7900X Coming In Hot?!

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

No, the point was, you don't know what's what.  But you're going to talk about it anyways.  

You never inquired any further about what is actually was as that wasn't your intent behind the thread.  

I'm glad that you understand better now though.  You're better armed for further Intel bashing.  You're welcome.  

Man you're an asshole sometimes. I was slightly off yes and I admitted I searched it to further my understanding, so? Your precious core temps are still going to be in the high 80s so instead of talking down to me with your little sidekick @PCGuy_5960 who seems to have "auto agree" configured to any of your posts, why don't you comment on the actual issue. Are you able to distance yourself enough from Intel to admit maybe these temps are too high? Because it doesn't matter what temp it specifically is its too high. I know you are a big fan but why are you defending them so heavily? These are ludicrous temperatures, the cpu should be soldered and you know it, yet you just can't seem to be able to say that in some way Intel isn't perfect.

EDIT: Oh and if I had issues like this with my chip I'd sure as shit slag it off. I have no loyalty to any brand I know I'm a customer and nothing but $$ to them.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

seems to have "auto agree" configured to any of your posts

Same thing with you and Intel hate posts

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I doubt that GN spent a lot of time tweaking, so they probably left the VCCIN at auto. (Which could explain those insanely high package temps)

There were people saying that the CPU ran full speed on stock bios. 7900X was running 4GHz all the time. There's definitely more updates to be had. :) 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

How about you all take a break from this thread for a few hours otherwise it's going to get locked.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

19 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Even running it at 4.3 to 4.4 should give you decent temps and a nice performance bump.   Admittedly, I'd personally run it much higher.  I'm just glad that if we choose to address the heat with more cooling, it will continue to scale higher and higher (within reason). 

Since I'll be using a Noctua D15S, I doubt I'll be able to push it 'hard' anyway.
Shame they didn't solder these as it would have helped drop temps nicely.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Man you're an asshole sometimes. I was slightly off yes and I admitted I searched it to further my understanding, so?

Yeah, you're right.  No big deal as your thread was based on PACKAGE temps, but you didn't even really know what they were or care to ask what they were until I ask you if you even knew what they were.

That sir is laughable stuff from a guy that proclaims to be a professional.  Spent 13 pages talking about temps that you really didn't fully understand.  

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Your precious core temps are still going to be in the high 80s so instead of talking down to me with your little sidekick @PCGuy_5960 who seems to have "auto agree" configured to any of your posts, why don't you comment on the actual issue. Are you able to distance yourself enough from Intel to admit maybe these temps are too high? Because it doesn't matter what temp it specifically is its too high. I know you are a big fan but why are you defending them so heavily? These are ludicrous temperatures, the cpu should be soldered and you know it, yet you just can't seem to be able to say that in some way Intel isn't perfect.

To further make things worth, you're doing more assuming.  Seems to be a trend with you.

If you go back through my posts, you'll see that I already REPEATEDLY said it was high.  You really only see what you want to see.  Obviously frustration is getting the best of you as it's happen NUMEROUS times already.  

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How about you all take a break from this thread for a few hours otherwise it's going to get locked.

Solid copy.

I'm done then. Don't want to get myself in trouble. :) 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Now that I think about it, locking it wouldn't be a bad idea TBH :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm not really supposed to moderate a thread I'm participating in so I'll leave that to someone else to do if they see fit, plus it's 4am and grumpy/sleepy me makes bad decisions.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Obviously frustration is getting the best of you as it's happen NUMEROUS times already.  

GN said core was close. Close in my book is <10. Yes I got frustrated because you came in and attacked me because it happened to be me who reported the news. You wouldn't have done so if it wasn't me so that was hurtful as I felt targeted and yes I was frustrated. My apologies for being rude in response. Numerous people have said similar things but i'm the only hater somehow...  Having an opinion is fine, targeting me and ignoring others who say the same is not cool. I guess we have to wait and see for the detailed analysis as to exactly what temps were what. Though even if its 20 degrees difference then high 70s isn't good by any means either tbh.

