What Car Should I Get For Under $70,000?

Max_Settings

My last thoughts for a fast/cool/daily would be a M3 or a Audi S4

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

3 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Nothing just from a performance standpoint it lags behind the Ford focus RS by a lot. They need to completely revamp it in my view.

I guess that's where we differ. I find the Subie feels like a sports car. The Focus may look better on paper, but when it comes to the experience you get from driving each, nothing compares to the feel of an STI. 

I also hate ford. And BMW, and Audi. So we're not gonna agree much.

Also I want a revamped STI, but that's coming in 2020

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

5 minutes ago, Statik said:

What's wrong with Subies?

Ringlands and headgaskets. The new STI uses a 20 year old engine with bandaid fixes that still have issues. Too much boyracer stigma (for me) and its a sedan. 

In that price range I'd get a Golf R over all the competition in the awd "hothatch" segment. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

23 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Like I have told other users I am not interesting in getting a cheap car and modding it, I don't want a drag car.

Take a look at the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider if you haven't already.

27 minutes ago, vetali said:

Ringlands and headgaskets. The new STI uses a 20 year old engine with bandaid fixes that still have issues. Too much boyracer stigma (for me) and its a sedan. 

In that price range I'd get a Golf R over all the competition in the awd "hothatch" segment. 

Subaru's are well known for their outstanding reliability. I'm not saying the engine doesn't need an update (new one coming in 2020 model), but it's still a phenomenal. It's drive-ability and feel is above the rest in it's league. As well as Subaru is known for having pretty much the best AWD system money can buy. It's built and tuned to drive, and respond like a sports car, where lots of vehicles like the RS, and R just feel like their regular counter parts, with some more juice under the hood.

Subaru is not known for engine problems, and the vast majority of problems that come from headgaskets, and/or ringlands are from people who don't know how to drive, and causing undue stress on the car.

Just because you feel a car has a "boy racer" stigma doesn't mean it's as "hot as a can of axe". Subies are still phenomenal vehicles, and the STI is still an outstanding sports car for it's price range.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

19 minutes ago, LegendKillerRG said:

Thats a track car.

31 minutes ago, LegendKillerRG said:

WAY too small for a daily car. 

18 minutes ago, Statik said:

Subaru's are well known for their outstanding reliability. I'm not saying the engine doesn't need an update (new one coming in 2020 model), but it's still a phenomenal. It's drive-ability and feel is above the rest in it's league. As well as Subaru is known for having pretty much the best AWD system money can buy. It's built and tuned to drive, and respond like a sports car, where lots of vehicles like the RS, and R just feel like their regular counter parts, with some more juice under the hood.

Subaru is not known for engine problems, and the vast majority of problems that come from headgaskets, and/or ringlands are from people who don't know how to drive, and causing undue stress on the car.

Just because you feel a car has a "boy racer" stigma doesn't mean it's as "hot as a can of axe". Subies are still phenomenal vehicles, and the STI is still an outstanding sports car for it's price range.

Eh...but it's still a Subaru. I was looking for something with a high end name, like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Tesla, etc...

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

My last thoughts for a fast/cool/daily would be a M3 or a Audi S4

I am going to look at used M4s, and RS 3s

19 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Eh...but it's still a Subaru. I was looking for something with a high end name, like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Tesla, etc...

You do you then. I really can't stand brand name cars (you're not getting a Tesla for 70 grand btw buds). And keep in mind that with brandname priced cars come brandnamed price maintenance. 

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

You do you then. I really can't stand brand name cars (you're not getting a Tesla for 70 grand btw buds). And keep in mind that with brandname priced cars come brandnamed price maintenance. 

I was looking at used Teslas, But I never said anything about "brand name" I said higher end name. Obviously Subaru is a brand name

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I was looking at used Teslas, But I never said anything about "brand name" I said higher end name. Obviously Subaru is a brand name

Fair enough, just make sure you get good inspections and thoroughly test drive cars. 

What I mean by "brand name" is cars where you're essentially paying for the name. BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Sure they're all nice cars, but they're extremely expensive to own, and operate, and maintain for what they are. They're more of a fashion/money statement to me than they are nice vehicles. But again, everyone has their own opinions from what they want from a vehicle.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

Fair enough, just make sure you get good inspections and thoroughly test drive cars. 

