7900X Coming In Hot?!

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

At 5GHz+ and higher voltage*

Fucking hell... Dood, the CPU was still getting to 80-90C under load (yes with a higher voltage, yes at 5GHz)

BUT MY POINT IS: A 280mm AiO IS NOT ENOUGH FOR THIS CPU, YOU NEED SOMETHING BETTER (if you want to overclock)

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Der Bauer got a one-of-a-kind chip. So far only his chip can hit 4.8GHz without the temperature going ballistic.

What? At 4.8Ghz he was getting 90C....

4 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

1-2-4) its still a 140-160w tdp chip i want to see how well an hyper 212 evo cools that, even at stock speeds

3) A 220$ x299 will have wht more feature? Rgb? One more pcie 8x ( i remebre you that the 7800x has 28 pcie lanes)? 8 dimms slots ( so 128gbs vs 64).

I still cobsider that not very relevant, especially considering the 150% price difference

The Hyper 212 Evo was enough for a 5820K with an OC, so I cannot understand why it would not be enough for the 7800X.

Features: More SATA ports, more NVMe slots, more PCIe slots (Ryzen has only 16 lanes), more power phases, better components, more memory channels, more USB ports, better audio etc

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Not wanting to go too far off topic but I will answer. No I'm not particularly doing that in threads. Look at my recent ones they are nothing if balanced, hell I even told someone looking for an upgrade to go X299 earlier so...

What you are right about is I do ignore "not interested in AMD" but I ignore this because I know why they say it and its dumb. AMD has had some shit products, but Ryzen isn't shit so it shouldn't be auto ruled out because of its retarded siblings. It is because of this and "hate AMD" general attitude that novices think this so I do still discuss Ryzen if I think their use case will suit it.

Point being, the justification for you going off topic suits you, therefore you do it.  I don't fault you for that as that's what forums are all about.  

Who are you to tell me or anyone else what suits us and why we should now NOT do what you do yourself?

With all of that said, your thread is no exception to the rule on LTT.  Try not to demand of us anything your don't practice yourself.  

"Asshole" ending rant.  :D

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

3 days, and still nothing better to talk about :-(

You must never see my "It's the LTT way" posts.  lol

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

BUT MY POINT IS: A 280mm AiO IS NOT ENOUGH FOR THIS CPU, YOU NEED SOMETHING BETTER (if you want to overclock)

You aren't getting it so i'll be clearer. If he had hit high temps at 4.8 which he did. Then he delidded it and left the voltage/frequency the same then he would drop 15-20 deg I'm sure, just like you would with a 7700k. By delidding it and then increasing voltage even more yes he still got high temps but he pushed the chip further after the delid.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yezzzzzzz

You need a "custom loop with a thicc rad"

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, tom_w141 said:

You aren't getting it so i'll be clearer. If he had hit high temps at 4.8 which he did. Then he delidded it and left the voltage/frequency the same then he would drop 15-20 deg I'm sure, just like you would with a 7700k. By delidding it and then increasing voltage even more yes he still got high temps but he pushed the chip further after the delid.

I know, but why would you delid if you don't want to push the CPU to its limits? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

What? At 4.8Ghz he was getting 90C....

What? You don't agree Der Bauer's chip is one-of-a kind?

Just now, Pohernori said:

Yezzzzzzz

You need a "custom loop with a thicc rad"

Way to go full circle.  I likes! :D

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Point being, the justification for you going off topic suits you, therefore you do it.  I don't fault you for that as that's what forums are all about.  

Who are you to tell me or anyone else what suits us and why we should now NOT do what you do yourself?

With all of that said, your thread is no exception to the rule on LTT.  Try not to demand of us anything your don't practice yourself.  

"Asshole" ending rant.  :D

Difference is those are threads about which cpu to buy regarding performance so I discuss performance. If I started posting about thermals they'd be like wtf man? Like them talking about X299 being a better performer then me posting below "yeah but Ryzen is cooler" they would reply "cool, but that's not the topic like at all, I'm asking which has the performance i'm after"

Easier to understand now? Also see edit to previous.

15 minutes ago, Deli said:

7900X isn't the little 7700K. It's die isn't as big as 1080 Ti of course. But also not much smaller than a 1080. 1080 can easily draw more than 200w overclock.

I agree, but still and apple and oranges comparison.  You're absolutely right, a 1080 Ti, especially BIOS unlocked can easily exceed 200w.  I've broke 1000w with 2 x 1080 TIs and a 7700k.  :D

I do love how Custom Loop water cooling has gone from "yeah, I can keep the CPU & GPUs under 50c on full load" to "Yeah, I can keep it from melting the case".  We're getting pretty close to "well, LN2 is a great way to cool a computer!".

Phase Change to make a big comeback.  Minus the fact that Coffeelake is a few months off and that'll be the Gaming and medium-level content CPU from Intel to get.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

What? You don't agree Der Bauer's chip is one-of-a kind?

I didn't say that it's not, this is what you said tho:

14 minutes ago, Deli said:

Der Bauer got a one-of-a-kind chip. So far only his chip can hit 4.8GHz without the temperature going ballistic.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I know, but why would you delid if you don't want to push the CPU to its limits? 