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If people stop attacks on an individual basis and discuss the topic at hand there is no reason why this isn't a relevant news topic up for discussion :P 

On the actual topic, I believe I mentioned many iterations of the Intel vs AMD argument ago that the most likely scenario we're seeing is problems with the BIOS. These are still Skylake cores, so they're going to run hot when pushed.  This is known.  What isn't known is the issues with Turbo Boost 3.0 and some issues with 2.0 as well.  They were pushing out really important updates on Friday before a Monday NDA drop date.

Some of these temps should come down as tweaks to the Vcore settings and auto-OC are sorted out.  I think a lot of the power issues come down to no one actually getting the chips to run at "stock" properly. Once some more revisions are seen in the BIOS of the main Motherboards, we'll have a better idea.

Also, running a i7-7900X at 4.7 Ghz all-core is going to be the same as running a 6700k/7700k at that. Just with 2.5x the heat output & power draw.  There's just no way around that.  These are Skylake cores, they haven't magically gotten 25% more power efficient. 

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Though even if its 20 degrees difference then high 70s isn't good by any means either tbh.

High 70s is VERY good for a 10 core CPU....

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

On the actual topic, I believe I mentioned many iterations of the Intel vs AMD argument ago that the most likely scenario we're seeing is problems with the BIOS. These are still Skylake cores, so they're going to run hot when pushed.  This is known.  What isn't known is the issues with Turbo Boost 3.0 and some issues with 2.0 as well.  They were pushing out really important updates on Friday before a Monday NDA drop date.

Some of these temps should come down as tweaks to the Vcore settings and auto-OC are sorted out.  I think a lot of the power issues come down to no one actually getting the chips to run at "stock" properly. Once some more revisions are seen in the BIOS of the main Motherboards, we'll have a better idea.

Also, running a i7-7900X at 4.7 Ghz all-core is going to be the same as running a 6700k/7700k at that. Just with 2.5x the heat output & power draw.  There's just no way around that.  These are Skylake cores, they haven't magically gotten 25% more power efficient. 

Oh hey its the thread topic :) welcome back. GN said they had the BIOS updates btw

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Oh hey its the thread topic :) welcome back. GN said they had the BIOS updates btw

Yup.  I think we're seeing a lot of the real problems because the Vcore is being auto clocked too high.  The 7900X should do 4.5 Ghz all-core on Water without too much issue.  Pushing past that is going to rapidly increase the heat & power draw. While it might not be quite the hard-limit that Zen cores run into at 4 Ghz because of the process, but it's still a pretty big wall to get run into at that range.

The reality is that these are low to mid 3 Ghz base clocked chips that everyone suddenly wants to run at least 1 Ghz over base, at all times.  And we're talking on large Rads to get stable OC at a high level.  On air, these aren't close to the level people are talking. 

That also brings up something I haven't seen: has anyone tested these on Air yet? Kind of an important market segment.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

That also brings up something I haven't seen: has anyone tested these on Air yet? Kind of an important market segment.

I am sure just seeing comment is making people cringe at the thought. lol. I am interested as well too.

@done12many2 @PCGuy_5960

Just ordered my 7820X! Free 2-day from B&H! Going to order the mobo on Saturday!

3 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

@done12many2 @PCGuy_5960

Just ordered my 7820X! Free 2-day from B&H! Going to order the mobo on Saturday!

Nice! Have fun delidding and overclocking it! Although, this isn't the best thread to post this in :/xD

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nice! Have fun delidding and overclocking it! Although, this isn't the best thread to post this in :/xD

Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement. xD 

29 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

@done12many2 @PCGuy_5960

Congrats bud.  

I'm banking on the fact that Micro Center is going to have plenty of chips of stock on launch day.  I plan to be there bright and early.