What I mean by "brand name" is cars where you're essentially paying for the name. BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Sure they're all nice cars, but they're extremely expensive to own, and operate, and maintain for what they are. They're more of a fashion/money statement to me than they are nice vehicles. But again, everyone has their own opinions from what they want from a vehicle.

It's more than the name, it's the quality. A BMW is far nicer than a Subaru, name aside 

21 minutes ago, Statik said:

They aren't nearly outstandingly reliable. From my anecdotal evidence to fact based. I've diagnosed lots of Subaru headgaskets well before 120k miles which I find unacceptable, waterpumps that prematurely leak before timing belt service is due, oil leaks from various orifices aside from the headgaskets, lots of CV axle repairs, and complaints of driveline windup.

Subaru's AWD system isn't actually the best out there, nor advanced. It's also dated. Modern AWD systems use a torque vectoring systems with electromagnetic clutches to drive power to individual wheels that need power or grip, rather the Subaru system is limited to vectoring power to a differential through a viscous coupling. Which this setup has been used for ever in most AWD cars.

27 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I am going to look at used M4s, and RS 3s

Seems weird you went from wanting a ZL1 to looking at RS3s with 1/2 the HP. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Just now, vetali said:

They aren't nearly outstandingly reliable. From my anecdotal evidence to fact based. I've diagnosed lots of Subaru headgaskets well before 120k miles which I find unacceptable, waterpumps that prematurely leak before timing belt service is due, oil leaks from various orifices aside from the headgaskets, lots of CV axle repairs, and complaints of driveline windup.

Subaru's AWD system isn't actually the best out there, nor advanced. It's also dated. Modern AWD systems use a torque vectoring systems with electromagnetic clutches to drive power to individual wheels that need power or grip, rather the Subaru system is limited to vectoring power to a differential through a viscous coupling. Which this setup has been used for ever in most AWD cars.

Seems weird you went from wanting a ZL1 to looking at RS3s with 1/2 the HP. 

Not really half. RS3 has 400, ZL1 has 650. RS3 does 0-60 in 3.9s, ZL1 does 0-60 in 3.5s. The thing I like about the RS 3, which honestly I have never even looked at before this thread, is that it is still very fast, yet it is WAY more practical than a ZL1, because it is a 4 door sedan, and it has a lot more comfort features and technology.

It's more than the name, it's the quality. A BMW is far nicer than a Subaru, name aside 

All I'm saying is for what they are they're not as good in my opinion. I was going to go to school for mechanics, and my very close god father is a mechanic who has done extensive work with the big name car companies (i.e. BMW, Mercedes, etc). Yes, they're built for comfort, and to show off an expensive, smooth ride. And they do. They do that well.

I'm not saying they're bad vehicles. All I'm trying to explain to you is, that I personally look for engineering in vehicles. I like sports cars, that aren't exotic, and are awesome pieces of machinery (i.e. Evo, STI, GTR, Supra, Skyline, etc). And from my personal experience with the high name companies, you're extra money isn't going to that. It's going for bells and whistles that IMO are stupid and overpriced, and the cost to maintain them, or god forbid repair them is absolutely insane.

You also can't necessarily say that something like BMW is "better" flatout. In what way? How it rides? yeah, sure probably. But there's such a wide variety in how they ride (i.e. an outback will feel way different from an STI, like an i8 is going to feel different from an x5). But are you talking in regards to reliability? Control? That's a completely different story on which is "better" ;)

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Not really half. RS3 has 400, ZL1 has 650. RS3 does 0-60 in 3.9s, ZL1 does 0-60 in 3.5s. The thing I like about the RS 3, which honestly I have never even looked at before this thread, is that it is still very fast, yet it is WAY more practical than a ZL1, because it is a 4 door sedan, and it has a lot more comfort features and technology.

Some reason I read in the 300s, must of been a bad source.

But yeah, the RS3 would be a ton more practical than a ZL1... plus you can actually see out of it. I also think the RS3s look really sharp.

Just now, vetali said:

Some reason I read in the 300s, must of been a bad source.

But yeah, the RS3 would be a ton more practical than a ZL1... plus you can actually see out of it. I also think the RS3s look really sharp.

