Western Digital launches a Hybrid Drive. SSHD

kuddlesworth9419

It is about time that WD releases their own SSHD. I for one have been looking forward to a WD SSHD in quite some time. 

http://uk.hardware.info/news/37896/wd-black2-combined-hard-drive-and-ssd

post-15026-0-18396100-1385377355.jpg

post-15026-0-68689100-1385377361.jpg

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

299 euros? A SSD and HDD is cheaper. But it's in a smaller form factor, so it'd cost more.

Well, I thought it would just be a Momentous XT, but damn a a HDD and SSD as separately addressable volumes in 9mm is fancy!

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

That's way better than Seagates, but dat price....

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I think we need to come up with better names than just SSHD because there are now different classes of SSHDs, I just expected this to be caching like the others.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

looks like sexy :D feels like wallet though :| 

Character artist in the Games industry.

That's way better than Seagates, but dat price....

The price is high probably because it performs better then the competition. Actually it will perform better. Seagate's SSHD's have a much smaller SSD cache of 8GB I think. So 120GB is a huge step up.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I guess I can't use this on my ps4 as its 2 disks

Aselwyn1

$150 dollars worth of drives for $300 ??? So basically you're paying double for the convience of using 1 drive bay instead of 2. Not to mention both the hard drive and ssd are mediocre at best. No thanks, i'd rather put $150 towards a better laptop that can hold 2 drives.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

So....much...money....

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

If the price goes down, this would be really good choice for laptops which doesn't have the ability to have two drives. However the price is too high for what it is. I would rather go for 500Gb Samsung Evo SSD which is actually cheaper than the WD hybrid drive.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Personally I don't really see the point of something like this as most small laptops have an mSATA slot in them so you can fit a much cheaper SSD in there instead without needing another 2.5" slot.

For 300 dollars, I'd rather use all SSDs as my storage and get another one with high capacity and use my current one strictly for games.

I didn't see this post and tried posting almost the same thing.

They say that this isn't a Hybrid Drive, but 2 individual drives in one chassis.

Here is the article I had posted on my FB

http://www.maximumpc.com/wd_unveils_black_squared_dual_drive2013

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

too expensive. for that money, i can get a 2tb 2.5 hdd and a 120gb m-sata drive. also i need it to work on linux without additional software.

but i have to admit that it looks nice. the only way for it to work is to come at the same price as the hdd and ssd combined.

the man in black

The only use I see for this is maybe for laptops/ultrabooks.

And even then, it would be MUCH better value to just grab a SSHD or heck, even a good capacity SSD is better value for money than that.

The only use I see for this is maybe for laptops/ultrabooks.

And even then, it would be MUCH better value to just grab a SSHD or heck, even a good capacity SSD is better value for money than that.

To be honest, it does have its place. I know its more expensive, but think of say a laptop that only has ONE drive bay, and can't take an m-sata? This would actually be perfect in that situation.

worth it in my opinion.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

software needed to work ... meh ... keep it

... i need it to work on linux without additional software....

I don't know where you are getting that software is needed to use the two separate drives...

The disk comes complete with a SATA to USB 3.0 kit and a web key for downloading software you can use for converting your current hard disk to the new dual drive.

Software is for migrating from the old hard drive (with the usb 3.0 kit).  

edit: additionally, software used to "unlock" second partition of hard drive containing the 1TB storage.  This is NOT A DRIVER. 

My Rigs (past and present)