Camaro ss for a teen

Go to solution Solved by Aytex,
18 minutes ago, Statik said:

OP I also want to ask, in what place does a 15 year old legally drive at 15? I'm under the impression it's 16 in the majority of the world. And what do you do that allows you to drive a 800hp car for at 2 hours a day? 

I mean, why do celebs buy Lamborghini to go like 1 mile. same reason usually, "I have a cool car"

I think some people here are in denial that this dude has rich parents that can provide this type of stuff for their children.

I mean if I was in your same situation I would say hell yea. 

And yeah there are better ways to invest your money if you were able to use the money your parents were using.

2 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

I prefer auto

That is the saddest thing I've read in this thread.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

6 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

That is the saddest thing I've read in this thread.

How?

i'll be waiting for an answer

6 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

How?

i'll be waiting for an answer

If you don't even know why thats bad that you are beyond help. 

@TheGhzGuy Lets be honest. This kid is not a car guy, he's a rich boy with daddies credit card.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

If you don't even know why thats bad that you are beyond help. 

@TheGhzGuy Lets be honest. This kid is not a car guy, he's a rich boy with daddies credit card.

Ohh i get it...your are one of those... you think cause you drive a manual you are "superior" to every other car guy and think people who drive automatics cant call themselves a "car guy" and i dont use my dads credit card (i have my own) and i wouldnt consider my self rich

20 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

I prefer auto

You may prefer a more practical car, in that case. A Subaru Forester or Crosstrek would certainly make you the best friend of sports car owners when their beer coolers and gear won't fit in their cars. A Ford Focus is also a good choice, being reasonably quick (the Ecoboost may be a little too much engine), easy to drive, and practical.

You may even prefer to go the luxury route with something like a used Lincoln MKZ for under $20K. Even in stop and go traffic, you would still be living the good life, and the hybrid models means you needn't suffer the inconvenience of filling up for a very long while. If you live in the big city, luxury would probably be preferable over power anyway. You can enjoy the luxury for the entire time you're in the car. Power, not so much.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

How?

Personally, I feel that driving a manual is a far more engaging expirience. Makes a slower vehicle like mine enjoyable to drive. Comes with the added benefit of not being able to text and drive (at least in lower speed situations and "stop and go" traffic) It has helped me learn more as a driver too. 

If I were getting a car with that much power, I should be getting as much fun as I can possibly get out of the vehicle. If I can't, then I'd rather go to the same road or track with something like my dad's old Probe or 9-3 Hatch. Are either of those the best cars? Nope! Are they the most fun I could have? Nope! (Would probably come from an FRS, BRZ, Miata, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, or something else like it) But on the plus side, I get to push the cars and chose how I want to go around the track, rather than mash my right foot and have a computer do all the other work for me. 

Do I hate automatics? Nope! I drive one in my family's Equinox quite often, and it makes city driving more tolerable. But I'd take my rough shifting in my Subaru over the Equinox due to the smile I have when I exit my vehicle. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

so so true. My first road card was a slow as hell subaru Station wagon, And I Loved it, loaded up all my mates for festivals and LAN's. got rear ended in a parking lot, Meh. had a trolly lam into the side door. and took it to the park and did some handbrake turns at like 10km/h laughing my head off. Bettsy the Beast was such a great car. Best first car

Thats hillarious, my first car was a subaru station wagon as well. 2000 outback to be precise.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

18 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

I prefer auto

If I were you: I'd take a step back, take a nice long breath, and ask yourself "am I a true car enthusiast? Do I crave the sensation of driving? Or do I just want a status symbol?" 

I guarantee you 95% of real enthusiasts would rather have a manual because it connects you with the car, with the act of driving. The other 5% are most likely hardcore drag racers where autos rule.

And ya, I DD an auto Chevy SS (not the Camaro). Would I prefer a manual? Hell ya. But I also drive an hour to work and back in traffic everyday so I opted for an auto. The mere fact that I chose an auto still eats away at me even though I know it was the right choice.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Just now, bob345 said:

Thats hillarious, my first car was a subaru station wagon as well. 2000 outback to be precise.

Lucky.. i had a 2000 Legacy GX in Grandpa Silver ;)  next one up was a 2004 Outback to tow the Track cars :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Lucky.. i had a 2000 Legacy GX in Grandpa Silver ;)  next one up was a 2004 Outback to tow the Track cars :P 

My God, this has turned into a Subaru circle jerk. 

Not that that's a bad thing. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

My God, this has turned into a Subaru circle jerk. 

Not that that's a bad thing. 

hahahaha I'd rather that than listen to a 14yr old who is the next James hunt. 

Also at least we not saying they are the worlds best cars. 

So important question.. what subaru you owned :P 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

2 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

If I were you: I'd take a step back, take a nice long breath, and ask yourself "am I a true car enthusiast? Do I crave the sensation of driving? Or do I just want a status symbol?" 

I guarantee you 95% of real enthusiasts would rather have a manual because it connects you with the car, with the act of driving. The other 5% are most likely hardcore drag racers where autos rule.

And ya, I DD an auto Chevy SS (not the Camaro). Would I prefer a manual? Hell ya. But I also drive an hour to work and back in traffic everyday so I opted for an auto. The mere fact that I chose an auto still eats away at me even though I know it was the right choice.

Every car enthusiasts has their own opinion and preference. manuals are fun, but so are autos. Manuals make you feel like one with the car but me personally i prefer auto

Just now, Not_Sean said:

hahahaha I'd rather that than listen to a 14yr old who is the next James hunt. 

Also at least we not saying they are the worlds best cars. 

So important question.. what subaru you owned :P 

*Currently own

Currently it's a 2009 Subaru Legacy Special Edition with 190,000 miles on the clock. I bought it for 3,600. Kinda regret it due to the repairs and how long they took, but at the same time it's a good vehicle to learn with. So I'm happy my chance of sliding into a tree is reduced. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

2 hours ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Which gen? I know the newest ones produced 210 hp, 235 lb-ft with the V6 and 230-260 hp on the V8, depending on the model I think.

2nd. Thing is, the engine was hella fucked up and produced more horsepower than it should have. It would make it to 115K miles before shredding itself, and a not so cool $4K later, I've still got my first vehicle in decent condition.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I live in America, and I still don't understand why people want muscle cars (other than preconceived notions or not shopping around). They're not agile in the slightest, they're not luxurious, they're not particularly cheap, they're RWD, and they don't accelerate well. I'd take a $35k A4 over a $33k Mustang GT any day -- and wouldn't regret it for a second. It handles significantly better, it has a much nicer interior, it has an amazing AWD system, and it feels faster. 

It depends on your muscle car. Generally speaking, they're favorable because they're fun to drive. Also, the whole 'they don't accelerate well' depends on what models and engines you get.

Not all muscle cars are RWD. The Dodge Charger takes both the title of being the only muscle sedan AND the only AWD muscle car.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Statik said:

I asked where, because I don't know of anywhere that lets 15 year olds drive. Where are you from?

I don't know of anywhere in the U.S. where you need to be older than 15 to get a learner's permit. With a learner's permit, you need a licensed adult over 21 to ride in the passenger seat, but you still get to be behind the wheel.

I used to be quite active here.

6 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

I can hardly drive autos anymore. The moment I get in a car, my left foot goes for the (non-existant?) clutch pedal. Instead of downshifting for an upcoming hill, I instead put the auto into Neutral by mistake (as the same motion for a 4-3 shift, will put an auto into neutral).

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Drak3 said:

2nd. Thing is, the engine was hella fucked up and produced more horsepower than it should have. It would make it to 115K miles before shredding itself, and a not so cool $4K later, I've still got my first vehicle in decent condition.

It depends on your muscle car. Generally speaking, they're favorable because they're fun to drive. Also, the whole 'they don't accelerate well' depends on what models and engines you get.

Not all muscle cars are RWD. The Dodge Charger takes both the title of being the only muscle sedan AND the only AWD muscle car.

That's really weird but also pretty cool at the same time. Reminds me of my friend who didn't put enough oil in his Saturn SC2 and had the engine seize on a South Carolina highway. Was 3-4 grand to fix it, so that was great. He bought a Smart Car of all things afterwards. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I drove the standard V8 Mustang GT and I'd neither consider it fast nor fun to drive. It felt like a cumbersome truck when doing anything other than going in a straight line, it felt incredibly heavy/unresponsive struggling to get off the line, and it felt slower than a 2012 A4 (which is a noticeably slower car, the A4 getting to 60 in >6 seconds while the GT gets to 60 in <4.5 seconds). 