Because I don't want to be 90+ degrees maybe? If it were me I'd stop at 4.8 in the 70s and that would be the ceiling of what I think is ok for my chip. I might push it to bench but I'd certainly drop it back after.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The Hyper 212 Evo was enough for a 5820K with an OC, so I cannot understand why it would not be enough for the 7800X.

Features: More SATA ports, more NVMe slots, more PCIe slots (Ryzen has only 16 lanes), more power phases, better components, more memory channels, more USB ports, better audio etc

A 5820k that was soldered, not glued with toothpaste. 

More power phases and better componenets are no-use if you can achieve already  the maximum oc and being stable on the cheaper alternative.

More memory channel: show me a real task that does truly improve with 4 memory channels and more than 64gbs of ram that wouldn't  better be suited with server like equipment. 

More sata ports: 8 vs 10?

More usb ports: 10 vs 12? ( rear)

Even on the better audio: usually or you go big ( sound card) or else all the integrated audio solution are about the same.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Difference is those are threads about which cpu to buy regarding performance so I discuss performance. If I started posting about thermals they'd be like wtf man? Like them talking about X299 being a better performer then me posting below "yeah but Ryzen is cooler" they would reply "cool, but that's not the topic like at all, I'm asking which has the performance i'm after"

Easier to understand now?

And yet still off topic because the OP specially ask you not to do that, just as you are asking us to not do now.

Do you understand now?

Your justification for doing so makes sense to you.  Let others choose their level of justification.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Way to go full circle.  I likes! :D

Only a full circle? 

we went so many rounds around the circle that we've made the god particle 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I agree, but still and apple and oranges comparison.  You're absolutely right, a 1080 Ti, especially BIOS unlocked can easily exceed 200w.  I've broke 1000w with 2 x 1080 TIs and a 7700k.  :D

1000w!!! Holy smoke.

I only has a peasant 860w PSU.

Just now, Deli said:

1000w!!! Holy smoke.

Yeah, push a 1080 Ti to 1.193v and run it at 2200 MHz and power draw goes through the roof and performance scaling doesn't even really justify it.  :(  2100 to 2150 MHz is a pretty good area to stay with them.  

Just now, Flavio hc 16 said:

A 5820k that was soldered, not glued with toothpaste. 

So what? The 7800X will run hotter at the same voltage, but if you use less voltage it will run just as cool. And FYI Dow Corning TC-1996 is by no means "thoothpaste"

1 minute ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

More power phases and better componenets are no-use if you can achieve already  the maximum oc and being stable on the cheaper alternative.

More memory channel: show me a real task that does truly improve with 4 memory channels and more than 64gbs of ram that wouldn't  better be suited with server like equipment. 

More sata ports: 8 vs 10?

More usb ports: 10 vs 12? ( rear)

Even on the better audio: usually or you go big ( sound card) or else all the integrated audio solution are about the same.

What I understand from what you just said: "I have no use for those features, so they are completely useless"

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I do love how Custom Loop water cooling has gone from "yeah, I can keep the CPU & GPUs under 50c on full load" to "Yeah, I can keep it from melting the case".  

Double standards baby.

AMD runs hot "lmao space heater"

Intel runs in to the 90s and it becomes the new acceptable standard xD 

To show this further look at pre 2017 posts against recent when Intel started to get hot. People asking if 60-70 deg on broadwell-E was too hot. Fast forward to 2017 and they are comparatively chilly xD 

I didn't say that it's not, this is what you said tho:

Only my first sentence is the key point.

I only meant you can't use Der Bauer's chip as an example for what most people will get.

Just now, Deli said:

1000w!!! Holy smoke.

With my 4790k and 2 980tis all under quite heavy oc i had to change 3 broken 850w psu before i got that i was destroyng them and changed it with  a 1000w psu. Still under sintetic load i have see 960w power consumption without any problem

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

And yet still off topic because the OP specially ask you not to do that, just as you are asking us to not do now.

Do you understand now?

Your justification for doing so makes sense to you.  Let others choose their level of justification.  

You can discuss thermals all you like irrespective of manufacturer as this thread is about thermals and power, not performance.

But I'm bored of butting heads on the subject :P Most people are picking out the on topic comments anyway so the odd performance chart/comment doesn't stray us too far :) 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Double standards baby.

To show this further look at pre 2017 posts against recent when Intel started to get hot. People asking if 60-70 deg on broadwell-E was too hot. Fast forward to 2017 and they are comparatively chilly xD 

Intel actually hasn't gotten any hotter until Skylake than historical. It's just the Dozer cores had to be run near the surface of the Sun because their design just didn't keep up with the Core architecture. Dozers run cool enough if you aren't trying to keep up with a full gaming load (which it isn't very grand at). 

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Because performance is there. The 9590 was a space heater and performed worse than an i5. The 7900X is a space heater, but it performs 3-4x better than an i5 :P

1 minute ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

With my 4790k and 2 980tis all under quite heavy oc i had to change 3 broken 850w psu before i got that i was destroyng them and changed it with  a 1000w psu. Still under sintetic load i have see 960w power consumption without any problem

Good lord. Unluckily I have no plan to do two GPUs. :)