Yeah as of right now on paper, RS3 is my #1, but I still have to go drive them. However this is the first model year of the new design, and I have no issue waiting to get a car, I have the funds, but am in no rush. So I might sit back for 9 months or so and see how the depreciation gods take a hit on that and see what a used one goes for,

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

I don't know if you've every driven an AWD Subaru in the snow, but during east coast snowstorms they're some of the only vehicles you see on the road. My personal experience with Subaru has been rather positive. As well a lot of it has to do with how you treat your vehicle. The average person who isn't "into" cars, treats their vehicle like shit, which leads to the vast majority of problems. 

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

13 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Actually, I also could get a loaded Tesla Model 3

What you mean to say is you can get on the Waiting list for a model 3 :) 

2 hours ago, Statik said:

What's wrong with Subies?

You can't pull up to business meetings with a big spoiler and gold rims, mate sold his STi for a Merc c class as he runs his own business and even said he just couldn't rock up in a suit to meetings in that car. That car is for the Head of a IT dept, not a business man.

35 minutes ago, Statik said:

All I'm saying is for what they are they're not as good in my opinion. I was going to go to school for mechanics, and my very close god father is a mechanic who has done extensive work with the big name car companies (i.e. BMW, Mercedes, etc). Yes, they're built for comfort, and to show off an expensive, smooth ride. And they do. They do that well.

I'm not saying they're bad vehicles. All I'm trying to explain to you is, that I personally look for engineering in vehicles. I like sports cars, that aren't exotic, and are awesome pieces of machinery (i.e. Evo, STI, GTR, Supra, Skyline, etc). And from my personal experience with the high name companies, you're extra money isn't going to that. It's going for bells and whistles that IMO are stupid and overpriced, and the cost to maintain them, or god forbid repair them is absolutely insane.

You also can't necessarily say that something like BMW is "better" flatout. In what way? How it rides? yeah, sure probably. But there's such a wide variety in how they ride (i.e. an outback will feel way different from an STI, like an i8 is going to feel different from an x5). But are you talking in regards to reliability? Control? That's a completely different story on which is "better" ;)

Dude I'm a big Subaru fan, I've owned a 2002 WRX and a 2005 STi as well as a few Outbacks in between, I grew up with STi's on my wall and am contemplating one as a rally build here in NZ. 

BUT and this is a HUGE but.. Post 2010 you would be an idiot to buy one, It has completely lost its performance edge by them trying to catch up to the Audi's/Merc's for comfort and features and its kept its horrible interiors material wise so it doesn't do ether well, not to mention that they seem to not know what Technology is so the new models are all soft to appeal to guys like me who love them but need someone more grow up and has no tech wizzardy to turn it back into a track terror. If you want a project car or a track toy, a cheap Pre 2010 subaru is amazing, anything after that is fat lazy and horrible on fuel. 

And sorry but just looking at the Audi range for example as I know them best, nothing subaru has can match them in performance in the same class. and the Subaru AWD system is so dated it's fallen behind Quattro, the Engines are pre historic bordering American. 

If you look for engineering than you would be all over the Audis, Magnetic smart suspension, LED headlights, the Variable steering rack that maintains hydro feel but been assisted, The level of engineering uses to make a 2.0T push out the numbers it does. a V8 that revs to nearly 10K.. dude these are amazing engineering feats. 

And yes you can easily say that the Audi is Better lets compare top model 4 door salon vs top model 4 door salon.

S4 V6 Super charged at 360bhp Vs 2.5T flat 4 Turbo @ 305 BHP.

both AWD.  

Audi : 30 MPG : STi -  27 That is a V6 Supercharged been more fuel efficient that a flat 4. 

Features: not even going to both here as audi destroys it. 

8 speed Tiptronic vs 6 Speed Manuel

price difference $10 000, so its not even as big as you would think. 

its more comfortable, more kitted, Better fuel economy, better gearboxes, better AWD systems, the only place we can't argue is styling as that is personal and the Audi will run rings around the STi on the track and at the drags. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Porsche Cayman or Boxster, depending on your roof preference. You'll be looking at a used one for decent spec, but at least that will still have the 6 cylinder engine.

On 6/27/2017 at 7:33 PM, yathis said:

LMFAO is this a joke?

Buy a HumVee

Armored? ...or stupid?

There are issues with mercedes cheating in euro tests, well i do not know if this is true now i need confirmation

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol