Is there any difference in GPUs if u watercool?

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
Just now, Mister_Cro_Noob said:

When you have water cooling you can overclock the gpu and gain a small performance boost.

He's talking about different cards watercooled, not air cooled vs watercooled.

And no, there is pretty much no difference because with 1000 series cards they're all limited by the silicon lottery, not how many power phases the PCB has.

Assuming u have 2 of the same GPUs (for exaple a 1070)

Both watercooled with full cover blocks

But the first is the MSI Armor one and the second is a "fancier" more expensive  FTW2 GAMING iCX-9.

Are they going to have differences in performance? 
In other words

Why pay more if u are already going to throw away the stock cooler and put a waterblock? What are the differences?

Just to clear things out, i am not talking about water vs. air. Its about Cheap 1070 (450-480 USD) vs Expensive 1070 (500+ USD), if both are cooled by a full cover waterblock

Edited by Simon Heat
explaining the question

1 minute ago, Simon Heat said:

Assuming u have 2 of the same GPUs (for exaple a 1070)

Both watercooled with full cover blocks

But the first is the MSI Armor one and the second is a "fancier" more expensive  FTW2 GAMING iCX-9.

Are they going to have differences in performance? 
In other words

Why pay more if u are already going to throw away the stock cooler and put a waterblock? What are the differences?

When you have water cooling you can overclock the gpu and gain a small performance boost.

if you are watercooling the VRM matters a bit more seeing as you can push more voltage and reach higher clock speeds with your GPU but if you dont plan on overclocking(then why watercool at all...) then it dosent matter much and the MSI Armor 1080 is a pretty good candidate to do just this on seeing as it has the same VRM as the more expensive Gameing X card lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If going water, only card worth buying is Reference / Founders Edition.  OC-ability is the same nowadays for all NV boards and the main differentiator is cooler design, which you'd be throwing away anyways.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, Mister_Cro_Noob said:

He's talking about different cards watercooled, not air cooled vs watercooled.

And no, there is pretty much no difference because with 1000 series cards they're all limited by the silicon lottery, not how many power phases the PCB has.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Mister_Cro_Noob said:

you can overclock either way, you dont need watercooling to overclock. anyway what i think you are getting at is that you can potentially reach higher clocks because heat isnt an issue anymore

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think by-far the biggest difference will be if the chips have been binned, then overclocking may be easier. Secondly powerdelivery may be better in the higher end cards.

But as others have said, it makes only a small difference if any,

Only reason to get higher end card to watercool is to get upgrade power phases and more power headroom for overclocking. However do note that when overclocking a SLI config, the setup is stuck at the stable speed of the weaker GPU. So lets say that you tried overclocking both 1070s outside of SLI and one was  stable at 2000mhz and the other was only stable at 1900mhz, when you SLI them the config will only be stable at 1900mhz.

2 minutes ago, Mister_Cro_Noob said:

Watercooling isn't necessary for overclocking, but it'll result in better cooling allowing you to use higher voltages before the card overheats and throttles.

I've heard a few reputable reviewers recently say they haven't been bothering with graphics card reviews because they're all cap out in a fairly tight range, basically any 1070 you get will perform about on par with any other, the main difference is how much noise it makes and how well the cooler performs

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W