Fair point, although I wouldn't expect the charger to handle much better than a Mustang GT.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

If I were getting a car with that much power, I should be getting as much fun as I can possibly get out of the vehicle.

Yeah, you're not with a half way decent car made in the past 10 years that offers both auto and manual trannies. They're all computerized "manual," and factory settings, it's hard to beat them, unless you're towing and there is no tow/haul or auto4/5/6 option.

3 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

That's really weird but also pretty cool at the same time.

Not really. I knew it was a junker motor, nice truck. I just thought it would outlast a Dodge Tranny that consistantly dies at 150K or so, and I'd replace both the V8 Mag and the tranny for a straight 6, V10 Mag, or Cummins Turbo. Didn't quite work out that way, and actually, there is a shop that specializes in those types of swaps. Would have saved money having them put in a brand new Cummins and tranny, albeit only a few hundred.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I drove the standard V8 Mustang GT and I'd neither consider it fast nor fun to drive. It felt like a cumbersome truck when doing anything other than going in a straight line, it felt incredibly heavy/unresponsive struggling to get off the line, and it felt slower than a much slower 2012 A4.

Might just be the specific model then. One of my neighbors drives a V8 Stang, fast motherfucker and handles significantly better than any other car on the block.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Fair point, although I wouldn't expect the charger to handle much better than a Mustang GT.

Going from 4x2 to 4x4 can make quite a difference

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I can hardly drive autos anymore. The moment I get in a car, my left foot goes for the (non-existant?) clutch pedal. Instead of downshifting for an upcoming hill, I instead put the auto into Neutral by mistake (as the same motion for a 4-3 shift, will put an auto into neutral).

Ya my left foot is bored at all times, but sitting in stop-and-go traffic with a clutch is also maddening. IDK, for me it was a 50/50 decision on principle, but then when I started seriously looking for SS's the complete lack of manual availability made the decision for me. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

5 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Ya my left foot is bored at all times, but sitting in stop-and-go traffic with a clutch is also maddening. IDK, for me it was a 50/50 decision on principle, but then when I started seriously looking for SS's the complete lack of manual availability made the decision for me. 

My principle is the only computer that should be making shifts is the one behind the steering wheel. I've only driven autos before buying my Mazda, and it was a bit of a hassle to have it in the gear I want for a given hill or section.

My eyes see the past…

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Might just be the specific model then. One of my neighbors drives a V8 Stang, fast motherfucker and handles significantly better than any other car on the block.

Going from 4x2 to 4x4 can make quite a difference

It's loud and it's fast on paper, but it certainly feels noticeably slower than a much slower A4. And in terms of handling, it was just pathetic.

I know very well how much of a difference AWD vs. RWD can make -- that would help with the handling (to an extent anyway), but it wouldn't help with much else (unless you lose traction with the RWD car, which I wasn't).

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

My principle is the only computer that should be making shifts is the one behind the steering wheel.

Eh, I drive an auto and 95% of the time I'm glad about that as I don't want to be bothered shifting most of the time. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not a good idea..

AFAIK teenagers that drive muscle cars or sports cars usually have to pay more for insurance.

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

My principle is the only computer that should be making shifts is the one behind the steering wheel. I've only driven autos before buying my Mazda, and it was a bit of a hassle to have it in the gear I want for a given hill or section.

Paddles make it more bearable, but there is no doubt in my mind that when I'm doing more than just cruising or sitting in traffic I will always want a stick.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Eh, I drive an auto and 95% of the time I'm glad about that as I don't want to be bothered shifting most of the time. 

I find it troublesome to have an autobox in the gear I want at a given time. Giving just enough gas to coax a downshift on a tight uphill, but not so much that I'm going to slip out the front tires. The Mazda (and most newer cars) have an option for a sort of manumatic system where you can choose gears (though the design is still based on planetary gears and torque converter), though in economy cars, these are usually geared for fuel efficiency rather than acceleration (primary reason autos tend to get better highway fuel economy nowadays, just fyi), and the torque converter still saps some power at lower speeds where it doesn't lock up.

Of course, I commute through the mountains instead of stop and go traffic, and have a total of four stoplights throughout 40 miles of commute. Right tool for the job and all that I suppose.

My eyes see the past…