Logitech Buys Gaming Headset Company Astro for $85 Million

Max_Settings

Logitech is buying headset manufacturer Astro, for $85 Million in an all cash deal. No news on whether Logitech will keep the Astro brand or merge their products in with their own

https://www.cnet.com/news/logitech-buys-headset-maker-astro-gaming/

Logitech is one of the best-known brands of keyboards, mice, headphones and webcams, whether you're a gamer or not. 

Now, Logitech's carving a deeper niche in the gaming peripheral market -- by purchasing headset maker Astro Gaming for $85 million in an all-cash deal.

See you soon.

5 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Logitech is buying headset manufacturer Astro, for $85 Million in an all cash deal. No news on whether Logitech will keep the Astro brand or merge their products in with their own

https://www.cnet.com/news/logitech-buys-headset-maker-astro-gaming/

Maybe this means Astro will be the gaming brand and then logitech will be the good looking cousin.  I feel like lodgitech missed out on a larger market by making their headsets so ugly.

1 Timothy 1:15

1 hour ago, f22luke said:

Maybe this means Astro will be the gaming brand and then logitech will be the good looking cousin.  I feel like lodgitech missed out on a larger market by making their headsets so ugly.

I don't see why they needed to buy another company to do that.

Just now, BachChain said:

You can either:

Develop a product, market and sell it, OR buy another company that already did that. Saves a lot of money in the long run however the initial cost it high.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

2 hours ago, BachChain said:

astro is a more well known and respected brand among console users than logitech, especially in the COD and Halo circles. Along with the hardware they bought their way to being in the top 3 for console accessories. 

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

17 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

See you soon.

tumblr_lj57goZvBh1qdjdp1o1_500.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It only cost them $85 million, which is crazy. Logitech is now a huge player in console eSports scene.

I would've loved to have seen $85 million in all cash! How many handcuffed suitcases?

8 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Isn't Astro the Beats of gaming headsets?

Well to be honest all gaming headsets are Beats-like, cheap construction, poor sound quality bundled with sound surround software to make it sound "better". The only decent gaming headsets are from HyperX Cloud series (rebranded Takstar Pro 80), Audio Technica (rebranded ATH-AD700/900X), Sennheiser (rebranded HD5xx?) and maybe some others, this is because they are just rebranded audiophile/studio headphones with a boom mic attached with some decoration, though it is much cheaper if you just get the originals and buy a mic separately.

What set "gaming headsets" and actual headphones apart is that these headphones can produce the illusion of surround sound on their own without software.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

5 hours ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

I would've loved to have seen $85 million in all cash! How many handcuffed suitcases?

It wasn't literal physical cash, it just means that they bought it outright.  No stock options or such, just a straight up purchase.

I would have thought astro was worth more than that....

First Saitek, now Astro. I feel like Logitech is beefing up their presence in console gaming and simulators. Logitech has been notorious with good build quality on their mice and keyboards. I don't see anything too wrong with this, just a good investment on Logitech's part. Logitech also has a lot more money help in R&D compared to just Astro. It's a win-win for both companies (imho).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

On 12/07/2017 at 10:26 AM, Vargi said:

see you on WAN show

On 12/07/2017 at 10:47 AM, Max_Settings said:

I hope so that would be cool 

Rekt!! 

A repost made it on rather than your Topic xDxD 

Could be his topic was on the first page.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Could be his topic was on the first page.

I was hoping @LinusTech did a little more research than that to be sure he was giving proper credit

Seems like logitech buys another company every year

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Thank god. Maybe Astros quality can improve now... xD

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Wow, i'm surprised logitech went with this deal. Their own headphones are decent for the price already, i don't get why they just didn't go with their own products and add a little more RND. Now they got even more overhead cost to handle and if they decide to absorb the Astro brand into their own and ditch the name, then it kinda become moot.

10 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Wow, i'm surprised logitech went with this deal. Their own headphones are decent for the price already, i don't get why they just didn't go with their own products and add a little more RND. Now they got even more overhead cost to handle and if they decide to absorb the Astro brand into their own and ditch the name, then it kinda become moot.

Aparently, according to Linus on the WAN show, they will keep the Astro brand name alive, the products will exist alongside Logitech products.

It makes sense from a business perspective if Astro has a good market share. It doesnt matter if their products are inferior to Logitech products. At least Astro can benefit from the Logitech research and know-how.

It is like how Procter&Gamble own 5+ different laundry detergent brands. They are all P&G, so they dont care which one you buy. It is just the illusion of choice. They market each one to a slightly different market (1 for white laundry, one for colors, one with a fresher scent, etc. etc.) Similarly Logitech can market the Astro brand to console gamers and e-sports, and the Logitech brand for PC gaming (for example).