyone has one. 

In regards to social media, depends on your citizenship and travel history. Applying for a business visa last month I was asked to provide social media history and 10 years of travel history (including all flights and hotels) due to (I suspect, no real reason was given) having an Iranian visa in my passport, I declined and took my business elsewhere.

If you're applying for a visa waiver, you won't have any problems unless you're a citizen of one of the countries in the moronic travel ban.